M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody catch the Vietnam edition of Mail Call tonight?

One segment was on the debate over why we switched from the M-14 to M-16. Pretty good historical info.

The segment included (of course!) a live-fire between the aforementioned weapons. The M-14 in question looked pretty nice, brown fiberglass handguard and had a selector lock in place, while the MouseGun appeared to be an original M-16 (no forward assist).

The watermelons were dispatched accordingly... :mrgreen:

It'll probably be on again this weekend.

Spike

PS: One later segment spoke about the Brown Water Navy and had a mention of Swift Boats. Didn't see Mr. Kerry... :-k

·
Registered
947 Posts
Was on last night. The gunny was a ground-airdale and never had to hump his "beloved" M14. And the twit with the white wig kept blathering the mid 1960s reliability crap about the M16. If you don't clean 'em, they don't work.

Shooting watermellons proves nothing about bullet terminal effect, but looks good on TV I guess.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh not the old M-16 vs the M-14 issue again. Having carried and shot both to many times to count the simple truth is M-16 is a lady and you have to take care of her, treat her nice, whisper sweet nothings in her ear. The M-14 is a flithy tramp who likes to get dirty and smacked around. The 5.56 has nothing in stopping power compared to the 7.62 (were talking ball ammo here) but you can carry more ammo with the 16 and it's lighter. Pros and cons, yin and yang, ford or chevy. The 16 has had a long running and I belive its time for a change in calber and weapon. The 6.8 looks promising. I'm sure it'll be a long wait, this is the government we are talking about.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
[quote="Chuck S"The gunny was a ground-airdale and never had to hump his "beloved" M14.

-- Chuck[/quote] Just remember every marine is a rifleman. Even airdales.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I love how marines parrot the "very marine a rifleman' as if it means anything. Marine infantry is first class, of course. Marine aviation ground maintenance crews may have some rifle proficiency, but it's only on their own time.

The 5.56mm wound is much larger than any 7.62mm wound. But lets not let wound ballistics get into the mix. Lets talk "stopping power." I'm still waiting for a defination on that. Until I see 7.62mm putting bigger holes in targets than 5.56mm "(were talking ball ammo here)", I'll stick with the admittedly radical notion that the bigger the hole I can put in the target the better.

M14 was one of my first two loves. (My other was Bobbi.) But the M14 as a general purpose infantry rifle has no advantages. Not with M80 Ball.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do beleive you have your ballistics swapped around backward.

As in: The 7.62 wound is much larger that a 5.56.

I will also add this small thought. A 150 gr .30 cal bullet is over 1" long and will swap ends inside of a human. I have shot MANY deer with a 150 gr FMJ and they are devestating. Much more so than a 5.56 using 55 FMJs or spritzers. I have shot plenty of deer with those bullets, as well.

Bigger is better but there is no substitute for shot placement, on critters of any size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.