M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I picked up my new M1A I asked if they had any lubricant and was told to get pro-gold ( LINK ) - before I open it is it what I should use. I know I have asked about it and was given a list - I dont remember this being on this list.

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,408 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow

haha Wow - so grease is grease is grease. everyone uses something- from the cheap Wally World grease to the Uber high end grease that cost a left testical. So I understand - get what makes you happy and if it doesn't work try something else.

thanks - reading all the links was enjoyable - seeing and reading everyone thoughts on what to use.

Tek

Also Im thinking of loctite Moly Paste its 65% moly ( link )

·
Registered
581 Posts
haha Wow - so grease is grease is grease. everyone uses something- from the cheap Wally World grease to the Uber high end grease that cost a left testical. So I understand - get what makes you happy and if it doesn't work try something else.

thanks - reading all the links was enjoyable - seeing and reading everyone thoughts on what to use.

Tek

Also Im thinking of loctite Moly Paste its 65% moly ( link )
That Moly Paste does not look like a grease, it appears to be an assembly lube, like an anti-seize compound. I would use something that is rated as a grease. You do not need 65% moly in your lube, it is used as a high pressure resistant additive in most lubes. Like a lot of things, a little is good, too much is not good.

John

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Lubriplate is mil spec for the M14. I use it on Garands and 1911's also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use froglube on every gun i own, and other items too

Reactions: 23eagle

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I just started using high temp disc/bearing grease with moly in it. It seems to work really well, smooths the action up & really stays put. I first used white lithium grease but to me, it seems like it wipes away a little too easily and I was looking for something with a little thicker consistency.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I TRY to use only synthetic grease. But Lubriplate takes forever to use up the whole can.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Lubriplate 130A. Has the correct consistency, not being too tacky.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Lubriplate 130A .. A large can will last a Lifetime and its inexpensive!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Lubricant?

Lubricant for firearms is like bottled designer water.

Because it's high priced or has a legend attached to it, there is some
idea that it's better.

It's the same reason that a lot of shooters will use Federal GMM shooting at a 100 yard range. (total waste of money)

Bragging rights, they think.

If your planning to shoot 5000 rounds of .308 this summer and do it in really dirty conditions, then get particular.
But the average guy shoots a box or two once a month or so in a clean environment.

Any decent oil will work.

I know plenty of old timers that have shot the same Garand or 1911 for many years and rounds.

They have plain old 3 in 1 oil in their pistol boxes and the WWII Plastilube
(in the little yellow screwtop pots). Guns are still in great shape.

Go Figure !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Oil is not good for long-term preservation of metals. Light oils evaporate rapidly leaving your firearms without protection from oxidation. Also it will burn off and leave you without lubrication. Just because some old dudes used something and had little, if any, knowledge concerning basic chemistry does not justify using subpar products.

Reactions: Dredsen

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Frog lube will not work on your m1a..

Repeat frog lube is not grease.

Any grease is better than froglube.

Tetra gun grease smells best to me!

Coastal axle grease smells worst.

Seriously don't use frog lab to grease your m1a. It's great for rustproof in the metal but not on the moving parts.

Froglube turns to a very runny liquid when it heats and will not protect your parts from wear.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What it all boils down to is this simple truth,.... ANY NLGI #2 grease will work perfectly (more or less depending on how much/little the user applied) on M14/M1 type rifles.USN2

Choose for color, smell, or taste for all I care... it's all good!USNA

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I like Tetra,being white,it is easy to make sure you have it where you want it....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts