M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the LRB manufactured M14 bolt now a reality? I have read on their website the bolt will be available in January, 2011.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
More than likely to be released at the shot show.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Looking forward to there release. One will be in my next build. Have to stop over there after they get back from the show. To all that are going to the show have a great time and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Same here. I have full confidence that it will be just dandy or they wouldn't sell them yet. Must be nice to be that close to LRB!

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Yes it is. I was able to see the evolution of these bolts from the first prototype. Your right, they would not release it if it was not 100%

·
Registered
576 Posts
You know it feels good to have a plce like LRB where I can do my shopping locally. Great bunch of guys and loads of goodiesGI6

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I agree, LRB is a first class outfit.

I recently bought another US GI M14 parts kit from them, along with a new Criterion chrome lined GI profile M-14 barrel. Their service was prompt and they were a pleasure to deal with. They even give veteran & LE discounts.

7th

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,105 Posts
LRB Bolts

LRB tells me that the first 100 bolts are in production now. They are not sure just when they will be ready for release and do not have a set price at this time.
I had the privilege of testing and evaluating one of the first prototype LRB M14 bolts a few months ago. All I can say is it worked well and looked very good. Some final asthetic changes were being made and Lou was adamant that he wanted it to be as close to mil spec as possible.
I expect that it will be a fine addition to the LRB line.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's encouraging, Ted. But I'm curious as to what the challenges may be after seeing (I believe it was through a link here) pictures of the original equipment on which TRW's were manufactured on. Was there some unique process or forging that has now been lost? Or, is modern metallurgy and CNC able to match or beat what has gone before?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I spoke with Lou about this today at the SHOT Show. It will be part of my SHOT Show write up.

·
Automatic Rifleman
585 Posts
That's encouraging, Ted. But I'm curious as to what the challenges may be after seeing (I believe it was through a link here) pictures of the original equipment on which TRW's were manufactured on. Was there some unique process or forging that has now been lost? Or, is modern metallurgy and CNC able to match or beat what has gone before?
A lot of the issues that companies run into in trying to replicate some of these parts is one of economics. Most of these parts were originally made using purpose built equipment that is very costly. A cnc machine may take an hour to replicate what a proprietary machine could do in a single swipe... but then, that is the only thing that machine can do. When dealing with a relatively small market it doesn't pay to invest in a single use machine.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
CNC Machining

One of the advanages of CNC is that the machines being used to produce LRB's bolts gang up several at a time and do multiple machining operations in one set up.

The down side to this is that it requires a whole new set of gaging tools to inspect the product. The sequence of operations is not exactly the same as done on the original parts in 1957. Original spec gages do not work for some of the new operations.

On the other hand, finished tolerances can be held very close to the original finished specifications with proper quality assurance procedures.

·
Registered
266 Posts
From what I understand the LRB receivers are still having issues with the receiver bolt lugs and NEW GI bolts not fitting...

Any word if these bolts are going to be machined closer to LRB spec receivers?

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Bolt fit in LRB

I don't know where you may have heard that new production LRB receivers are having bolt fit problems with GI bolts. Over the last year I have installed a couple of dozen without problems. There was very little bolt lapping required. LRB has made several adjustments to the recoil lug surfaces in their receivers since they started production. Most of these related to improving head space when using chrome lined barrels, but they have also made improvements to the bolt / receiver fit. Current production is as good as I have seen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
@ Ted

Ive heard it from a few different ppl here and on other forums as well as from the reputable smith who built my rifle, GI bolt would not fit properly IE had to grin/file the receiver in order to get the New GI bolt in place to start bolt/receiver lapping (a common occurrence).

LRB M14SA 025** pretty recent serial number

Yeah im aware some people just don't want to hear that LRB may have some issues here and there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would wonder if the problem really lies with the barrel protruding to far and causing the bolt problem, do the receivers have this problem with no barrel installed?

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Bolt fit

This just hasn't been my experience. Older production receivers required more fitting, but I found that they could usually be adjusted with minor honing to the bolt lugs. Over the years, I have only had to return two receivers for being too far out of spec. One was a machining omission to the rear sight windage detents (that one really fell through the cracks) and one that the left recoil lug shoulder had an excessive gap that couldn't be corrected without excessive alteration to the right bolt lug.

I should note that I have returned many more receivers of other manufacturers. Entreprise and Armscorp being the most out of spec. I have also sent back an occasional Springfield receiver, but M1A receivers are generally very good and consistant for cast receivers.

I haven't found any manufacturer has produced perfect receivers throughout there production history. What I found with LRB is that they have made continuous improvements throughout their production and were able to make corrections very fast when they turned up. This probably has a lot to due with the fact that they are a small manufacturer and produce receivers in small lots so the problems that they have had only effected a few receivers and were corrected promptly. LRB is noted as being very responsive to input from armorers who build on their receivers and many of the improvements have been due to this direct input. I know of no other company making M14 receivers that has been so responsive to their customers.

·
Premium Member
18,102 Posts
The last two LRB M14SA recivers #028XX and #029XX that I used for builds were about as close to perfect as it gets. Very little fitting for 18.5 chrome lined Criterian barrels and NIW TRW bolts. I sure hope the next 4 I have on order are as good.
Art
SGT USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess i should have prefaced this to say I have never had a problem with any of the receivers I have from LRB, just stating that their might be a problem with a new production barrel or some other cause for the problem they have indicated.

I would wonder if the problem really lies with the barrel protruding to far and causing the bolt problem, do the receivers have this problem with no barrel installed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts