M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...has arrived!! :D :D :D

It 1st inspection it looks really nice. Very nicely machined, no scratches and a nice dark park finish.

Here's a pic of the box it came in while I get it cleaned up and take a few pics (it comes covered in oil, which is fine by me):

Ya just gotta love it, don't ya? ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, everything is upped. Here you go!

(click the pic for more pictures)

It looks very nice, but I've noticed two problems:

1. There are 4 small punch marks on the fwd/upper right side of the receiver heel. They look exactly like the punch marks comprising the S/N marking.
2. There is a very small rough area on the underside of the op rod track up front by the barrel ring where the park did not stick.

The stamping is very good. The S/N is indeed the only "dot matrix" printing on the receiver & it doesn't look bad.

The machining is excellent. Really nicely done.

All in all I'm fairly happy, although the two problems I mentioned do bother me a bit - esp. considering the price of the receiver. I guess they can both be stoned away though (not by me 8O ).

Take a look, post your thoughts.

OK, Phil across the street thinks the 4 small punch marks may be hardness test marks. Makes sense, but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never having handled a stripped cast receiver I have no idea if it would be the same, but this one rings like a bell. 8)

·
Registered
209 Posts
WOW Quag, Very nice. I saw those punch pricks and I don't know why they would test for hardness there? Does anybody else on the board have one, maybe you can check with them and see if theirs is similar. What about Steve K.? Either way, that looks like a very nice receiver. Does a GI bolt close without any problems in it? Congrats :D

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I answered over there, but I'll answer here too. Yes, both the windage and elevation index marks are all present & accounted for.

Why would you think otherwise?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Redbone: You can definately see a hardness test punch on the rear sight table. I don't think the marks on the side are hardness test marks.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NP bud. After the Entreprise incident I guess I don't blame you. ;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had a look at my receiver today (Kalistan and their 10 day wait) and it also has a couple pin pricks on the right side of the receiver heel. It may be hardness testing. I took photo's, but my Yahoo Site Builder will not work :? . Any way it looks exactly like Quagmire's..... Great! The lettering and S/N look much better than I thought they would. Glad I took the plung now, it'll make a fine Bush Rifle.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
warbird said:
Looks real nice. 8)
Now,can we get a look at it from the side.
Just wondering if it has the step on the rear as they should. :roll:

warbird out
Tell me exactly what area you want to see & I'll take a pic. I took some closeups of both sides though. It didn't cover what you wanted to see?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha, agreed. All hail Steve, the Pied Piper of the LRB!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.