M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When My Brother was in fort Erwin Ca. they did not lube their M14's because the desert climate and the sand attracted so much grit. They ran them dry. That would be OK for a peace time rifle but when the gun needed to be "ever Ready" it would not be an option. I heard that there is now a spray teflon or somthing like it for the desert. In Iraq the guys must have somthin' other than than petro based lube or there would be functioning troubles from the git. Whats the magic lube?....Sp/4 Twiggy

·
Registered
27 Posts
light coats seem to work well, you put too much and its like sandpapaer on all the surfaces you greased/oiled.

even with light coats of oil/grease... its going to attract dirt, dust, sand etc.

the army said CLP was the culprit, so they ran thier weapons dry, and kept the dust covers closed.

the weapon will work dry..

but if it was up to me, i would always have some tetra lube in my back pocket :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a news release from the company that makes the product. I've used it in all my weapons and find it does very well. I especially like the way a treated .45 barrel has so much less copper after 50 or so rounds. I swabbed some in the barrel, heated it to about 200 deg. for an hour and that was it.

DATE: January 14, 2003
HEADLINE:
MILITEC, INC. FILLS ARMY EMERGENCY REQUISITION
BODY :
Militec, Inc. is pleased to announce that it has just filled an emergency requisition for MILITEC-1 Synthetic Metal Conditioner from the Second Brigade Team (BCT) of the Third Infantry Division, US Army.

The 2nd BCT, currently stationed in Kuwait, is part of the Allied force preparing for the potential invasion of Iraq.

This purchase follows the 2nd BCT's need for a lubricant that can withstand harsh desert conditions. In a very successful joint exercise in Kuwait this past summer involving Kuwaiti Land Forces (KLF) and the U.S. Army Tenth Mountain Division, the results of using MILITEC-1 were remarkable. Those that lubricated their firearms with MILITEC-1 experienced no jamming, double feeds, or any other malfunctions whatsoever. Those that did not use MILITEC-1 had real problems with their small arms in the blowing dust, sand and 140°F (60°C) heat. In fact, one weapon exploded during firing. Additionally, reliable information indicates the Mk-19 40mm grenade launcher would not operate properly without MILITEC-1.

Aware of other units' test results showing MILITEC-1's increased reliability, which ensures safe and effective "DRY LUBRICATED" weapon firing without the requirement of constant cleaning and disassembly of small arms, the 2nd BCT S-4 (Logistics) maxed out his Brigade credit card, ordering the maximum amount of MILITEC-1 Synthetic Metal Conditioner allowable under the Army's single-order regulations.

The 2nd BCT joins a prestigious list of continuing MILITEC-1 users. The U.S. Coast Guard, State Department worldwide, most Federal law enforcement agencies, elite military units, and intelligence activities have already approved MILITEC-1. Some of these agencies have had MILITEC-1 as their issued lubricant since 1988. Additionally, Sig Arms, Beretta, and several other U.S. firearms manufacturers issue it to attendees of their law enforcement classes nationwide, and some include a bottle of MILITEC-1 with all their new firearms. The NRA's Law Enforcement Division has been issuing MILITEC-1 exclusively to their attendees nationwide for the past five years.

Please support our forces and their families. Thank you and God Bless!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I live in So.Az and it gets very hot and dusty here in the summers with over 110* heat in the shade, almost all lubes I`ve tried will start too run even with a lite smear never mind the grit factor and a hot weapon, if you run a heavy smear you just wear it all over yourself!! Most shooters here in HELL(Tucson) use a little bit of lube and shoot and reaply when needed this seems to do the trick with little lube fling off/gritt control but is time consumming not the best in a combat area! Some shooters in my area have been using Brake clean or Rem clean and WD-40 to blast the grit out and away from the nooks and crannys then relube its like sun block for your weapon blow out/wipe down and reaply as needed.

·
Banned
611 Posts
The m-14 I carried in the navy on one of my ships where we had the call to use them a lot got literaly hosed with break free then blown off when I cleaned it. It did not feel oily and when we went ashore with them they did not attract much dirt. I live in west texas now and it is very dry, dusty, and windy here. I tried doing the break free thing but it ruined my groups. I tried totaly dry too but that was worse. Now I use engine assembly lube no105 from lubriplate. I put it on all the places one normaly would on a serious match rifle but I take the air hose to it and blow it off till nothing is left but the slightest of films. Now when I am laying in a cactus patch shooting prone at prairie dogs or whatever it shoots perfect, everything is well lubed and very little dirt is attracted to it. I have cut back to every other weekend now for pulling it from the stock and throwing it in my parts washer. I leave the handguard on since it never seemed to hurt it and I clamp the trigger group to the rifle too so every thing gets perfectly clean. After it drip drys I clean the bore and relube the rifle as normal. A lot of people say you can't remove a bedded stock this often but I do and have had no ill effects from it. It returns to zero fairly well. within an inch or so and hasn't harmed the bedding yet. I use steel bed on all of mine.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
FWIW, I use a LIGHT application of Slick 50 One Grease (TM) on my semi-automatic and select fire M1A rifles here in the Mojave Desert. I shoot mostly from the prone and kneeling positions with no ground cloth, just laying on the rocks and sand. The Slick 50 grease is teflon based and it picks up hardly any dirt or carbon residue. It is a much better grease for me IMO compared to the M1 Garand grease which is still pretty good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Desert Lube

Hello all,
I was with the 1st ID HHC 3/37 AR (M) during the Persian Gulf War we kicked off G-Day in the neutral zone (Iraq/Saudi border) and went 50-100k north and then began the hook into Kuwait ....and we are talking biblical type storms so bad in fact I would have sworn that the four horsemen of the apocalypse would have rode out straight towards me. If you are talking about those kind of conditions Twiggy....we were instructed by our Platoon Leader NOT to use any lube on our guns at all. They gave us instead a GIANT tube of powder graphite. It didn’t matter how light I put on any sort of (wet) lube sand still stuck. :? And sand in an M-16 is noooo good. You probably could get away with a little sand in an M-14 though. :wink:

DocMinster

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Re: Desert Lube

DocMinster said:
Hello all,
I was with the 1st ID HHC 3/37 AR (M) during the Persian Gulf War we kicked off G-Day in the neutral zone (Iraq/Saudi border) and went 50-100KM north and then began the hook into Kuwait ....and we are talking biblical type storms so bad in fact I would have sworn that the four horsemen of the apocalypse would have rode out straight towards me. If you are talking about those kind of conditions Twiggy....we were instructed by our Platoon Leader NOT to use any lube on our guns at all. They gave us instead a GIANT tube of powder graphite. It didn’t matter how light I put on any sort of (wet) lube sand still stuck. :? And sand in an M-16 is noooo good. You probably could get away with a little sand in an M-14 though. :wink:

DocMinster

·
Registered
846 Posts
graphite in an M16 doesn't sound too good. the army must not be concerned about galling of the aluminum receiver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.