M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone used to make a bolt stop for the M-1 Garand that worked like the M-14 , you had to pull op-rod to release the bolt. Called the M-1 thumb eliminator or something like that. Used to see the ad in American Rifleman. Anybody know if these are still around. I know an shooter with arthritis that it may help.

·
Registered
947 Posts
According to Kuhnhausen's book all you have to do is remove the accellerator (the little wobbly part) from the op rod catch and the rifle will function like the M14: pull the slide to the rear to chamber the first round in the clip.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Don't mess with your op rod catch, just order a holbrook device from Dean's Gun Restorations.

I have one on one of my Garands & it works like a champ.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
colt100 said:
OR, you could just learn how to load the rifle correctly........ :roll:
Or, you could stop making assumptions about the competence of people that you have never met. Christ... :roll:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sounds like a cool deal to me have to give Dean A call thank's guys I learn something everytime I sign on here at 14- Forum 8). The best bunch of gun nuts on the net!!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I expect it would. That's a good question.

·
Registered
145 Posts
holbrook

Well, let me try a possibly dumb one: my SLED, once inserted and locked in, will jump out as soon as I pull the op rod to the rear. Seems like this device could possibly cure this also? No?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No idea, I've never used a sled.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quagmire said:
colt100 said:
OR, you could just learn how to load the rifle correctly........ :roll:
Or, you could stop making assumptions about the competence of people that you have never met. Christ... :roll:
Well, I figured if he was asking about a device to avoid M1 thumb, he should just learn to load the rifle correctly so as to avoid injuring his thumb. I have to admit that I did skim over the post and didn't see that it was for someone with arthritis, so I'll have to :oops: at that one.

However, I do see a lot of people that load the M1 incorrectly. I have seen people who are just begging for M1 thumb. Most people just have no idea how to do this correctly and go about spending their hard earned cash on devices instead of just doing it right.

How does not knowing something make someone incompetent? If that is true, we all are because no one knows everything. I never said he was incompetent nor did I mean to imply it.

Maybe you thought that I was jumping to conclusions but you did the same thing. If you want to continue this, IM me as this doesn't need to go any further on this thread.

I apoligize if I offended the poster.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offense. I never get 'thumb' anyway. usually have to help the bolt with new tight clips. I just want it so I can have the option of loading a clip and having it at the ready without a round chambered. Bolt back , full clip , ready to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.