M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our forum members has shown interest in polygonal rifled M14 barrels. LW indicated to me that the minimum order is 5 or 6 barrels for a special order. I'm assuming that the barrels will cost the same as their current production barrels.

So at ~$450-ish each, who would be interested in a group buy for M14 barrels. They'd probably have to be the same contour as well, so I'd imagine a medium or heavy profile.

If we have enough interests, I'll ask the folks at LW for more details and run it by the forum staff to approve a group buy.

Tony.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Interested for sure.
PG

·
Premium Member
16,933 Posts
Any idea who is making the blanks for them?

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Yes, sir I would be interested, though more details will be needed. I have been wanting to try one of their barrels after reading your commentary on them Tony.

My research tells me they are an excellent manufacturer of rifle barrels and have been making them from before WWII.

THANKS,
REN

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Probably out of luck re this topic, but I will mention what I previously suggested last year for their consideration: A heavy profile in 6.5 Creedmoor. They apparently have the 6.5mm blanks and 6.5 CM reamers - but for reasons that make little to no marketing sense to me, they only offer this caliber in a standard (aka 'skinny)' profile barrel.

M14 / M1A Orig. GI6,5CreedmoorMuD:.478"L:22.00"Cr-Moly Steel

...IMO, a match caliber like the 6.5 CM that is successfully used in 1,000 yard competitions across the USA should be offered in heavy profile match barrels, and the demand for such a barrel might exist outside me - given that not even Krieger Barrels offers any M1A barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, so Walter could be first to market one, if they could be talked into it. A 6.5 CM with 5R rifling would be great too, as no M1A barrels are currently available with that system (Boots is retired and I think he was the only guy who made 5R barrels for the M1A).

I realize other buyers will want a 308W barrel, but since you asked the question, here's my dream...a match-quality heavy profile M1A barrel, short chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, with 5R polygonal rifling. Regardless, I hope this group buy pans out.

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably out of luck re this topic, but I will mention what I previously suggested last year for their consideration: A heavy profile in 6.5 Creedmoor. They apparently have the 6.5mm blanks and 6.5 CM reamers - but for reasons that make little to no marketing sense to me, they only offer this caliber in a standard (aka 'skinny)' profile barrel.

M14 / M1A Orig. GI6,5CreedmoorMuD:.478"L:22.00"Cr-Moly Steel

...IMO, a match caliber like the 6.5 CM that is successfully used in 1,000 yard competitions across the USA should be offered in heavy profile match barrels, and the demand for such a barrel might exist outside me - given that not even Krieger Barrels offers any M1A barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, so Walter could be first to market one, if they could be talked into it. A 6.5 CM with 5R rifling would be great too, as no M1A barrels are currently available with that system (Boots is retired and I think he was the only guy who made 5R barrels for the M1A).

I realize other buyers will want a 308W barrel, but since you asked the question, here's my dream...a match-quality heavy profile M1A barrel, short chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, with 5R polygonal rifling. Regardless, I hope this group buy pans out.
Although they don't list it, I talked them into offering 6.5 in medium weight barrels. The Black Mamba, in the modern rifle section has a medium weight 6.5C barrel, nitrided.

Tony.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Howdy, in regards to LW, I have had two. Now have one. First was on an Armalite AR-10T LW 1/11.25 .308 Factory offering and probably the most accurate rifle I ever owned. I still own a RRA in .17 rem put together by Matt Salm. It will shoot under 1 moa consistently. Both were polygonal rifled and a snap to clean.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Howdy, in regards to LW, I have had two. Now have one. First was on an Armalite AR-10T LW 1/11.25 .308 Factory offering and probably the most accurate rifle I ever owned. I still own a RRA in .17 rem put together by Matt Salm. It will shoot under 1 moa consistently. Both were polygonal rifled and a snap to clean.
Thank you sir,

For that first hand knowledge! It goes well with what I have read about theses barrels.

I know some ill informed folks have purchased expensive LRB receivers just to use cheaper barrels, I just don’t understand that way of thinking. The three things you don’t do when building a M14, you don’t buy cheap receivers, you don’t buy cheap barrels, and you don’t look for the cheapest builder.

There are things that allow you to cut corners, cut costs, the M14 is not that thing.

I have a LRB receiver on its way and I won’t cheapen the build with a low quality barrel.

REN

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I would take a medium to save

1 - 20 of 69 Posts