M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not satisfied with commercially available wrenches, so I decided to make my own.

[/IMG],

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
That looks cool, have you thought of making a twin handle with a 1/4 non-ratchiting drive nipple in the center so a 3/8's socket would fit, it could be used on both the M1 and M1A a sort of a two for one combo tool? I would think 6-8' in total lenth would give plenty toqure.

Just my .02

·
Registered
623 Posts
That is awesome,I'm with BrokenVet.If you could make more Im sure you could sell them to forum members.
Looks well made as well.Awesome and unique Christmas gift for for good friends with Garands.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Yep, super work you did there.....whats with the case head at the end of the handle, is it hollow and the whole round in there for a spare DI2......is it permanent, and if so how is it fastened?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. I have not thought about making them to sell, I had some spare time at work the other day and decided to make one just for the heck of it. Spare time at work is rare so it would be difficult to make any more.I do have a lathe at home but most of the work is done on the milling machine. Its made from A2 tool steel(knurling that stuff is a PITA). The wrench head and the handle are assembled using a .001 press fit. I then added a .125 dia. pin thru the end of the handle for some added strength. The pin was left a little long so i could machine the end of the handle, doing so removes any evidence of a pin being there. it gives it a clean look. The case head in the handle is a '69 LC '06 Fired from my '53 correct grade HRA M-1 for which the wrench was made. It was cut off about a 1/4 in. from the base and is also a press fit into the handle. It just goes to show that things can be assembled without the use of screws and Loc tite, it just takes some precision machine work.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
What a Crafsman..

When I this kind of craftsmanship it makes that junk made in China and elsewhere not worth the reduced price. This Gentleman wins the "Big Red" award for the Month.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I this kind of craftsmanship it makes that junk made in China and elsewhere not worth the reduced price. This Gentleman wins the "Big Red" award for the Month.
Thanks for the complement Art. BTW how much$$ comes along with that "Big Red" award?GI2

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,105 Posts
Beautiful Job!

I'm using a wrench made by an old AMU Armorer out of a NM op rod. What I'd like to see is a wrench with a head like this one made as a 3/8" drive socket. That way it could be used with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm using a wrench made by an old AMU Armorer out of a NM op rod. What I'd like to see is a wrench with a head like this one made as a 3/8" drive socket. That way it could be used with a torque wrench.
Good idea. Make it/sell it as socket head that will fit on a torque wrench or ratchet.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
It's an impressive piece of machine work by any measure. It'd be commercially-successful, IMHO, if you were to manufacture it as a slide-together 3 piece unit, each with the 3/8" square opening, for 1) M1 slot, 2) M1 cruciform, 3) M14. Might even be patentable.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I'm sitting here in awe of men that have the talent to work with metal like the examples above. Just amazing! I now know what "green with envy" feels like.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with the above, it is most impressive! I have no doubt that these would sell easily. Most of us have a couple of Garands in the closet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts