M14 Forum banner

LRB Temptation Need a little input.

1028 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Quagmire
Thinking of buying an LRB receiver for $599. I'm thinking of getting one. But I'd like to make an informed purchase that I won't regret later on. So I've come to the experts. Let's see I have a standard M1A and I have no problems with cast receivers on M1A's. I just think it would be cool to have something a little different. Also I think it would hold it's value better than a m1a. But how much would it cost to get built up, various price points for increased accuracy/reliability? Thoughts on total cost of building up this receiver versus spending that same amount of money on another m1a, which model would be comparable in pricel? Also no lifetime warranty on an m14 built by a smith, how much of a factor? Later on if I decide not to go ahead with the project, would I at least be able to get how much I'm paying for the receiver, back? Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks a lot guys.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,627 Posts
Same here ...

I was going to suggest contacting Stevek via PM or I am sure that he will respond here shortly.

I do believe that his receiver is currently at Smith in Arizona and they are doing a build for him ...

Six

· "Staff Alumni"
1,321 Posts
Chickenfried I bought the #1 reciever for 799.00. Ron Smith at Smith Enterprise told me that was a good price for a forged reciever. If he made forged recievers again he said he would have to charge atleast a thousand. It sounds to me people want champaigne at beer prices and at 599.OO that is going to be as close to beer prices as one can get. I was told by Fulton that my reciever was usless after they tested it and wasnt worth my time to make it into a rifle. People are putting them down but yet not many own them so where are all these experts coming from. Probably form miss information like I got. As a last ditch effort and a second opnion I sent the reciever to Smith Enterprise and this unusable reciever tested out at 53 rockwell for hardess(very good) and some simple laping( which I gather is pretty standard on most recievers)the reciever was ready to be built into a rifle. I should have it in a few weeks. I know it will be a shooter.All the other recievers have been around for years and tested and there are alot of experts out there that can answer any question you ask, through experience. Since these are new recievers when you ask about them, most are going to be hesitant about answering because they dont really know and your going to be hesitant yourself. Be bold, take a chance, because before you know it this forged reciever is going to go up in price. I can hear it now in 5 years, " why didnt I buy it when it was at such and such a price." :cry: I have the feeeling if people quit asking questions and bought the reciever there would be a lot of happy campers. I guess no one wants to be the guinea pig. I am and am very happy so far. The sale from what I have heard only last for another week and I get mine back in a few weeks so cant give a range report so like I said take a chance. :p

· Registered
432 Posts
That's It! I can't take this anymore :( . I talked with Bill at Smith Enterprise this morning and he thinks they have worked out what problems they first had at LRB. I have to have one :eek: . It will be built with TRW parts into a Bush rifle by Smith Enterprise Inc 8) . I've got to stay away form these forums :lol: .

Greg

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input steve. Lots of help. Congratulations on the purchase Maze! Hmmmm so tempting....brain hurting. seven more days and I won't have to think about it no more. Cause no way am I paying $899 for one.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
MsgtMaze: I'm with you buddy. I cracked & ordered one last week. Mine will be all-TRW also, dunno who I'm going to have build it yet though.

Yeah, I am weak & these forums are leading me right down the path... :lol:

· Registered
1,084 Posts
I for one will have Smith Enterprise build one when I get one. Looks like Ron Smith is going to get lots of experience with LRB receivers. I'm glad that LRB has made corrections to their receiver. What kind of problems were they having with the receivers and what did they correct?

Regards

Ox

· "Staff Alumni"
1,321 Posts
Bill at Smith stated they had one LRB that went 34 rockwell for hardness other than that no Problems. MsgtMaze, Guag and Oxmix more children 8O OUT STANDING!!! :D I was beggining to think I was the only one :cry: Just might have to get me another one at the low price :p

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Well, I've got the receiver on order & Lou has my dealer's FFL. I'm hoping that the receiver will ship sometime this coming week.

E-Mailed Clayton about barreling & headspacing the receiver for me (I supply the TRW barrel & bolt). He said he could do the work (for a very reasonable fee, I might add) & was eager to see one of the LRB receivers up-close. After seeing the quality work he did on the Poly I have no probs letting him do the LRB job. 8)

I'm going to complete the build after Clayton gets the hard part done for me... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.