M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this rifle in 2012 as a standard grade and returned to LRB for the complete NM mods plus purchased an upgrade stock from Wenigs just to dress it up a bit(well, more than a little bit.) Rifle has a few hundred rounds through it using my reloads and some GMM as well and performance was what you would expect, very good. It has been stored for several months and decided to take to the range day or so ago and had purchased some IMI 150gr NATO rounds and tried it out for the first time. This ammo intended for what some would call "reserve ammo stash" and certainly not considered precision match grade level. Target at 100yds. from bench/bag with NM sights and the target has a small .5 moa orange dot in middle of the X ring.
I am accustomed to a 6 o'clock hold and fired 3-4 rounds for obtaining a good sight picture and needed to hold slightest amount higher to put rounds in the X ring. Fired 3 and checked with spotting scope and the orange dot was gone, three touching holes had taken it out. Shooting rifle supported says nothing about the trigger puller but does say a lot about the rifle and the ammunition being used. See and hear that the IMI ammunition is just average in quality, but in this rifle the combination is more than you ever expect with military ball ammo. Could repeat the same performance with additional shots during the day. I give a lot of credit to the Sak-Lowell barrel by Criterion offered by LRB and the mods they did to this rifle, it is definitely a shooter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds like you have a nice rifle!!! Congrats...
Curious, what is the date on the IMI ammo you used? I'm sitting on some also, dated "18"

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I have never used IMI 7.62 NATO ammo but I did shoot some IMI 5.56 mm 69 grain OTM ammo. It shot very well - right up until a primer blew out and jammed itself in the trigger group. I simply will not accept reliability issues with ammo even if the accuracy is good.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
So nice to read positive reports. When a barrel likes ammo, it can be just about anything.
Totally agree on the LRB Sako-Lowell NM barrel repros. I have a few of them on rifles and they really do a nice job. Shot a ton of DAG in them and they liked that too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts