M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one each LRB ar15 and M14 recievers. The ar15 is excelent, no tool marks smooth finish very nice. The M14 is another story, the left side below the rear sight has a step the length of the reciever where the end mill cut too deep, this is just cosmetic. There is a simlar step on the scope mount pad that I think would let the scope wobble. The bolt runway on the bottom side (under the serial number) has 2 steps in it about .012 each that the bolt would have to bump over. The reciever rear corner has a gouge where the rear finish cut didn't match the side cut (cosmetic). The windage notches aren't beveled like real M14's are but are just end mill cuts. And the serial number is stamped crooked (this realy bugs me). Most of the rest of the reciever is very nice. What I want to know is, does yours look like this or did I just get a bad one? Or maybe I'm being too pickey. What do you think?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have you called Lou before you posted here to dicuss this situation???? From the dealings I have had with Lou - try him first - From what you have said, I would send it back... But first Call him... give him a chance to make it right...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have 2 in the low 1300 range,they are perfect, haven't found any flaws at all.....I agree call Lou

RED DOT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I didn"t want to bother LRB untill I found out if my reciever looked like yours. Please don't take my posting as being negative toward LRB, it's not at all, I just needed more information to make a decision to use it or exchange it.
Thanks Torque

·
Banned
517 Posts
My co-worker just had to send his LRB receiver back because a barrel would not screw into it.

Something wrong with the threads. The good news is that Lou is going to barrel/headspace his receiver for free.

But, I swear, I just don't get how ALL of these receiver makers can let a product be shipped out to a customer without better QC.

If I were doing it, every receiver that left my shop would be personally inspected by me or, a trusted partner.

A receiver with all of the cosmetic flaws in it such as the one that Torque got should be offered at a reduced price. Is someone going to say that all those flaws were innocently missed? Even a cursory examination would reveal those flaws. I think they just do not want to eat the cost of a receiver. But that's too bad. Someone has to.

"Making it right" IMO, does not negate the time lost, or paying for shipping, or the chance of it going "missing" during transit. I'd rather have it done right in the first place.

Sorry people, but I won't accept excuses for flawed product going out to customers. Especially with small operations such as the ones that manufacture M14 receivers.

So, go ahead and flame me....I've got on my fire retardent clothes. ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
M14 LOVER,

No flame here. I can't stand it when ordering a part becomes a crapshoot. I don't buy from discount dumps like Sarco and Dealer Warehouse for that very reason. Vendors take note - if something bears your name you're tainted with it forever! Armscorp and Fulton - are you listening?

I do not mind paying the going price if I can reasonably expect that the item is going to arrive as expected. Calling the mfg. and shipping a piece back to him is something that I just don't have the time for in my life let alone the aggravation, even if Lou at LRB is a great guy!

That said, I fully realize that nobody's perfect - not in the least yours truly. It's a relief when a vendor or mfg. goes beyond the norm to make things right when he does screw up. We can only hope that it's a very rare and isolated incident and that he will learn and benefit by his mistake and take all possible steps to see that it never happens again.

Al

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just got off the phone with Lou - Noon time in NY... He has not heard from "Torque" as yet. We talked about when has been written and Lou is at a Loss to what the problems might be - he is hoping Torque does call if there is a problem. I ask about the guy with the receiver and the thread problem. I learned a lot about New Receivers and Used GI barrels. This is an easy fix and is very understanding - interesting what takes place to threads when a barrel is "index", for a complete understanding, ask your builder or call Lou - I am a good firefighter but a "Smith" I am Not. I have a LRB reciever and have met him at the Shot Show - I have spent Time with Ted Brown who has built Many Weapons on LRB Receivers - what ever issue Torque has will be taken care of. All he has to do is Call = the Question was ask about "Quality Control" Lou told me He checks all receivers that go out and he also reminded me that he is Human - I still trust his product. Call Him......

·
Banned
517 Posts
harley rider said:
Just got off the phone with Lou - Noon time in NY... He has not heard from "Torque" as yet. We talked about when has been written and Lou is at a Loss to what the problems might be - he is hoping Torque does call if there is a problem. I ask about the guy with the receiver and the thread problem. I learned a lot about New Receivers and Used GI barrels. This is an easy fix and is very understanding - interesting what takes place to threads when a barrel is "index", for a complete understanding, ask your builder or call Lou - I am a good firefighter but a "Smith" I am Not. I have a LRB reciever and have met him at the Shot Show - I have spent Time with Ted Brown who has built Many Weapons on LRB Receivers - what ever issue Torque has will be taken care of. All he has to do is Call = the Question was ask about "Quality Control" Lou told me He checks all receivers that go out and he also reminded me that he is Human - I still trust his product. Call Him......
harley,

Not to beat a dead horse.....my friends barrel is a new USGI NM SAK bought still in a tube so it's short chambered and needs to be cut. Also, the smith he took his kit to, tried several other barrels that HE had, and none of them would screw into the receiver. There is something wrong with it. Period. He has been in contact with Lou and, in fact his kit is there now. So it is to Lou's credit that he is taking care of it. To me still, and this is my point- it's a bunch of unneccessary hassel, as I agree 100% with Sherlock308.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let's give LRB a chance to get up to speed on all issues, when a company goes from mom & pop style to full scale mass production in the same shop there will be some bumps on the way, everything I have heard about LRB is excellent as far as "taking care of problems" and in the end this is what really counts.

I am gonna guess that even the USGI makers of receivers let a few slip by that shouldn't have 8O

If you want someone to make op-rods and other things to the USGI standards let's not blast him just yet.

JMHO

·
Banned
517 Posts
American,

No one has "blasted" anybody here. Just explaining what we do not like about the current industry as a whole. As I stated earlier "all". In which case it's like a roll of the dice anyway you go. IMO, that's not acceptable.

As for my friends receiver, Lou has fixed it. It turns out that the threads needed to be chased or something. The problem lies in the fact that my friend's smith prudently, would not touch the receiver with it as it was. So he had to pay for it to be shipped back east.

You can't blame the smith. If he messed with it and it was a more serious problem, well, maybe LRB would not take it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reason I asked Torque for pictures was because my dealer called yesterday to tell me that my LRB receiver had come in. Well, I picked it up today and mine has the gouge on the right corner of the heel as Torque described. And the last digit of the serial number is not inline with the others. I'll call Lou tomorrow. Fact of the matter is, for the better part of a grand just for a receiver, most would expect the thing to be perfect. USGI M14s would not have been accepted by inspectors with defects such as these.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is perfect-Lou is a GOOD GUY. He works out of a very small shop and is a detail perfectionist. We need more guys like him in the business- sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Everyone has a right to blast off and get pissed. Lou doesn't deserve it. :evil:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Lt. Arclight said:
Mine is perfect-Lou is a GOOD GUY. He works out of a very small shop and is a detail perfectionist. We need more guys like him in the business- sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Everyone has a right to blast off and get peoed. Lou doesn't deserve it. :evil:
I'm glad that yours is perfect. Obviously, there are at least three receivers belonging to others who frequent this site that aren't so great!

I truly believe that Lou is a "GOOD GUY". But that doesn't mitigate the fact that some less-than-perfect receivers are getting out of his shop and into the hands of his customers. :roll:

Yes, everyone has a right to report unsatisfactory goods or services on this forum. Other members deserve to be made aware of the pitfalls involved when they contemplate the purchase of high priced gear from some sources. I applaud those with the balls to bring it out into the open.

I'm not posting my thoughts on this matter with an eye towards offending anyone, but only wish to make mfg's. and vendors aware that some of us do not appreciate sloppy QC and are upset when we are forced to put up with it.

Or should we just hush it up and pretend that this problem doesn't exist :?:

Al

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,725 Posts
Quality Control

:oops: Poor quality control is common among almost all manufactures of commercial M14 receivers. Probably the best were Smith Enterprise when they were selling as Western Ordnance in the late 80's and early 90's. Even those had some unique defects, but none that effected functioning. I understand that SE hand fitted GI parts to all the receivers they sent out to insure there would be no fitting problems. The other end of the spectrum is Enterprise and many Armscorp receivers. Tolerance and mismachining problems are common with them. Springfield receivers are very off and on. At least SA has cured the early heat treating errors that resulted in soft surfaces and premature wear. LRB is doing very well for a company who has produced fewer than 3500 receivers in two years. There have been some problems, but few that would prevent assembly into a fine rifle. I have sent a couple back that "fell through the cracks" during inspection. I attribute it to growing pains. I've worked with enough LRB receivers to know what the problem areas are and I stay in touch with Lou on a regular basis to make sure he knows what turns up in the field. I was one of only a couple of smiths that performed evaluations for LRB early on. I have discussed areas that need improvement with the machinist who actually makes LRB receivers and I have much respect for his ability and attitude. He is determined to make the best possible product for LRB. One must understand that JVC Machine, who he works for, manufactures a wide variety of products, many for the firearms industry and government, and LRB receivers are only a small part of their business. That said, the squeeky wheel always gets the grease and LOU squeeks a lot! :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talked to Lou

I spent about 35 minutes on the phone with Lou this morning. As most have stated, he is a great guy with customer satisfaction at the top of his list. He was looking at about 40 receivers and saw 4 or 5 with the crease on the right rear where the heel cut meets the side. He suspects something must have shifted during setup, as these are worked on 3 separate CNC machines and a couple of milling machines. Without hesitation, he offered a refund or exchange. I told him that I absolutely did not want a refund, as these are widely regarded as the best out there. He was going to check the drawings to see if the windage knob cuts were supposed to be beveled. He also offered to cover return shipping and FFL transfer fee. Lou inspects these while they are in the white, which may explain why some of the cosmetic issues could be missed. Although it is a bit of a hassle shipping it back, I would not hesitate to order one of these if I had to do it over again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sherlock308 said:
Lt. Arclight said:
Mine is perfect-Lou is a GOOD GUY. He works out of a very small shop and is a detail perfectionist. We need more guys like him in the business- sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Everyone has a right to blast off and get peoed. Lou doesn't deserve it. :evil:
I'm glad that yours is perfect. Obviously, there are at least three receivers belonging to others who frequent this site that aren't so great!

I truly believe that Lou is a "GOOD GUY". But that doesn't mitigate the fact that some less-than-perfect receivers are getting out of his shop and into the hands of his customers. :roll:

Yes, everyone has a right to report unsatisfactory goods or services on this forum. Other members deserve to be made aware of the pitfalls involved when they contemplate the purchase of high priced gear from some sources. I applaud those with the balls to bring it out into the open.

I'm not posting my thoughts on this matter with an eye towards offending anyone, but only wish to make mfg's. and vendors aware that some of us do not appreciate sloppy QC and are upset when we are forced to put up with it.

Or should we just hush it up and pretend that this problem doesn't exist :?:

Al
This has nothing to do with balls to mention shortfalls and QC problems-no matter what is manufactured there are occasions when things drop through the cracks. The company that does the work,generally works for Sikorsky Aerospace and I'm sure they get a few bad parts. My point is, he is dedicated to the project and will make good. Believe me, I actually went to his shop and personally checked every detail in my build and I am in fact glad that it is perfect in everyway. I'm glad to see Ted Brown chime in-he builds IMO some of the best match quality M14's in the market today. Feedback makes the product better. This guy is the real deal,my point was give him a chance to make it right. Fact is LRB is the only hammerforged receiver out there and if you get a chance to get one in your hands-get a copy of the original drawings then take your micrometers,dial indicator's, and machinist's squares and compare it to a Springfield or a Fulton Armory and then tell me who is closer to spec.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.