M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of having a forged LRB receiver and GI HRA barrel lying about, I tried to assemble a rifle using a GI stock and GI HRA trigger group.
the receiver/barrel sit fine in the wood, but I can’t get the trigger group to seat and the trigger guard to lock in place.
Has anyone heard of this before? I initially suspected the trigger group, but then started thinking it may be the receiver?

·
Premium Member
16,933 Posts
Happens all the time. Try taking the stock liner out and see if the receiver legs will sit all the way down. Many times the liner needs to be fitted to the receiver legs.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Normal. Fitting a stock to an M14 required a trained armorer. They were not intended to be drop in. Too many variables that can affect both fit and function.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Sir, during heat treatment the receiver legs often shift or change dimensions very slightly, but enough to affect fitting into the stock liner. It is far easier to mill the liner to fit rather than the receiver.

This shifting of the receiver legs was found on all types of receivers to include original USGI M14 receivers. So, naturally it has been found on commercial receivers, LRB not being the exception.

REN

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, all.
Probably need to get it to a qualified armored...I can do the field stripping and such as the Army taught me back in the Dark Ages when rifles were wood and iron, instead of plastic and aluminum...but, anything that requires more than a few strikes of a rat tail file is best left out of my hands and placed and into those of qualified individuals...as Clint Eastwood used to intone, a man has to know him limitations!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Since the receiver sits in the stock correctly, and you can't get the trigger group to set properly, check to see if the trigger is contacting the receiver. This would be the lug for the full auto that can be ground down a bit for clearance.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Does the trigger group lockup with the action out of the stock?

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Does the trigger group lockup when the action out of the stock?
Yea, definitely try that. My money is on the legs not fitting into the stock liner.

Remove the stock liner from the stock, and you will be able to see if it seats properly.

REN

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
If the receiver heel is flush in the rear, the liner is probably fine.

If the the trigger guard makes it to the tip of the trigger, it will close if you put a dab of grease on the camming lugs.

Once you get the guard closed, you need to perform a function check to see if you have hammer follow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After many years of having a forged LRB receiver and GI HRA barrel lying about, I tried to assemble a rifle using a GI stock and GI HRA trigger group.
the receiver/barrel sit fine in the wood, but I can’t get the trigger group to seat and the trigger guard to lock in place.
Has anyone heard of this before? I initially suspected the trigger group, but then started thinking it may be the receiver?
Not sure I understand "I can't get the trigger group to seat". Is trigger assembly not bottoming out (hitting safety bridge)?

Remove action from stock and install trigger assembly to confirm this. Trigger guard should swing and lock without any resistance. Trigger assembly will probably be loose fitting.

If trigger assembly is tight fitting and will not bottom out...hate to say it...sounds like receiver legs may have been squeezed together via vise.

If trigger assembly DOES fit and lock up (action out of stock) I would look at the stock. LOU

·
Premium Member
16,933 Posts
Took a couple of photos this morning for reference.

Number 1 shows overly tight fit of action to stock liner not allowing it to seat completely.

Stock liner 1.jpg

Number 2 shows the stock liner fitted and properly seated on action. 2 minute fix.

Stock liner 2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
With the action fully seated is the trigger group fully seated in the stock? Is there a gap between the wood and the trigger group wings? If I get one that won't fully seat, a quick tap with the plastic part of a gunsmith's hammer does the trick.

If the trigger group is fully seated and so is the receiver, then I have to remove a little wood or fiberglass from the stock where it meets the trigger group wings so that it will sit farther into the stock. That usually allows the trigger guard to be snapped closed.

Tony.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts