M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Currently deployed,( U.S. ARMY INFANTRY) but when I get back, I will be lookin into another M14.
I have a thing about 18-18.5in chrome lined bbls, and plan for this rifle to sport one as well. Also looking at a forged receiver, and USGI parts to make up the rest of the rifle, to include a synthetic stock. This rifle will be a shooter, so certain parts that are just as good as GI are acceptable, and I want the best forged receiver that is currently available.

Need some imput as I will only be able to afford one. ( Until I deploy again after this time)

Anyone have a pic of the James river heel stamp? ( I did a search here, but didnt come up with any pics of the JR heel stamp)
Which one should I go with? This one will need to be extra spl, as I plan to hand it down to my son.

Imput and opinions will be welcomed, as I need some help in this decision folks.

EDIT: I know very little about the James River M14's. Just started my research into them, but would appreciate a quick run down about them.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
You should check the group buy section of the forum. The forum is hosting a group buy for LRB right now. you can't go wrong with the LRB set up trust me I built five myself and working in two more. James river has been using the 7.62 receivers. The first three or four runs of the 7.62 did not have stellar reviews. They had there bugs but have been trying to work them out. With the LRB buy you will save some money on there bolt and barrel you should seriously consider this as your first option. Sai and Fulton are cast so considering you want forged they are pretty much eliminated. Sei is coming out with a receiver soon but it's not hammer forged it's going to be cut from a billet block of steel. I hate sounding like a broken record when it comes to LRB receivers but they are what I consider the rolex of m14 receivers and they are fairly prices for what they are. You won't get one closer to gi

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should check the group buy section of the forum. The forum is hosting a group buy for LRB right now. you can't go wrong with the LRB set up trust me I built five myself and working in two more. James river has been using the 7.62 receivers. The first three or four runs of the 7.62 did not have stellar reviews. They had there bugs but have been trying to work them out. With the LRB buy you will save some money on there bolt and barrel you should seriously consider this as your first option. Sai and Fulton are cast so considering you want forged they are pretty much eliminated. Sei is coming out with a receiver soon but it's not hammer forged it's going to be cut from a billet block of steel. I hate sounding like a broken record when it comes to LRB receivers but they are what I consider the rolex of m14 receivers and they are fairly prices for what they are. You won't get one closer to gi
Thanks for the input. Had no idea that they were producing thier own bolt.
I bought one of thier Criterion bbls in 18.5in chrome lined a few yrs ago for a build with an Norinco M14S receiver at it's heart, and am very impressed with it so far.
How are you liking the new bolt so far?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
7.62mm Firearms makes receivers for itself and for James River Armory. 7.62mm Firearms has made investment cast and forged receivers.

7.62mm Firearms cast receiver serial numbers start at 51000.

7.62mm Firearms forged receiver serial numbers start at 52000.

James River Armory cast receiver serial numbers start at 1000.

James River Armory forged receiver serial numbers start at 0001.

If you don't have to have a forged receiver, the Fulton Armory receiver is the best value right now.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Have not used one yet. They are in production and testing, they will be released very soon. They will be tested to failure so Lou knows they are good to go. I will use one on the next build. Which infanrty unit are you with? Where are you deployed this time. Is anyone using a 14 in your unit?

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Just a FYI here.....

762MM is not producing cast receivers at this time. They are in the process of retooling for them and will give us a update when they start back in production.

To date, they have only a small handfull of cast receivers that were sent out.

This would also include cast receivers that they produced for James River Armory.

They are still currently producing the 8620 hammer forged receivers.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have not used one yet. They are in production and testing, they will be released very soon. They will be tested to failure so Lou knows they are good to go. I will use one on the next build. Which infanrty unit are you with? Where are you deployed this time. Is anyone using a 14 in your unit?
I have an M14 issued to me. With respect, I cannot talk about the unit I'm with, where we are at, and our mission. I hope you understand.

Mine is a Win receiver.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I did check out the group buy, but it looks like I will wait for awhile until I'm ready.

I decided to gowith anLRB M14SA build. Here is what I'm lookin at.

1. LRB M14SA rec.
2. Criterion 18.5in chrome lined std contour bbl (7.62mm chamber)
3. GI synthetic stock. ( Will send it off to Tony at LAW483 for some custom mods)
4. LRB bolt, unless I can find a NIW TRW bolt. (Chrome firing pin)
5. GI complete trigger group
6. LRB op-rod and gas system ( Sadlak tin coated gas piston and SAI gas lock dovetail front sight with correct size tritium front sight)
7. SEI Vortex flash hider
8. GI rear sight assembly with std aperture
9. The rest of the rifle will be made up of USGI parts......niw or as new as possible, with Sadlak or SEI op-rod spring guide.

As for optics, I will most likely use a Bassett std low mount, with a decent set of rings, and a Vortex Viper 2-7x33 scope with dead drop reticle.

Also lookin at the Ultimak M8 rail handguard with a Micro Aimpoint to co-witness with the iron sights ( while Bassett mount is removed)

My understanding is that the Aimpoint will co-witness with the irons, and if it is a true co-witness, then it should allow me to zero the irons, then "lolly pop" the aimpoint to zero it this way as well. ( Works this way with the M4, and I dont see any reason why this method would not work with the M14/M8 combo.
Note: I may use the M8 on my M14S tanker build, or M1A-A1 Bush rifle, but havent came to a decision as of yet..

EDIT: So, it appears that 7.62mm builds receivers for James River...yes? Do they build them for Fulton as well?

Thoughts?

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I understand about the security issues. I was wondering because I just did a group buy for a neat tac comp in the group buy section and thought the piece might interest someone over in the zone. Have a good time with your build! Sounds like you know just what you want which is half the battle. Keep in touch

·
Registered
92 Posts
Fragout:
First, and most importantly, Thank You for your service.

My .02: Start with the LRB receiver. Find a new USGI bolt. You can cherry pick the components you want as time and finances allow and then have a reputable builder (we have quite an assortment here, pick one!) build it for you.

The finished product will be a rifle you will never regret because you used the best components from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand about the security issues. I was wondering because I just did a group buy for a neat tac comp in the group buy section and thought the piece might interest someone over in the zone. Have a good time with your build! Sounds like you know just what you want which is half the battle. Keep in touch
Will do, and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fragout:
First, and most importantly, Thank You for your service.

My .02: Start with the LRB receiver. Find a new USGI bolt. You can cherry pick the components you want as time and finances allow and then have a reputable builder (we have quite an assortment here, pick one!) build it for you.

The finished product will be a rifle you will never regret because you used the best components from the get-go.
Thanks.
I would rather use a new gi bolt, but finding one has been difficult as of lately. Does anyone know where I can find one?

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Gunbroker has a variety of gi bolts. Just don't buy one that came off of a drill rifle. The firingpins were welded in place and rendered the bolts unserviceable. Some try and pawn them off. RA parts will have a new gi bolt. Best bet is to watch the px section of the forum and jump on one there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You should check the group buy section of the forum. The forum is hosting a group buy for LRB right now.
82nd ABN, would you please point me to the group buy you're talking about. I looked in the Group Buy section and did a couple searches, but didn't come up with anything that looked current. I am in the market for an LRB M14SA right now. If I can save some money through a group buy, that would be great!

Edit: All I see in the Group Buy section is "There have been no posts in the last ___ days in this forum." It's because I don't have 15 posts yet. Newbie mistake.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gunbroker has a variety of gi bolts. Just don't buy one that came off of a drill rifle. The firingpins were welded in place and rendered the bolts unserviceable. Some try and pawn them off. RA parts will have a new gi bolt. Best bet is to watch the px section of the forum and jump on one there.
How much does a NIW stripped gi bolt cost from RA parts?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts