M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Um... one that works for your setup? GI6

I haven't found any QR rings that I just gotta have. Of course that can always change but it hasn't yet. What do you intend to do with the rifle? Some QR ring manufacturers are ARMS and LaRue... Of course they're going to depend on your scope choice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm thinking about putting Larue rings on mine when it's done.

One concern I have is that the trough down the middle of the rail will greatly reduce the contact of the recoil lugs on the ring or mount with the mounting rail itself, but I'm probably overthinking things again.

IMO, ya gotta have QD rings on an M25.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I haven't heard of that being an issue with the M25 mount.

QR rings are nice but there aren't any that I am heads over heels for. LaRue's are great quality but the rail height and ring height may be a problem for some scopes. I'm looking at a 34mm tube and the only QR rings I've seen in 34mm are ARMS which are insanely high.

You may be able to use a riser rail and some LaRue rings.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like I said, I'm probably overthinking it.

I want to get my a 1-4x24 (or maybe 1-6x24) as close to the iron sight line as I can. I haven't decided which scope to go with yet, so I can't figure out which rings to use yet.

I have some QD Warne rings from Brownells that I used with a scout scope on a Garand for a while. They worked fine, but I never used the QD feature so I don't know how well they hold their zero after dismounting and remounting.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Are those the screw/lever type? My issue with those is reaching the same torque value each time (only way to get them to zero pretty much). I can witness mark the nuts on my rings and get pretty consistent torque taking the scope on and off with minimal effect on my zero.

I'm eying some Spuhr rings but need to find out cost and such.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I actually was talking with a tech at Leupold yesterday regarding their QRW rings and a true Picatinny rail. They worked fine with Springfield's forward Scout mount, but don't look like the best possible contact with a real Picatinny rail (Ultimak). The Leupold tech suggested that I look at Warne rings if the QRWs won't hold zero.

I also noticed that Millet has some "grabber rings" that show up on Optics Planet and SWFA. Don't know anything about those however, and they only come in one height.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Not sure about your ring budget and such but another brand is IOR/Valdada. Their rings are Picatinny spec and have a nice long QR lever to get more torque with. Not many heights to choose from though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rings??????

Thanks for all the info guys, obviously more to think about and research, but this is definitely a good start.

Thanks again

Redraider

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am seriously thinking of getting a Larue QT-123 with Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm, but not sure if this would work with M25. If any one can confirm, I greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
18,148 Posts
Howdy Kyle,
I have been using the same scope on an M25 with the Leopold QRW rings. No trouble losing zero at all. The wings on the QRW are very easy to estimate torque once you have used them.
Art
Sgt. USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I use TPS medium rings steel. Different people say different things, but unless it's just junk machined by monkeys, which you would pretty much have to go out of your way to do with current shop set-ups, if it's steel rings on a real picatinny rail, it's going to be fine. I have an LRB M25 and I think if I kicked my scope it would probably retain zero...

You can save weight using aluminum rings, but I don't trust myself and you should get a torque wrench to make sure you don't put too much pressure and bend or snap them. It's just one more thing to worry about. If you're going hunting with it, however, this might be more of an issue, as steel rings can weight literally >1 pound.

I went medium height because it allows for a larger scope, though at extreme range differences, there's going to be a moving zero of course. Also, some rings are so low and the scopes such that you have to remove the rear iron sight, which I also didn't want to do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Leupold Quick Release Weaver Style QRW

Thanks for your suggestion.

What size of rings did you get for your scope? Do you recomend low, high or medium?

Howdy Kyle,
I have been using the same scope on an M25 with the Leopold QRW rings. No trouble losing zero at all. The wings on the QRW are very easy to estimate torque once you have used them.
Art
Sgt. USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This is the set to get if you want your scope as low as possible with your M25 .

LaRue Tactical Ultra-Low Mount Rings QD LT719
Get your riflescope as low as possible. PRICE: $195.00

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I've heard the LaRue rings don't play well with rails that have a center channel in them. The recoil lugs on the rings are small and centered and don't have much contact with the rail lugs.

This has been a consideration in my search for new rings. Since none of the QR rings will work for me I'll be running Ken Farrell rings and keeping a Torx wrench on the rifle to remove the scope with. These have a solid recoil lug running from side to side so it gets as much contact with the rail lugs as it can.

Sure, it may take me an extra minute to get my scope off, but if my scope is damaged it's probably going to take me more than a minute to recover from whatever just kicked my butt.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I was pointing out the correct height rings in the Larue style.

On a side note, member 4track has had very good success with a Sadlak and larue combo.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Burris Extreme Tactical work great. Tighten with a 1/2 inch wrench. Return to zero and 6 screws.

I have them on several rifles including M25's.

The low rings clear a 40mm objective lens in the M25.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
very nice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts