M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LRB has this medium weight barrel on their website:

BARREL-MEDIUM WEIGHT: Reproduction of the classic Saco-Lowel medium weight national match barrel used by the US Military on XM-21 and M14-NM rifles. New manufacture by Criterion Barrels for LRB using the original Saco blueprint #9345206 dated 81-06-20. Barrel features: chrome moly 1:12 twist, 4 groove, short chamber, unchrome, parkerized finish. Our barrel is not knurled at the op rod guide................$279.95

Anybody have any experience, or opinions? How would this stack up against a medium weight Kreiger? Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,110 Posts
I have 3 Criterion medium weights on builds from the last year. They are a very good barrel. Rifles all shoot better than I can. Sub min off the bench. Couldn't tell you about the Kreiger meds. I have only used their Heavy ss 1 in 11 . That is deffinately my barrel of choice. Just need an electric golf cart to tote the thing arround.

Semper Fi
USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
313 Posts
Kreiger and Criterion Barrels.

I have the criterion medium weight on my LRB M25 and it's great, be aware though that it is heavier than a standard barrel, so keep that in mind if your a weight-weenie. My rifle is noticeably heavier than a standard M1A.

Both Kreiger and Criterion barrels are made at the same location. The only difference seems to be in the heat/cryo treatment. Check out this article, this guy couldn't get too specific, because there's a lot of proprietary secrets involved in the barrel-making process... but he seems to get the main points across.

Cheers.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/krieger_criterion_tour.htm

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Anybody have any experience, or opinions? How would this stack up against a medium weight Kreiger? Thanks
You might want to contact Jon Wolfe on his medium weight (modified) barrel. It is made by Krieger, has a chrome lining, and accurate! I saw Forum member Geeck's new build with this barrel and it was impressive at the 300 yd. distance. That's where we shot to that day, but we'll go to ~600 yds. soon (maybe this weekend).

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,820 Posts
Criterion makes three differnt medium weight match grade barrels. One is made to mil spec as noted. That includesthe military specified barrel wrench knotches, NM markings, and a 1:12 twist.

The other barrels are medium conture without the military requirements. These have been made in 1:12 and 1:10 twist with chrome lining optional.

All of these barrels shoot exceptionally well and often shoot as good or better than Krieger barrels. The difference between Krieger and Criterion is the method of rifling. Criterion is button rifles while Krieger is cut rifled. Good barrels can be made either way.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Criterion makes three differnt medium weight match grade barrels. One is made to mil spec as noted. That includesthe military specified barrel wrench knotches, NM markings, and a 1:12 twist.

The other barrels are medium conture without the military requirements. These have been made in 1:12 and 1:10 twist with chrome lining optional.

All of these barrels shoot exceptionally well and often shoot as good or better than Krieger barrels. The difference between Krieger and Criterion is the method of rifling. Criterion is button rifles while Krieger is cut rifled. Good barrels can be made either way.

So the one above that LRB lists as "Reproduction of the classic Saco-Lowel medium weight national match barrel used by the US Military on XM-21 and M14-NM rifles." - is the true mil spec barrel, right?

I'm seriously thinking of getting this instead of the Kreiger for my upcoming M25 build. Not only is it a little cheaper but I won't have to blacken it like the SS Kreiger.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
21,110 Posts
You are on the right track my friend. The SAKO repro that LRB markets are fine barrels.
1 of mine is on an LRB M14s and 2 are on Federal Ord. receivers. All have been built to match specs. and perform as expected. The Kreiger SS that I used was bead blasted and sits in a JAE Gen II stock screwed into an LRB M-25. The enjoyment from these toys never ends. Have fun.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I have that exact barrel, purchased from LRB with my M25 receiver. Accuracy is VERY good, but only with GOOD ammo........1-2 MOA (usually closer to 1.5) using Federal GMM 168g. None of the mil surplus shot any better than 4" and some much worse. This is about the only ammo it seems to like so far; Lake City was about between the Federal and surplus. I have a few other types to try yet, but it may be an "ammo snob" barrel.

The only minor issue I had with installation was the area for the op rod guide is larger than typical. I was expecting to have to knurl the barrel to get the guide in tight; what I ended up having to do was slightly open up the guide. I may have the measurements, but probably won't be able to locate them in any reasonable time frame. It took an hour or two working very slowly and measuring frequently. I tapped it on with a Delrin block when it seemed close enough and scribed a witness mark to check for any movement. So far, none at all after about 1K rounds.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You might want to contact Jon Wolfe on his medium weight (modified) barrel. It is made by Krieger, has a chrome lining, and accurate! I saw Forum member Geeck's new build with this barrel and it was impressive at the 300 yd. distance. That's where we shot to that day, but we'll go to ~600 yds. soon (maybe this weekend).
+1 - I have one & it shoots under 1in with good ammo

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
So the one above that LRB lists as "Reproduction of the classic Saco-Lowel medium weight national match barrel used by the US Military on XM-21 and M14-NM rifles." - is the true mil spec barrel, right?

What do you think?
It's built to the same high standards that all Criterion barrels are - I've had NOS NM SAK barrel & was unimpressed, IMO a new Criterion is a MUCH better barrel

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have both barrels. Of course on different rifles. IMHO Kreiger barrels are better barrels. I am not disappointed at all with medium weight Criterion. They are both shooting well. But my best shooters are all using Kriegers. We are talking 1/2 an moa at 100yds. But where it really shows is at the 1000yd. At the distance I can;t shoot better than 19"s. But I pulled two groups with Krieger barrels under 11"s. Made for a happy day. The criterions wher the 19 inchers

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have both barrels. Of course on different rifles. IMHO Kreiger barrels are better barrels. I am not disappointed at all with medium weight Criterion. They are both shooting well. But my best shooters are all using Kriegers. We are talking 1/2 an moa at 100yds. But where it really shows is at the 1000yd. At the distance I can;t shoot better than 19"s. But I pulled two groups with Krieger barrels under 11"s. Made for a happy day. The criterions wher the 19 inchers
Are the rifles exactly the same except for the barrels?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Krieger

Are the rifles exactly the same except for the barrels?
Good question and something to think about. The answer is no. They sit in different types of stocks for one. most are bedded. All gas cylinders and front bands are joined together so screwed ad glued some welded. All have trigger jobs. Some trigger pulls fell better than others but all are well done. Different types of glass (optics). But again the criterion barrels are nice barrels and well made good shooting. I have one sitting in a McMillan stock and have not had a chance to take that of to a 1000 yds yet. But from 100 yds to 600 yds. it has been impreessive. Shooting 1moa at 100 yds to a little over 1.25 moa at 600. So inmy experince with this type of shooting platform. I would say the set up I described is capable of shooting a min or better. That's just the best I can do with it out to 600

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.