M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornin Gents-

I have a SAI National Match built in Dec 1983... so I'm assuming a medium weight national match NON chrome lined barrel...rifle was bought brand new by my father. Probably has about 500 rnds through the barrel..... so my question is what kind of barrel life can I expect with this barrel and its current round count?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
From what I've heard, MATCH shooters start to get antsy at about 4,000 rounds. But for a regular shooter like me, they're good for a lot more. I swapped out my non-chrome lined Wilson barrel at about 10,000 rounds. I replaced it with a chrome lined USGI which will outlast me, at today's ammo prices.

JWB

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The SAI factory "NM" barrels from then were standard contour, commercially-produced, not chrome-lined, most of 'em shot real good. You ought to be able to expect 3,500 to 4,000 accurate rounds if you clean it every hundred or so and lap with JB Paste every 750-1,000.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Your methods control barrel life

Rapid firing, and cleaning methods control barrel life.
Improper cleaning methods can damage a barrel faster than shooting it out.
I suggest you purchase an erosion gauge and measure it now, record the measurment for latter reference. Shoot for years or thousands of rounds, compare as round count goes up. Read up on proper cleaning tools and methods. For good barrel life limit the rapid fire sessions(not rapid fire competition) I mean dumping 20 rounds as fast as you can.
Compare over time your results and group size, when the group size changes try different loads. When the group size gets larger than desired swap out your barrel.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.