M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Chrome-Moly, un-parkerized. PFC Thomas does my parkerizing. I'll most likely have the barrels shipped directly to him.

They only offer 22" and 16.5" SOCOM length barrels.

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am interested in a medium and/or a heavy.

Any idea on twist rates?

1:10, 1:11, 1:11.25?
Most likely 1:10, but I can ask. Right now, they only offer a 1:10 twist for M14 barrels, but for a special order, maybe we can request something different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ETA: I'll take these two.

One-16.5" Socom 1:10/Medium. (I'd rather have a standard weight for this, but if not possible, I'll take a medium)
One-22" 1:10/Medium

All this board seems to do is cost me money!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Had tried ordering one of their medium match barrels on Sunday and was informed this morning they are sold out. Put me in for one medium weight 22" 1:10. Do they have to be parkerized?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What's with all the medium tubes! If yo want light weight, go for the GI profile, but it you want accuracy, go all the way heavy! :D Just joking of course, get what you want. I'm just hoping for enough heavies for a an order.

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds like we might have enough for both. I guess I'll go in for a medium myself...

Barrels come in-the-white and you don't have to have them parkerized if you have something else in mind.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Hey Tony, put me down for a medium weight 1-10 twist please.

Thanks,
Ren

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all! I have been lurking ( dreaming and scheming!) for some time on this forum soaking in all the wonderful information! Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and time.

That being said, I am ready to start a build and would definitely be interested in a heavy weight,
308 LW barrel. Count me in!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thanks for looking into this Tony. Hopefully LW will be willing to make the poly barrels for us.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just can't spend money on a new project, but just wanted to chime in. I feel like an idiot...I've never even thought of polygonal rifling for a rifle before. Glock barrels last for like...everrrrrr. What might the life of the barrel be if used on an M14 ? And yes, I know that's a ridiculous question with all the variables that go into it, but ya'll know what I'm driving at...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just can't spend money on a new project, but just wanted to chime in. I feel like an idiot...I've never even thought of polygonal rifling for a rifle before. Glock barrels last for like...everrrrrr. What might the life of the barrel be if used on an M14 ? And yes, I know that's a ridiculous question with all the variables that go into it, but ya'll know what I'm driving at...
The HK PSG-1 came equipped with a polygonnal barrel. At the time, HK guaranteed
MOA accuracy for a minimum of 20K rounds.
POF offers nitrided polygonal barrels and have made claims that their barrel will last tens of thousands of rounds. These barrels are what I would consider, forever barrels. An M14 equipped with one of these will last a very long time, and be able to be passed down for generations. I'm very excited about this! I'm in for two, a 16.5" and a 22", and I'd buy a third if they offered one in 19.25" (Such a nice barrel length!!) Thank you Tony for trying to make this happen!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The HK PSG-1 came equipped with a polygonnal barrel. At the time, HK guaranteed
MOA accuracy for a minimum of 20K rounds.
POF offers nitrided polygonal barrels and have made claims that their barrel will last tens of thousands of rounds. These barrels are what I would consider, forever barrels. An M14 equipped with one of these will last a very long time, and be able to be passed down for generations. I'm very excited about this! I'm in for two, a 16.5" and a 22", and I'd buy a third if they offered one in 19.25" (Such a nice barrel length!!) Thank you Tony for trying to make this happen!

And just when I thought I had a handle on things, all up to date with what's available out there, I read this lol. I seriously thank you for replying - I feel like a light just switched on in my head - enlightened. I didn't know the PSG-1 and POF had polygonal rifling. I'd like to see this done on 6.5 barrels, as it seems to wear out barrels quickly. I cannot throw my hat into the ring and promise to purchase one on a group buy, but I'll be watching this thread. I too would like a barrel in 19.25". It's probably good they don't offer it, because I'm not sure I could resist lol.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm certainly in the minority but I'd like to try a GI profile 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I would like to build more of a patrol-type rifle that's relatively light and easy (easier) to carry around.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm certainly in the minority but I'd like to try a GI profile 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I would like to build more of a patrol-type rifle that's relatively light and easy (easier) to carry around.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I don't think that you're in the minority. From what I've read, the options were for medium or heavy, and two different length barrels. I would rather have a standard weight 16" polygonal barrel, but since that wasn't an option, I chose the medium weight. Now, for the 22", I'd take the medium, and I'd also buy a 19.25" in a medium as well, should the powers that be decide to offer that length.

·
Registered
62 Posts
And just when I thought I had a handle on things, all up to date with what's available out there, I read this lol. I seriously thank you for replying - I feel like a light just switched on in my head - enlightened. I didn't know the PSG-1 and POF had polygonal rifling. I'd like to see this done on 6.5 barrels, as it seems to wear out barrels quickly. I cannot throw my hat into the ring and promise to purchase one on a group buy, but I'll be watching this thread. I too would like a barrel in 19.25". It's probably good they don't offer it, because I'm not sure I could resist lol.
I've swayed (Do I dare admit this on this forum? lol) back and forth on the M1A/M14 platform since the early 1990s. At times, I'd be all in, and other times, I didn't own a single one.
This all had to do with my criticism of the barrels, and barrel life. While more modern guns, like the SCAR 17S can have a barrel that, verifiably can achieve round counts past 100,000 rounds, I was "stuck" with a rifle that at best could maybe go to 10,000. Am I going to shoot that much? I don't know, but I like the assurance that I COULD, and that my barrel wouldn't be worn out. I'm glad that I recently got back into this rifle. It is my favorite, and the opportunity now exists that I can have a barrel that will last. This is HUGE! It's monumental, it's absolutely fantastic, and I say this with great enthusiasm! These barrels are definitely worth the cost of admission, especially for those like me that want that longevity, and a rifle that can be passed down, especially in our current political climate. It just makes sense. Kudos to both Lothar Walther and Tony for making this happen!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts