M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED with new range report from Jan 29th in post #7

I got out to the range this afternoon. First time with my scope. I hadn't done too badly with iron sights, but it's good to know that there is NOTHING wrong with the rifle from an accuracy point of view.

The first shot with the scope was about 6" low and 4" left. How's that for dumb luck?

After getting it close to dialed in, I got these two 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The one on the left measures 1-3/32". The one on the right is only 7/8". I KNOW this rifle can do better than this - I didn't feel like I was shooting my best today.

General specs are:
LRB M-25 receiver
Krieger 18-1/2" barrel, medium contour, 1/11 twist
TWR bolt & trigger group
Unitized gas cylinder
Springfield synthetic stock (weak point of the system!)

Scope is a Leupold VX-3 3.5-14x40mm Long Range. Leupold's Custom Shop added "M1" turrets and a TMR reticle to the scope for me. Main tube is 30mm and it has side parallax adjustment. TPS steel rings.

I've been experimenting with VV N-135 under 168 grain Sierra Match Kings and think I've got a pretty good load worked out.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Very nice!! Was that at 100 Yds? As you tweek your loads and get used to the rifle I'm sure you'll slowly close up those groups even more! Ready for that 400 yd shot? How about 600 yds? Fun, fun, fun!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did LRB do the build? And was it a USGI fiberglass stock? What's happening with that? I'm trying to decide what to do with the M25 I just got.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did LRB do the build? And was it a USGI fiberglass stock? What's happening with that? I'm trying to decide what to do with the M25 I just got.
Yes, LRB built the rifle. I can't say enough good things about how great they were to work with... other than the wait!

I sent LRB a stock to use for the build which turned out to be defective. I ended up returning that stock to the manufacturer, and the only functional stock I have is the one my Springfield Scout came in. It's SAI's new "polymer" (IOW plastic) stock. Not very stiff and the lockup isn't tight with either the LRB or my SAI action.

There's another match-style walnut stock in my workshop, but I have to learn how to do glass bedding first. I'm going to use a Mauser bolt-action for glass bedding 101 and then (hopefully) not repeat any mistakes for the M25.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's interesting about the polymer stock characteristics. Thanks for the info and good luck with the project. Post a picture if you can.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
That's interesting about the polymer stock characteristics. Thanks for the info and good luck with the project. Post a picture if you can.
The plastic stocks that SA Inc. is using now are very flimsy. I've handled a couple now and fit and strength wasn't so good when compared to USGI wood or fiberglass. Of course not all USGI stocks have great fits either but I've seen more well fitting USGI stocks than I've seen SA Inc. plastic stocks.

We'll miss those crappy looking black crinkle stocks soon since they were USGI fiberglass stocks coated in that black crinkle finish and the selector filled...

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Range Report January 29, 2011

NEW RANGE REPORT: mounted the LRB action in a heavy match-style walnut stock. Side-to-side fit in this stock is very tight. No stock liner.

This photo shows how yesterday's range trip went:

The top group was pretty exciting for me - 11/16 of an inch.

The bottom group is typical of what I got though shooting 45 rounds. Another guy at the range who is a very good shot asked if he could try the rifle when I was pretty frustrated (before small group). He had a couple of outliers too.

I don't know whether the action just needs to settle into the stock, the scope mount is problematic, or what, but this is really frustrating. My groups were actually more consistent on average in the wet-noodle Springfield plastic stock than they were in this heavy wood stock.

BTW these were handloads - 40.4 grains of VV N-135 in Winchester .308 brass (2nd reload), 168 gr SMK, CCI #34 primers. Was a very consistent load in my SAI Scout as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What scope mount are you using? Looks like groups I used to get with a Springfield Gen.3. I switched to a Bassett and problem solved. Like you said, a good bedding job would probably fix you right up, especially from the discription of the stocks you've been using. You do have some real good groups though. I know it gets frustrating when you get about three in a nice group and then BAM-one hits about 2" out.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I keep hearing how flimsy the new stocks are. Has anyone done a comparison test on how bad the flex is compared to the wood and GI synthetics?
Thanks for the updated range report. Looking good.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black Arrow - will check gas plug & report back.

RET DEP - with the SAI plastic noodle, you can hold onto the gas cylinder forward of the front band, push against the stock sideways with your thumb and SEE it move... easily.

OTOH this is the forend of my wooden stock. I don't think anyone can make it flex.

What scope mount are you using? Looks like groups I used to get with a Springfield Gen.3. I switched to a Bassett and problem solved. Like you said, a good bedding job would probably fix you right up, especially from the discription of the stocks you've been using. You do have some real good groups though. I know it gets frustrating when you get about three in a nice group and then BAM-one hits about 2" out.
Arkie - it's an LRB M-25 receiver. The scope rail is dovetailed directly into the receiver.

Something is moving and not returning to the same point. It seems more likely to be related to the receiver//stock fit. I know how important the tension and location of the front band is. However, it could be related to the scope//ring fit or ring//rail fit. I don't see how it could be the mounting rail itself.

For the record, that second group was the two "flyers" first, then the three tight shots IIRC.

A Kokopeli ring lapping kit may be in my future, but I'm definitely going to try glass bedding. Just don't want to mess up this stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts