M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on this stock on & off for a while now:

click the pic for a web page with more pictures...

It has more color, grain and figure than I've seen on a USGI walnut M14 stock to date. I'm sure some of you out there have seen better, but I'm pretty happy with this one. ;)

It really lights up in the sunlight and the grain shifts around as the light hitting the stock changes - very nice, lots of depth. I wasn't able to capture much of that in these pics but you can see something of what I'm talking about in these pics: pic 1, pic 2.

I sanded the wood to a pretty fine finish, and to get the glossy finish I allowed the last coat of danish oil to dry on the wood instead of wiping it off. The stock has a very tight trigger group lock up and will make a great shooter. I've got a couple of Hawk's dummy kits on order and one of them will definately be going on this rifle. 8)

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Very nice indeed. That is absolutely gorgeous!!!! :D :D :D You did an excellent job in bringing out the color and figure of the wood. Great job! 8)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. I think it's more the wood than me though... ;)

The glossy finish works well in the sunlight, it really helps add to the appearance of depth in the wood.

I'm still not entirely happy with the stock though. When you finish sand a stock to get an ultra-smooth finish it really highlights the small dings/dents that you didn't remove. This stock has a few small handling dings that I'd like to remove, but I'd have to remove more wood than I'm comfortable with. Haven't decided what to do yet.

At any rate, the dings are small and not very noticable unless you really look closely. I'm probably being too much of a perfectionist on this. :lol:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Moose! :D

That's the "all-TRW" LRB I had built by Smith Enterprise. It's a very nice standard grade M14.

TRW barrel, bolt, op rod & trigger group. Other than knowing that they are USGI (as I pulled most of them out of the wrap myself) I've idea on the mfg. of the small parts though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.