M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of selling on GI so I was watching the Garand sales about a month ago and saw a National Match for 2500 and the ad had few and poor pictures, Then last Friday a week, I saw the price reduced to 2250. So I blew up the pictures and found something that startled me. The SN had an X prefix that you couldn't see unless you blew it up. I called the dealer immediately and said I'll take it. He took my CC no charge, and shipped it that day. It arrived yesterday and here's what I found. SN X6001268 is one of a group of NM Garands that were the last assembled. Nobody knows what the X denotes and nobody knows the exact number made, however, the general consensus is between 1600 and 2000. They were all assembled as Type I guns and many upgraded to Type II. This rifle has a SA2 63 y13 NM barrel with a ME of just under 1 and correct NM parts and stock. My hunch turned out to be my greatest find ever!

]

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Very nice, I have a friend that has one that hopefully will end up in my collection at some point, had the original sales slip from Camp Perry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice, I have a friend that has one that hopefully will end up in my collection at some point, had the original sales slip from Camp Perry.
My SN check is on Sandy Farlow's desk waiting for the CV-19 probably with many others!.:ARM40:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Great find!! I had a X pre-fix 6000XXX NM years ago and sold it for over $5k. I was able to get NM/DCM papers from CMP which verified NM and added to value.

Reactions: sakorick

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that there are lessons learned here on 2 things. First make sure you document your firearms so when you pass your family will know exactly what the piece is worth and the provenance with it. Second, When you decide to sell something take good pictures! The outfit that sold this rifle had poor pictures and it sat for a month until the price was reduced. I then used my software to blow up the pictures and find the faint X. So do your homework and ferret out the treasures because they are out there!

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
Wow, what an awesome find !!! It just goes to show that sometimes, good things happen to good people.GI1

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I think that there are lessons learned here on 2 things. First make sure you document your firearms so when you pass your family will know exactly what the piece is worth and the provenance with it.
Beautiful rifle and great advice.

I document all my firearms so the family knows what they're worth and for insurance purposes.

I go a little further and document my spare parts and what they are worth.

Can't have someone selling USGI parts at commercial prices.

Again beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Congratulations, that is an excellent find. And good detective work on your part, too. Every once in a while a hidden gem shows up out there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts