M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying an M25 a year or so ago I am finally getting around to thinking about a scope. Unfortunately, and despite reading here, I am still confused and realize just how little I know, besides the need to buy quality.

My uses are simple- Be able to shoot out to maybe 500-600 yards or so, with a default setting of perhaps 200 +/-. What I don't know is what to buy, how to mount and how to use. Other than windage & elevation what do all the knobs do? Yes, I am that new to this and would in the past simply hold up or down. Ouch.... Don't even get me started on all the different reticules. Huh?

This said, I'd really like to truly learn about the topic, select a good scope and then learn how to use it. I still need to think about rings and a quick disconnect. I picked the M25 for its integral rail & ability to use irons.

I am thinking of a Nightforce, mostly due to recommendations & word of mouth. From what I've read here the NXS line is well regarded. Don't see spending $1600-$1800 and then not having a clue.

So, where can I go to learn about this in a succinct "scopes for dummies" way?
Any suggestions on mounts & quick disconnects?

Thanks to all in advance!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Lots to discuss here. I'd take a gander at this as a starting point, lots of good info contained within.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/?p=1

As you do some research make sure you have some insight regarding; first focal vs second focal plane, MIL vs MOA, tube dia, objective lens, recticle types to include BDCs and illumination, zero stop, turret types, ect...

I'm getting ready to outfit my M25 too, just tying to decide between leapold mark IV vs VI. Lots of choices out there.

As for mounts SEI and Sadlak are pretty similar and considered top shelf, followed by arms and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good tips. I have some reading-and a follow up.

Lots to discuss here. I'd take a gander at this as a starting point, lots of good info contained within.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/?p=1

As you do some research make sure you have some insight regarding; first focal vs second focal plane, MIL vs MOA, tube dia, objective lens, recticle types to include BDCs and illumination, zero stop, turret types, ect...

I'm getting ready to outfit my M25 too, just tying to decide between leapold mark IV vs V. Lots of choices out there.

As for mounts SEI and Sadlak are pretty similar and considered top shelf, followed by arms and a few others I can't recall at the moment.
Looks like a good article, thanks. Need to read when I am not so tired! In your short post I realized how little I know. Never too old for school.

Question: Why would we need a mount if we have M25 models?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have an m25 and when I started looking for a scope I was in the exact same position, I went with the Leupold mark4 LR/T 6-10x40 here ar the reasons I started wih this:
1) it was/is a military issue item for the m14 and battle proven.
2) its a good quality scope, not top of the line but affordable, I can learn more and maybe change in he future.
3) mildots are easy to learn to shoot and are designed to be a range finding system.
4) windage knob is 1/2 moa and elevation knobs are 1 MOA.

I like my Leupold a lot!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
the m25 still uses a mount.
not a side mount but a mount that screws into where the clip guide is on an m14 and the front reciever ring.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have shot Leupold, Nikon and Zeiss and in the upper ranges models (+500) they are all excellent. But, the latest scope i picked up is a NF NXS 5.5-22 and the build quality is insane! If my rifle craps out on me (it won't) I can use the scope as a billy club! The NF is the first lit long range scope and it's nice to look through. I don't know how it shoots yet as I haven't finished setting it up but if this thing shoots half as good as it looks i should be in .5 all day long!

That being said I can't afford another one so I am looking at cheaper options for my EBR...

·
Premium Member
15,228 Posts
My preference after many hours of research has been the Leupold scopes.
Their 3.5 - 10 LRT with lighted reticle matches the M14 perfectly. They are 1/2 min. elevation and windage. The bullet drop compensator on the elevation is calculated for 168 gr bullets and works nicely. The side mounted focus is great for prone shooting, which is my choice of position. For a closer look at your target I have been using a 8.5 - 25 LRT which in my opinion is overkill for the M14.
If the Marine Corps chose the Leupold, that's more that good enough for me. Here is a photo of 3 of my LRB M25S.

Semper Fi
Art

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/ScopedM14s.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Plenty of good info on this site from experienced users and would also suggest you take a look at the Sniper 101 site which goes into very common sense approach to describe optics, good and the bad, regardless of brand. Discussions range from the various types of knobs/drums W/E, lens, 1st plane/2nd plane, reticles of all types/uses, diameter of the tubes, variables vs fixed power(issue to U.S. Mil. is I believe 10X,) application in different ranges, etc., etc. Scope prices on the better quality units are very expensive these days but the quality and versatility is also much improved over the years, but I disagree with some optics mfg.'s claiming that "accuracy" of the rifle will be improved if you use their product. Really?? If the shooter does not have the basics of marksmanship going for him, the most expensive scope/rifle combo will still render him a poor marksman. Your range of shooting, 200-600yds., would not require all that much magnification and would mention that with great magnification unless always shooting from bench/rest, that magnification also magnifies your visible pulse rate. There are few shooters that can control their sight picture in prone/sitting position(no support/bags/bipods) w/ optics of more than 16X. Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All very helpful comments

Very helpful comments all. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks.

I'll need to spend some time reading. Just need more of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts