M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to order a new LRB Arms M14SA, but now I am considering a Rock-Ola. What do people think about how these two rifles compare? What are the differences? Anyone here that owns both? What do you think of each? Thanks

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I own three Lrb Rifles,and Rock Ola #173. The LRBs might have a slight edge cosmetically, but my factory built Rock Ola has fired about 800 rounds so far with no stoppages or malfunctions. Accuracy wise I see no difference between the two. If i ever buy another 14, it would most likely be another JRA

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
I have a few of each. They are so close in comparison, that I would have to recommend the James River because of the price difference only.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have nothing against Rock-ola, but LRB has earned my business through their service and conversations with Lou.

Not that it matters because M-14 pattern rifles are all banned in the state I live in now.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have Two Rock Ola and Two LRB.....Like them both. I'll never buy another investment cast receiver. I have more confidents in Forged.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
And just to add fuel to the fire, Jon Wolfe announced he's intending on producing his own receivers too. We'll see if competition drives prices down. At least there will be three hassle-free companies to order M14 receivers from.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
You guys really seem to like the JRA receiver, its forged and priced to where folks can afford them. I guess it will be my next receiver, I do like the idea of a forged receiver.

Tony any idea when Wolf will present his new receiver? I would really like to weight my options before I spend another $800+ on a receiver. Maybe I will wait til JRA puts theirs on sale again, after all the fourth of July is just around the corner.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have a LRB and JRA. JRA, again the price alone makes it more appealing. It is very close in craftsmanship as well. I love my LRB but for the same amount of money as a LRB I can get a JRA receiver and bolt.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
I don't know when they are anticipated to be released. He sent something in a newsletter a couple of months ago announcing that they are working on producing their own receiver. I don't recall him mentioning a timeline.

Tony.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
LRB receivers are going to have a better machined finish and are going to have less fitting required.

The Rockolas are very good receivers, but will require more minor fitting.

I've built on both and I currently own two Rockolas

·
Registered
924 Posts
Can you explain minor fitting?

LRB receivers are going to have a better machined finish and are going to have less fitting required.

The Rockolas are very good receivers, but will require more minor fitting.

I've built on both and I currently own two Rockolas
Can you explain minor fitting?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am not sure if Wolfe will be doing receivers or not. I am finalizing a build with him now and he never mentioned them. We did talk a lot about the parts that they are working on now, but that will be later in the year (not specific on when yet).
I don't think that the receivers would be a good idea given the available one's on the market now. The lack of parts would be where the bottleneck seems to be now that most places seem to be out of USGI.

When I pick up my build soon I will let you know what I hear...
SMAWman

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've sort of kicked around the M1A community over the past few years. There is an infinite number of variables to consider when comparing a piece of machinery to a similar piece.

In my old age, I like to be treated in a fair and business like way. To date, LRB treats me in that manner.

I've spent a lifetime around machinery. You can take two identical boxes of "parts" and have two different mechanics / millwrights assemble them together and get two completely different operating machines. Each week NASCAR assembles a group of relatively identical cars and puts on a race. Some just run better than others. Rifles are the same way. I like the way all the parts come together at the LRB shop. They seem to run better.

I usually send enough parts to LRB to build two rifles, even though they are building only one. Since my #1 requirement is dependability, they reject many of the parts I send to them. We always have a phone conversation and at that time I am told why they prefer one part over another. It has been an education for me. We all know that a good education is never free. Kind of like college tuition.

At my age (63) and physical condition......... I don't want to waste one day of my life dealing with a "problem".... Life is too short.

Again....... Great discussion.

Hobo

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Well there are some good companies taking care of the essentials; bolts, operating rods and gas cylinders. The only thing lacking is trigger group housings. There is a void there that needs to be filled. I hope LRB, RO or Jon Wolfe can fill that void. I would like to see more US made operating rods though. Currently, only Thrustline and SEI offer them, but Thrustline has been out of stock for months. I keep visiting their page and will pick up 2 when they are available.

I talked to the owner and he said he has a few hundred forgings ready to be machined but he's too backlogged making FAL kits.

Tony.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rock-Ola vs LRB - Bolt/Receiver - June 16th, 2014

You can get a housing from 7.62MM Firearms. The problem becomes though, just like their receivers, they take forever to ship. I'm just gonna wait for JRA to produce all the parts. It currently is possible to make a 100% non-USGI rifle.

Now to get back to OP on the original question. JRA in my opinion, BASED OFF OF WHAT I HAVE SEEN as I currently am saving up for my first M14, has nearly the same quality as LRB. I would say that LRB is only slightly better because, correct me if I'm wrong, they tend to adhere or err on the side of a TRW specification whereas JRA told me and based off of observation, tends to go towards USGI/Winchester specifications. However, for the price of what one would pay for general use, I would personally rather go towards JRA especially when their new M21 DMR receiver does the same thing as an LRB M25.

The same can be said about the LRB and JRA bolts. The bolts themselves are both newly manufactured, both adhere to similar specifications, but at the end of the day, LRB has slightly better fit and finish to their bolts. Also, LRB uses 100% new manufacture parts where as JRA uses USGI parts on their bolts. JRA will soon been using newly manufactured parts as the surplus dries up.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Can't compare the two as I don't own an LRB, but you can't go wrong with JRA. I own three M14s that I built up from their early receivers. Function is reliable and they look good too.

No. 40

Consecutive 66 and 67

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
You can get a housing from 7.62MM Firearms. The problem becomes though, just like their receivers, they take forever to ship.
Yeah, that's the thing, I don't count anything from 762mm as a suitable quality replacement part which is why I never mentioned them. I have handled a 762 trigger housing and it did not work in the rifle I handled. IIRC, I had to use a GI trigger group.

Tony.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts