M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have M-14 gas cylinders been reproduced by SA Inc or others? If so is there any way to tell the difference?

I have two known good USGI cylinders that I recently received which I compared against a NM modified cylinder that I had on my MKS. I exchanged a known good CMP cylinder for this one about a year or so ago. The NM cylinder seems bulkier than the pair of USGI cylinders I bought.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
A bunch of companies make them. I have even seen one that appeared to be made of iron. Boy was it rusted. magnet stuck real strongly to it too. Gi is a stainless steel. I really don't know how to tell what yours is without seeing it but look for casting marks or other giveaways. It it usualy pretty obvious.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
All USGI M14 gas cylinders are marked.It's not easy to see because the marks are "molded" into the outside of the gas cylinders.They are marked on the front or rear right side.

You really have to know what to look for.The best way to describe the markings is "ghost print".

Winchesters have an eagle on the rear right side.
SA is marked SA on the front right side.
I don't remember the TRW.I have some here and I'll look for one.

I'm looking at a new Winchester gas cylinder (just taken out of the can) with a good marking and I'll post it tommorrow for all to see. :wink:

HTH
warbird out.

·
Registered
846 Posts
wow i'll have to look cloesr at my GI cylinders

SA does make their own gas cylinders. i bought a couple in the white last summer from them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.