M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a specific model of either in mind at the moment but was curious of a general comparision between them. I know the trigger will take some time to smooth out on both. I do like the fact the the M&P is made in the US and parts and mags will most likely be cheaper and have better availibilty. I've heard that S&W customer service is great compared to HK, but I've rarely head of someone having any issues with a HK. How's the long term reliability compare between the two? What if the SHTF, which would you rather have? What about differences in build quality-is the price difference worth it? I'm sure I left some other questions out. Thanks for you opinion!DI2

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I have heard alot of complaints about the USP pistol, but not really other products.

Aren't the M&P and Hk actually in different price brackets?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't have a specific model of either in mind at the moment but was curious of a general comparision between them. I know the trigger will take some time to smooth out on both. I do like the fact the the M&P is made in the US and parts and mags will most likely be cheaper and have better availibilty. I've heard that S&W customer service is great compared to HK, but I've rarely head of someone having any issues with a HK. How's the long term reliability compare between the two? What if the SHTF, which would you rather have? What about differences in build quality-is the price difference worth it? I'm sure I left some other questions out. Thanks for you opinion!DI2
I recommended that you take a look at the M&P in your other thread. It's a fine handgun, and will serve you well.

I've owned multiple HK products (2 USP45 Compacts and 1 USP45 Tactical). They all shot well, but were nothing special. I don't own them anymore as I transitioned to striker-fired handguns.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a USP Tac and love it. The only things I dont like about it (all specific to the Tac) are: The sights have no dots and I have been unable to find any high-profile/match grade sights to replace them with. Because the Tac has a high front sight I have been unable to find any holsters specific to that weapons such as the SERPA I have and adore for the XD(M).

In all honesty I bought it because I've wanted a USP Tac for ever. Is it worth $1200ish? Depends on how bad you want it. The XD(M) is 9/10 of the pistol that the USP is for $500 less give or take. IDK what HK pistol you had in mind but that is my .02. GL with whatever you get though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have a USP Tac and love it. The only things I dont like about it (all specific to the Tac) are: The sights have no dots and I have been unable to find any high-profile/match grade sights to replace them with. Because the Tac has a high front sight I have been unable to find any holsters specific to that weapons such as the SERPA I have and adore for the XD(M).

In all honesty I bought it because I've wanted a USP Tac for ever. Is it worth $1200ish? Depends on how bad you want it. The XD(M) is 9/10 of the pistol that the USP is for $500 less give or take. IDK what HK pistol you had in mind but that is my .02. GL with whatever you get though.
Try giving John Willis at OSOE Gear a call or email and tell him what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have heard alot of complaints about the USP pistol, but not really other products.
Seriously...a lot of complaints with the USP but not others. Guess you have never heard of Gen 4 Glocks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im a big fan of my M&P45 (in FDE with thumb safety). I plan on having the slide machined for a red dot and the APEX trigger kits installed. With all that done, I think it would still be cheaper than an H&K pistol. I am Biased, but my M&P has served me well, and even stock I shoot it rather well. I have stippled the entire frame so its extra "grippy" - I got bored and saw the Wood burning tool... It happens.. Now I shoot it even better and love it that much more.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I dislike the triggers in both the M&P and MOST HKs. The ergonomics of the HK45 and P30 are the best of any handgun I've felt. However the M&P is very good and better than the other guns in the HK line.

I do not own a M&P, but the ones my friends have and I've shot are fine guns. I own the HK45 and P30 [for the ergos] and really like both of them. They are both built very well and I would be comfortable in SHTF. I don't plan I buying more HKs because I hate HK fanboys. I basically refuse to go onto hkpro forum.

Here's a recent range report from my HK45:
http://m14forum.com/handguns/127049-what-i-replaced-my-1911-a.html

Here's endurance tests for the HK45 and P30
http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027
http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668

Damnit, I'm sounding like a HK fanboy. Well, HK customer service sucks. I called them to ask about replacement shorter slide releases as the stock ones don't hold the slide back due to thumb position. Their response was basically that their product was perfect and I should learn to shoot better.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Seriously...a lot of complaints with the USP but not others. Guess you have never heard of Gen 4 Glocks.

i think you misunderstood.

i meant to say other HK products.

not sure why anyone would think i have never heard a complaint about another pistol.

just scroll down in the handgun forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My brother is on the NC Highway patrol and HATES the m&p that he was issued. Of course it replaced a sig he loved. His scores have gone down and he usually has a problem with cycling at least once at the range. He has also told me that he is not the only one who has had problems. It's a 357 sig but don't know the model. I am also not sure if they went through the recall. Can't say about the hk, love my P9S though.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've shot an M&P.. thought it was pretty cool. I like the idea of it being able to change out calibers. I guess it has the more bang for buck features... especially if you look at mag prices and accessories.
I've owned several HK products... and now I'm only holding on to just one as I don't plan to purchase anything HK at this point. I hate the prices on their mags, and it is a bitch to find stuff that'll fit HK's like holsters and attachments... and when you try to get both to fit it will be impossible to find unless you have it custom made. To top things off, parts and mags are proprietary (can't use a .45 USP with an HK45 mag) and what's with this left handed threaded barrels, and when they have a right handed threaded barrel it had to be different?!

I haven't done any hardcore shooting with that M&P, but I can vouch for HK.. I've shot over thousands of rounds through'em without cleaning or oiling and they just kept eating what ever I fed'em and spat them out with no or hardly any issues. I guess this is where you get what you paid for.

Not trying to promote HK... just sharing my own personal experience.

There are a lot of good pistols out there. Hope you find the right one for you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a 45 and 9c in the M&P and love them both. They eat whatever I put through them. I really like the triggers on them both and they are accurate. My bil is a raving HK nut and has been drinking their kool-aid for a long time. He got rid of all his Glock and Sigs and will only fondle HKs. He's a kook but not for owning HKs. HKs are twice the money of M&Ps so they don't even compete with each other at that price point.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My HK USP 40 has been 100 percent reliable. I would trust my life with it. It takes a little practice with the magazine release.

Reactions: louie

·
Registered
82 Posts
My HK USP 40 has been 100 percent reliable. I would trust my life with it. It takes a little practice with the magazine release.
This reminds me of some other things I don't like about my USP the mags are expensive. Mine came with one HK mad and a knock off. The knock off has never worked for crap. Many FTFs and it usually will not lock the slide back. I understand that non-OEM mag compatibility is not an issue with the pistol but with the prices for the mags it kind of is.

Another thing is the factory HK mag HATES American Eagle ammo. I think what happens is when the slide returns forward and strips a round out of the mag the "lip" of the casing where it meets the projectile gets hung up on the forward wall of the mag. It could be a bad mag or it is getting worn out as I have no idea how old it is or anything else related to the health of the spring.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have 2 USP' s. A usp40 and a usp9. They are both equipped the the jet flow kit for the hi cap mags. My 40 is my go to handgun and I love it. I bought the 9 because it was a good deal.
It's true you pay more for the mags and accessories but IMHO hk's are hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I have an HK USP "Compact" in .357 Sig. It was the third pistol I bought and the first two are long gone. Still have the HK. It fits my hand, is utterly reliable, and I shoot it well. Good trigger on mine now. The safety/de-cocker works well for me since it works like a 1911 if I want it to. I really like the mag release but use my middle finger on the right side. Too darn big to carry CCW though, at least for me.

I recently bought a P2000sk, also .357 Sig. I HATE the "LEM" trigger. Slightly gritty, too long a pull, and the "short reset" point is hard to find reliably. Seriously, I like the trigger on my KelTec PF-9 better.

No experience with the M&P pistols.

Reactions: Bad Mojo

·
Registered
64 Posts
100% with any ammo on my P2000 in 40. Probably a 1000 rounds or so.

Family has carried the USPC as a duty weapon, and had zero issues after the gun was broken in and cleaned after the first few hundred rounds.

I have no M&P experience. Yet.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That article basically sums up my opinion on HKs as well. Both my HKs have trigger jobs because they were terrible stock. They are now only comparable to other companies. I did not pay full price, or anywhere near it, for either of them. In fact I paid less for the P30 with night sights and trigger job than I would have for a stock Glock 17. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it as they are way overpriced.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The only HK pistol I have, which I think is a genius piece of Teutonic engineering, is the HK P7 pistol. It is all steel and the manual of arms when mastered brings the pistol into operation fast - reloads are guick!
Flaw: it heats up fast, wear nomex gloves.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts