M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 LRB's M25's on order. The first was to be put in a JAE-100 G3 stock and has a 22" Krieger SS National Match Heavy barrel. The second in a Sage Mod 0 with a 18.5" Criterion chrome line standard weight barrel. The M25 with the 22" is ready, but I probably have a long wait for the JAE stock. The second M25 is months away, but I already have the Sage stock. I"m going back to Texas from Thailand in about 2 weeks for a 2 week visit. I probably won't be back in Texas for many months.

Should I just have LRB send me the completed M25 and put it in the Sage stock for now so I can shoot it on this trip? Then take the 22" out of that stock when my second M25 with the 18.5" is ready or the JAE stock finally comes. Any reason NOT to do this? I don't think it's that hard to mount and then swap the rifles in these stocks is it?

I want to play with at least one of my new toys on THIS trip.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bangkok Paul,

As much as I understand the desire to fire the new M25 build while back in the states there are a few things to consider. Putting the action into the Sage is not just drop in and take back out.

1) Your sage would need to be the model designed for the heavy contour barrel. It has a different op-rod guide. Different op-rod guides per barrel type. Also must have the correct top 5 screw cover.

2) You would need to remove the op-rod guide and front band from your 22" to install into the sage. As well as use the crush collar or shim the gas cylinder.

3) If you have a unitized gas cylinder, you would have to replace it with a non-unitized gas clinder

4) You must reverse this process and return it back to the same config that it was when shipped to put into the JAE.

5) A portion of your two weeks will be spent doing this "work" instead of being at the range firing your other rifles

6) If your M25 22" is rear lugged, the conversation has ended now. Sage will not accept rear lugged receivers.

As much as I understand you want to fire your weapon, personally I would just wait and fire some of the other beauties you have. The process is not just " drop in and take back out". If you really can not wait, contact Tammy at Sage to see if your Sage will accomodate a heavy barrel and ask about getting the op-rod guide for heavey barrels.

Maybe just drop your M25 action into one of your wooden stocks to give her a test run over the two weeks.

Good things come to those who wait. But, it sure sucks waiting GI1

Monnie

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bangkok Paul,

As much as I understand the desire to fire the new M25 build while back in the states there are a few things to consider. Putting the action into the Sage is not just drop in and take back out.

1) Your sage would need to be the model designed for the heavy contour barrel. It has a different op-rod guide. Dirrerent op-rod guides per barrel type. Also must have the correct top 5 screw cover.

2) You would need to remove the op-rod guide and front band from your 22" to install into the sage. As well as use the crush collar or shim the gas cylinder.

3) If you have a unitized gas cylinder, you would have to replace it with a non-unitized gas clinder

4) You must reverse this process and return it back to the same config that it was when shipped to put into the JAE.

5) A portion of your two weeks will be spent doing this "work" instead of being at the range firing your other rifles

6) If your M25 22" is rear lugged, the conversation has ended now. Sage will not accept rear lugged receivers.

As much as I understand you want to fire your weapon, personally I would just wait and fire some of the other beauties you have. The process is not just " drop in and take back out". If you really can not wait, contact Tammy at Sage to see if your Sage will accomodate a heavy barrel and ask about getting the op-rod guide for heavey barrels.

Maybe just drop your M25 action into one of your wooden stocks to give her a test run over the two weeks.

Good things come to those who wait. But, it sure sucks waiting GI1

Monnie
Wow, didn't realize that sages were as complicated as they look.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Can't do it. It has a unitized gas cylinder and I don't want to screw with that or the op rod really. The JAE is going to be my long range gun for over 700 yards.

At least I'll have my new $3600 USO scope to look through according to Becky.

And, my NightForce scope for the Sage should get there too with a little luck.

I just wonder when LRB will start shipping the group buy M25's.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a chrome lined 18.5" Criterion standard barrel for the Sage Mod 0 stock. I'm going with the LRB bolt. What's the best trigger group that is readily available? I have the Sage stock waiting for me in Texas now.

Why can't the gas system be unitized with the Sage? Doesn't that decrease the potential accuracy?

My first Sage so I have a lot of question and am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why can't the gas system be unitized with the Sage? Doesn't that decrease the potential accuracy?

My first Sage so I have a lot of question and am open to suggestions.
Paul,

The sage chassis system does not utilize the front band, The sage does not have a ferrule

When you install your action into the sage, you will remove the front band, then use shims or the supplied crush washer to take up the difference on the barrel shoulder/gas cylinder.

The accuracy is maintained from the sage op-rod guide which replaces the one on your action. The sage op-rod guide is mounted by screws to the chassis.

Monnie

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Sage stock waiting for me in Texas. Since I in Bangkok for another 2 weeks almost, I haven't seen it yet. Sometimes it's hard to understand when you can't touch it and play with the parts.

Hope to be getting the call from LRB on my group buy M25 soon. Trying to get all the pieces together.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Just my suggestion Paul, but I would put the finished rifle with the 22" barrel in a standard fiberglass stock for now. That would allow you to shoot it. Later, install it in the JAE stock when you get it.

The shortie barrel in the Sage when you get that stock & when you get the receiver for it.

HH

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the M1A Scout stock I took off to put the Scout into my bullpup stock, but will that fit the Krieger Heavy SS barrel? Wouldn't the handguard have to be modified for the heavy barrel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.