M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Anyone have a new USGI M14 bolt & a micrometer? I'm looking for measurements of locking lug length (the dimension that engages the receiver recesses). Anyone who could mic both their R & L lugs, & post the dimensions, along w/the bolt manufacturer - it would help me out.

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Left Right
Winchester------ .463 .573
TRW-------------- . 461 .571
SA----------------- . 462 .572
HRT---------------- .462 .572

All new, out of the wrap, condition.

Some used ones:

Winchester------- .464 .574
TRW--------------- .462 .572
SA----------------- .463 .572
HRT------------- .461 .571
HRT----------- .460 .570
SA------------- .458 .569

As you can see, they don't wear much, and I suspect most are like muzzle wear and throat erosion measurements, they left the manufacturer that way, and others were lapped in by someone. Still, they have many years left on them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rip,

Thank you, sir! Those numbers are exactly the range I was hoping to see. I've received replies that made me think I was asking for the recipe for Bush's Baked Beans, but I don't see how a vendor can expect someone to plunk down the long green w/o knowing whether a part will fit?

You've been a big help.

Much obliged,
Matt

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Lugs

The dimensions given are fine as far as they go, but have little significance since they are the measure of the lug itself rather than the dimension of the bearing surface in relation to the bolt face which is critical.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm certain you are correct, Ted,

I was simply looking for a range of lug lengths, to help me determine whether my receiver was a good candidate for for a build. Having only the one receiver at my disposal, & one sloppy-loose bolt that came out of it, I needed info. Thus, I made my request as I did, & rip responded. I believe he helped me.

Much obliged,
Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts