M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: are lugged rcvrs always/normally mounted in composite / McMillan type stocks? Can they be bedded in wood stocks?

I am thinking of building a new match rifle, but the wood stocks look so much nicer.

TNX
Dave

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
You can put a lugged rifle in a wood stock (at least a rear lugged receiver). You will want to go with a pretty beefy piece of wood because you'll be hogging out the stock quite a bit. If you were going with a double-lugged rifle, I think you'd be negating most of the benefits of having the double lugs.

I have a rear lugged receiver in a walnut stock--works just fine. If I had to do it over again, I'd use a standard un-lugged receiver and save a heap o' cash. For the casual competitor and marksman, the lug isn't really doing anything for you. For someone that shoots a hundred rounds a day, 6 days a week, having a lug means you'll probably get through an entire season without having to repair the bedding.

the wood stocks look so much nicer.
Testify, brother!

Ty

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Dave,

There are several really nice "Match" wood stocks on the market that is already milled for a "rear" lugged receiver. I believe these stocks can be found in Birch or Walnut.

These stocks will probably suit your needs the best as they are very wide, strong but heavy stocks that accept bedding of these type of receivers very well.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Dave,

I believe the SM rifles are rear lugged, but as for the stocks, there are alternatives to a SA SM stock. The stocks I referred to have a selector cutout but also has the rear lugged area milled out... but I am not sure if this a USGI or issued stock.

This is a picture of a Match stock that I mentioned. It has a selector cutout, and the milled out area where the lug would sit. I apologize for the picture, but this is part of a bedding picture set that I was doing so disregard the "drilled" out areas where I want bedding to go in to. Do note how thick the stock is around the receiver area. This is a very thick stock.

This is a picture after it was bedded. The stock is a "Beech" or hardwood stock.

These stocks can be found fairly easily. I hope this helps some.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Here are a Couple of the Stocks that Tom is Talking about, both are Match Rifles, The one on Top is Steel Bedded and has a Rear Lug, The Bottom one is a lot Older with no Lug and is Glass Bedded It has Been Skim Bedded about four or five times! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.