M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a LRB M25 during the group buy last December. An m25 reciever, LRB bolt, and 18.5 criterion chrome barrel.
Well they called last month and while checking over the order Lou said he had some non-chrome lined standard barrels.
Well the reciever showed up and I proceeded to put it together with a minty CMP Springfiels parts kit. In my usual state of awareness I didn't realze that it had a 22" bbl until I was installing the flashhider!
I guess I didn't ask if th e barrels were 18.5"!!!
At that point I decided it was gonna be a 22" rifle and finished the build.
I put it in a really tight USGI fiberglass stock and stuck a Leupold 1.75X6 on it.
Took it out today and sighted in the irons while doing a half-assed barrel break in. (Fire one shot, 2 passes with the bore snake for about 10 shots)
Once I got the scope on it and sighted in, IT SHOOTS GREAT!FRG1
3 shot groups right at 1" at 100yds.
I'm lucky I didn't change anything!

· "Death From Above"
12,453 Posts
Nice to hear about your M25! I twisted up three and each one is a great shooter. Have yet to scope any of them yet due to finances and having to much fun shooting the other lrb's. Guess you could say I am a big fan like leadbug.
As far as I am concerned, the rail is real solid and is the cure all to any and all scope mounting issues with the M14. They even offer a 20 moa rail for those that are making long range shooters they redesigned the way the rail fastens to the receiver over the last year or so. People spoke and Lou listened. They used to use allen cap screws with straight sides. They now machine a cup in the rail and use panhead Allen screws. Make it easier to center the rail. Real nice receivers. If you plan on a dedicated scoped rifle, it's the cats meow. Figure the money your going to spend on a mount and figure the cost of the receiver compared to the M14SA. You actually come out ahead and save a few bucks. Well I guess that all depends on the scope mount you purchase.

Back to the op, did you put one of those strap on cheek risers or did you use real low rings? I'm putting a lupy on mine eventually, last time on some bad advice from the salesman I bought medium high mk4 rings to go with the mk4 scope. I mounted that on a gen III scope mount on the SAI M21 and the entire set up was way to high. Some members got a laugh and said you could drive a car under that bridge. What height scope rings did you go with on that 25?

· Registered
788 Posts
Thats a great story. I am a fanboy of LRB myself even though I have yet to even think of ordering one ( too damned expensive for me now) so Im stuck with the SAI. As a NYer ( a Long Islander to boot) I always get a kick out of great guns built in this state that seems to hate guns. The fact that LRB is over here building these sticks in this state is enough for me to want to buy one.

· Premium Member
22,380 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. 1" while breaking in is awesome. I have used the TPS medium rings that LRB sells for a couple of my M25s and mounted Leupold Mk4 LRT 3.5-10x40mm.lighted reticle scopes on them. I have one more M25 that I used the Leupold QRW rings on because I move a 8.5 - 25 Leupold between that and a Rem 700p that I use for accuracy testing.
Semper Fi
Art

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rings are medium Leupold QRW's that were already on the scope, they are to high. I had a strap on cheek pad on it and was still using a chin weld.
Probably put a Karsten type stock riser on it and mount the permanent optics on with low rings.

· Registered
887 Posts
...great guns built in this state that seems to hate guns. ...
Not to hijack the thread, but that's a great point. To which, I have to say the same about Ill-annoy.
Les Baer (until he had enough and then moved across the river)
SAI
DS Arms They are even in Chicago-land!
Rock River
Armalite
Rock River

All premium manufacturers in a state that seems to hate owners and manufacturers.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I bought a Karsten stock riser, a used Leupold Mark 4 2.5 X 8 X 36 with an illuminated TMR reticle and a set of Leupold QRW low rings.
The scope and the rings aren't here yet, but I put the Karsten on and I'll be taking it elk hunting in the morning.
My 15 year old son wanted to hunt this year with my SAI Scout. Last Sunday morn he killed a dandy 5x5 whitetail buck with it. Hopefully he'll get a chance at an elk in the morning.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the Lucky LRB out for the second time today and shot a spike bull elk with it!
I managed to intercept the elk at dawn as they were making their way back into the timber, after a long wait for the daylight to come, I made out horns on the spike.
I shot him at about 250yds from the sitting position, breaking his back and clipping both lungs. The 168 gr AMAX exited, he was dead before I got to him.
I wanted a light and accurate M14, this rifle fills the bill.

· Registered
887 Posts
Hey, uh... to clarify, this post prompted me to revisit the LRB page and I'm now a little confused. All of their pictures of whatever type of receiver you choose with prices ... those pics are just of the stripped receiver. Does that mean that I'd have to buy a bolt and resulting assemblies to complete it? Or is that the completed price but just a pic of the base receiver? If I have to buy more parts, how much more does this add to the cost of a complete receiver (single-lug M14 or M25-style?)

· Premium Member
22,380 Posts
Look further on the web page. They list everything. If you have a question, just give them a buzz. They are great folks to work with. LRB has helped me out with 6 builds in the last couple of years.
Semper Fi
Art

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.