M14 Forum banner

M-25 Trigger on a Loaded M1A???

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  M21guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I'm looking for a new/better trigger for my SA loaded M1A. I've been doing some research and there are not many options. I have seen the M-25 trigger group from SA.

Has anyone switched to this group?

Is it worth it?

Can I simply swap the group myself? SA recommends I send it to them...I'm not too interested in sending it away for several weeks.

Any info would help, thanks.

#4 ·
You may want to try a trigger job on your existing group first. It may be what you are looking for and be more cost efficent.I had one done on my M1D and had excellent results. If you decide to go this route, PM me adn I will give you thecontact info for the guy who did mine. GI5

#5 ·
Dale Raider desinged the M25 adjustable trigger for SAI. I am sure it will work as advertised. I have never had one in my hands so I really can't account for a first hand experience. It is the standard trigger group on the SAI M25. I am not sure what the range of adjustment is either.
I am with the rest of the bunch. Find a smith that has done many trigger jobs and send the rifle off to him for a NM trigger job. It should emliminate any creep and give you a crisp break. Should break right around 4 1/2 lbs.
If you want the trigger thereafter and have the cash, by all means get the trigger. I know Daleis a member on the forum I have seen him chime in from time to time. Maybe he will give you more info.

#7 ·
The M25 trigger assembly is adjustable from 1.5-4.5 lbs (claimed). If you read the reviews on some sites that offer them for sale, you'll find that not everyone was pleased with them. Your best bet is to go with a smith like you stated in your post above. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

#11 ·
Can anyone post photos? I'm designing an adjustable sear that will let you adjust second stage engagement, and I'm curious how this trigger works.

In my opinion (and I am not a high end shooter, so take it with a grain of salt), trying to fine tune trigger weight is all well and good, but is hardly critical. If you have 4.5 lb, versus 5 lb pull is probably no big deal.

The bigger deal, indeed the biggest deal, is second stage trigger creep. Once you hit the second stage, you want no more travel in the trigger before the hammer falls. You get this in a trigger job by stoning the sear tips, but that is a 1 way street (as my grand dad used to say "we got lots of taking off machines, but not so many puttin-on machines). Also, if you stone through the nitro carburized layer, you expose softer steel underneath, and you will be plagued with wear.

Art

#12 ·
I've been using the Rader trigger for some time on my Scout. I think the reason SAI wants to install it for you is that, at least unless you're using an original SAI stock, it won't fit. Take a close look at the picture on the Midway site (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=887217). The adjustment of the trigger pull is accomplished using that post sticking up just above the trigger. Since that's not there on a standard trigger group, there's no room for it in the cutout in the stock the trigger group goes through during lockup (at least not in any USGI wood or synthetic, or match stock I tried it in, and I tried quite a few). To get it to fit, you need to open up that area of the stock.

It gets worse. Look closely at the top of that post. There's a threaded stud sticking out the top (you screw it up and down to change trigger pull) and a nut that locks the adjustment in place. It's hard to see because of the lighting, but you can see the nut sticks out forward of the post; well, it also sticks out the same amount to the rear, where there's already no room in the stock's cutout. I had to find the smallest replacement nut that I had on hand, then grind off the flats until there was little more than a threaded hole left before I could eliminate the interference.

As to performance, the lighter trigger pull is definitely an advantage on the bench, but the trigger is not as smooth as the one that came with the Scout, which I think had some trigger work done on it.

#13 ·
SAi installed mine when the rifle was just a walnut stocked loaded. No flats had to be ground on the retaining nut. Stock was just opened up to except it was all. Tight fit for sure though. Much more room and material to work with latter building the rifle using an over sized stock like SAi M21 version that I used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.