M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an LRB M25, and planning on just letting them build the whole thing. Can someone comment on the differences between having LRB build the rifle compared to a gunsmith assembling the rifle parts? The planed rifle as of now will be an M25 reciever, Boyds wood stock, Kreiger barrel, unitized gas cylinder, and whatever parts LRB typically uses (no glass bedding at this time, will do it later when I get to shoot more often).

In addition to the key factors of cost, accuracy, and overall quality, how different is the fit & finish appearance of the two options?

Assume I would be going with one of the gunsmiths listed on this board, but probably couldn't afford one of the truly top notch guys (I assume they cost a lot more?).

Also, my intent for the rifle is recreational target shooting. I want a traditional looking M14 that is very accurate, but I'm not looking for a competition rifle.

Thanks to those of you that take the time to respond, and thanks to those of you that used this rifle in defense of our country!! Thank you from the younger generation....

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think you'll be thrilled either way. The "top notch guys" might not cost as much as you think, though. It doesn't cost anything to give Ted or one of the other guys a call and find out, and then you won't question yourself later. As to appearance, that gets down to whether you supply the parts kit or they do; whether it's made up of NOS parts or used parts; and whether or not you have them all re-parked together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
And what specs?

Same situation for me. I'm about to send my specs to LRB for an LRB M25 build (after dreaming about for 3 years!).

Searching the forum I see people asking specs that are parts only. The only technical thing requested occasionally is headspace, unitizing or trigger job.

Looking for ultimate reliability, I would ask a polished chamber and ramp, checking the bolt timing and firing pin protusion.
What else would you ask?

Or will I insult them asking so and better let them work their art (which I know little about)?

Hapdog: I can't help you but thougt my concerns are complimentary.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
While we have some of the best M14 Armorers anywhere on this forum, my M25 was built by LRB.

They will build my M14 as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hapdog, look at Jon Wolf in NC. He is building me a M25 now. I have one of his builds with his WMMW barrel and am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
The Gunsmith's on this board ARE truly top notch. One of them, Jon Wolfe has built quite a few M14 rifles, one M25 and even one M1 Garand for me, also to include a few AR's....I trust him and his work completely. Having said this, you will get a good rifle from LRB.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
You will be very happy with what you receive from LRB. Your question made me think. What is the inference between someone who builds M14 rifles and a gunsmith?
How do you gents define a "gunsmith". Personally when i think of a gunsmith I think of a shop that has the ability to work on many different rifles with a vast amount of knowledge covering many types. Maybe he went to a trade school or college to learn his trade and worked as an apprentice. One who learned from a ol salt.
Then I think there are the military Armorers from back in the day when the M14 was an issued rifle, we are fortunate enough to have a few of them on the forum with us.
Then there are the types that picked up the trade. Do I know how to build an M14 rifle? Yes do I consider myself a gunsmith? No.
I am not really sure how to answer your question. The way I see it every one of these rifles is a custom build weather they are a stock rack grade no mod rifle or one that has all the match conditioning mods done to it. The bottom line is they all need to be fitted together. the question we should be asking ourselves when we look to a have a rifle built and where to have it done is simple. Who out there has experience fitting all these parts together over and over and over again. What techniques are used to accomplish the task at hand?
Asking a question with regards to specific specifications is not really needed. All of the builders that are mentioned on the forum realize they are sticking there necks on the line when a rifle leaves there shop. There is a great deal of liability involved sending one of these rifles out the door. I doubt anyone of the builders on the forum would send something out the door that was not built with in spec parts.
So I ask the forum what is a gunsmith! What is an armorer? What is a builder? in your minds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can't go wrong either way. I have one built by LRB and one by Jon Wolfe. Both configured exactly the same way on LRB receivers. Both are amazing rifles, incredibly accurate, and have never missed a beat after 1,000s of rounds.

Both Jon and LRB are the nicest people to deal with and do incredible work. You will be thrilled with the results whichever way you choose...both take tremendous pride in their work.

There is nothing like getting to talk to and even see the people who are building your rifle. I spoke to Jon many times while he was building my rifle, and I live close to LRB and have watched them work on my rifles. Just the nicest and most knowledgeable people.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Just received an M25 built by LRB with a Kreiger heavy stainless barrel in 1-11. TRW bolt ,USGI trigger group, unitized gas cly,Sadlak components and LRB muzzel break in a JAE gen 2 with all the goodies. Exactly what I wanted and beautifully put together. They deffinately get my nod.
Art
SGT USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
DO NOT have a local gunsmith who is not experienced with the M1A/M14 assemble your rifle. Without a thorough knowledge and the correct tools the result can be very disappointing.

I have had excellent results with Ronnie Morris, he has built several match M1A's for me. Contact him at:

Match Service Works
422 Maple St.
Madison, TN 37115

615-868-4567

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think what 82nd Airborn was trying to say is that there's little or no difference between LRB and a "gun smith". OK, LRB produces enough volume to have receivers made to their specs. LRB sells receivers and parts in addition to building rifles, but they build M-14s (or variants) almost exclusively. The collective wisdom in the LRB shop is pretty darn good IMHO.

Although it took forever, I am delighted with my M-25 build by LRB and would gladly get them to build another if I could. Everyone in the shop is great to work with and good people.

That said, I'm sure there are "independent gun smiths" out there who specialize in M14 builds and would do just as good a job as LRB.

·
Registered
167 Posts
LRB Build

Sir, Have nothing really to add from previous advice, only to corroborate that you'll get as good a build from LRB as from any of our qualified smith's here....they're all good, and can build a better rifle than 99.9% of us can shoot. Apparently we have a few of those 1/10% here, but until you get there, ANY of the qualified smiths on this board(which includes LRB)will build you a wonderful working heirloom. Regards, P5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts