M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a M-1 Carbine from my Soninlaw to refurbish and Document. The Stock looks like it was run over by a Tank. I believe it's a Import but I can't find any Identity to verify that other than the Blue Sky/Arlington, Va. stamped on the Barrel. The barrel is stamped Inland,Div. of General Motors, Dated 8-43. The Trigger Housing is also stamped Inland, The Reciever is stamped Saginaw Steering Gear, Of GM, The Rear Sight is stamped I.R.CO.,The Slide only has the #716009, The Barrel Band is stamped J.M.O.
Can someone tell me where this Rifle has been as the Stamps on the Stock were Ground off?NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Its Blue Sky Import so more than likely was one of the Korean Import rifles from the early 1980's. Been through atleast one rebuild

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx OldSalt, I was kind of thinking that place but wasn't really sure. The Stock was really trashed but I,ve sanded all the holes and cuts and now it kinda looks good. I also restained it Dark Golden Walnut. Tomorrow when it's good and dry I'll Oil it. When I finish and put it back together I'll Photo it so everybody can see what it looks like. Thanx again.NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
My very first carbine was a Blue Sky Import that I paid $150.00 for in the early 80's.
Like yours the stock was trashed. Parkerizing was perfect, I think they were in such bad condition that they reparked them before selling .
The muzzle was so wore that it would barely hit a 12 inch circle at 50 yds.
A few years back I came across a NOS USGI barrel and had it installed. Shes a good shooter now.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Take a closer look at the barrel as Inland replacement barrels were not usually dated and just said Inland Div . So I think if you look at it closely under a magnifying glass it should say 8 - 43 rather than 48. The carbine will have been through two rebuild programs. The first will be post WWII before the Korean War when almost all were upgraded and most were converted to M2. In the upgrade, they all got bayonet bands, round bolts, flip safeties, adjustable sights, the new M2 sear, and M2 30 rd mag magazine releases (these have an arm reaching forward on the far right side which corresponds to the *** on the side of original 30 rd mags. All original carbines built during and just after WWII had push safeties originally. Only the really late winchester and Inlands were fitted with bayonet bands originally and the 30 rd mag releases. A lot of the last Inland and Winchester production was devoted to M2 which was developed in late '44 early '45 at the end of the program. Quite a few in the original build got round bolts among them later IBM's, late Inlands, late Rockolas, late Winchesters, late Underwoods and some Saginaws. Round bolts were an effort to make them more reliable and slow down the cyclic rate of fire as well as ease production with fewer machine operations. There would also be a difference in the firing pin in the rebuild program and at least three variations exist. The slide number you mention is a late pattern number and could be found on Saginaw, Inland, Winchester, and IBM that I can remember off the top of my head. Some marked the maker with letters on the outside near the number but most would mark it on the inside of the slide and you may have to remove a lot of powder residue from the piston to see it in the bottom of the flat inside of the slide i.e. PI is Inland SG is Saginaw, IBM for guess who, W for Winchester. Also since that pattern number is identical to the M2 slide except for the side cut, a lot of them were given the M2 relief on the right side by ordinance update shops.

The second rebuild would be when they came back from Korea and Blue Sky which was a Virginia or Maryland Co did reimportation and they went through them again. Also a third build could have occurred to almost any battlefield carbine whose owner was badly wounded or killed. Ordinance companies took battlefield recoverys and recycled them by changing out any damaged parts and putting them back on the line as needed. Weapons that someone bled on or were blast damaged were stripped for parts to replace parts in other damaged weapons and thus have a complete functioning carbine.

I have in my possession a compilation of the first 10 years or so of Carbine Club newsletters and I might be able to give you a more detailed description of how the parts should be marked that should be in it if I had the serial. If you send me a PM with that information, I could look up the serial block and see what the club concensus was on each serial block and you could begin looking for the properly coded parts. During the war years there was a lot of swapping of parts among the contractors to keep up with delivery dates. This also happened among the 1911A1 contractors but not usually to the extent that it did on carbines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct the date is 8-43. Guess my old eyes are going bad again. The Ser.# 826161, Round Bolt, Barrel Band with Lug. Push Safety.
Thanx.NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I finished my Son -inlaws M-1.I sprayed the stock & handguard with Oven Cleaner to get most of the old oil out,then washed the in the bath tub after 8 hrs. The water popped out all the dimpls so I had less sand out. Then I reoiled them Lightly.
Well I went and bought myself a 3-43 Underwood in better shape than my Son-inlaws so I might not mess with it.I'll take it apart for Documentation only.
Now if I can figure how to add Pic's on this site I'll show afew.NAV1USAF2
HOW DO I ADD PICTURES?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have anew question. The M-1 Carbine I just bought for myself has a Underwood Barrel Stamped 3-43 and a Saginaw Steering Gear Receiver. Is this Carbine a Underwood or a Saginaw?NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I have anew question. The M-1 Carbine I just bought for myself has a Underwood Barrel Stamped 3-43 and a Saginaw Steering Gear Receiver. Is this Carbine a Underwood or a Saginaw?NAV1USAF2
Generally the receiver determines what make it is. Or people would call it a Saginaw 'mixmaster'.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx much Oldsalt. I was thinking the Barrel did but I thought I'd ask. The people on this website are really helpfull for a dummy like me. again thanx.NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being a newbie I'm loaded with questions. What is meant when you guys say Military Ball Ammunition? And is Ammo Manufactured today safe to shoot in our old rifles? Thats it for now. I'm a 75 yr. old gun nut but I have never been into Military Rifles, but I am now.NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Any good quality commercial ammo is safe for your carbine. You dont have issues with commercial ammo as you do with the Garand

Ball means full metal jacket lead core

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M-1 30 Cal Carbine

Well I got my own personal M-1 30 Cal Carbine today. I bought it last Friday thru Cabela's. The Rifle was shipped from Pa. and when we opened the shipping box at Cabela's Lacy Wa. my eyes almost fell out. It's is not an "Import" I asked the guy in Pa. if it was and he said he didn't know, so I asked him to look at the barrel for the Blue Sky stamp and he said he didn't have time he had to box and ship it. Well I think I got a great deal by getting a "Non Import" For $699. The Stock is in fair shape, not as bad as my Son Inlaws was, The Bore looks Great, It has a Flat Bolt and mech. it works great. Can't wait to get out at the range. All for now got to take it apart for part identification.
oldtimer35NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Some import stamps are very small and hard to see. Some are on the bottom of the barrel. There were other Importers other than Blue Sky.
Not saying yours is

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
M-1 30cal Carbine

Here's my M-1 Carbine, I refinished the Stock very lightly I oiled and greased the action lightly ,ready for the range.
I changed my Icon now that I have my own.
oldtimerNAV1USAF2

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Looks good!
I dont have good pics of mine and they are buried on the safe and I'm to lazy to drag them out
Heres the pics I do have
Underwood:

Inland

Another Inland

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
M-1 30 Cal Carbine

Man I love the Grain in the first one. They both look great oldsalt thanx for showing them to me.
oldtimer35NAV1USAF2

1 - 20 of 44 Posts