M14 Forum banner

Losok Valkyr Rifle/M14-06 info

12K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Law483 
#1 ·
I am starting this thread to kind of consolidate info from a few threads in other areas, like the M14 in 30-06 and 8mm in the M14 forum, and the WTF is this thread here, as well as the recent activity in the 7.62mm area. I will post here to keep updates on what is going on, and be happy to respond to any interest in the rifle here as well. 7.62mm is no longer the licensed manufacturer of the rifle, and I will be announcing the name of the new licensee as soon as they are ready. The rifles will remain on the same schedule for production, delivery starting no later than 4-30-12 and most likely sooner than that.

If you want to order one, am taking orders with 50% down and the rest on delivery. I will be setting each one up custom, so hit me with special requests etc. I cant really give an exact price but figure on around $2800 for most common calibers, depending on if you use our barrels or spec a Krieger, or other makers. Obviously if we go full custom price is dependent on what is ordered in regard to stocks, barrels, accessories and the like.

Thanks again for all your advice, support and hopefully soon orders.

Mark Lammers
Losok Custom Arms LLC

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the update Mark. Keep me posted on how your conversation goes with Krieger. Last I spoke to him, he was pretty booked up until the spring. Are the 8mm models going to be out in the same time frame? I know you have been in contact with LAE and Law483 any chance you plan on contacting Mcmillan as well? Thanks for your answer on the other thread. I was going to go to the shot show now I regret my decision not to go. Have to get that reloading bench up to speed, I also just sent a rifle out for bedding and sent a barrel to compass lake to turn into a NM upper. I have to catch up again before I can get crazy, lol. I take it you will be out at camp Perry this year. I am going if I have to walk.

#4 ·
Yep, I will be there for sure. I will probably build one up for me to shoot in the 1000yard matches, and also see if I can persuade a shooter I know on one of the teams to shoot it in a match he is not shooting in otherwise. I can get blanks and turn them here that is now no longer an issue, so as long as I can get a Kreiger blank, I can turn the contours. I cant state enough, how hard I plan to work this rifle to get it out there in the hands of shooters. I will probably be able to offer Garand Conversions if guys are interested. In that scenario, we could use any stock, and have their garand for all the parts except barrel(even that if its a good one), receiver, and trigger housing, and oprod spring guide. I could then alter the stock to run the standard garand wood, or install in one of the various stock options by LAW483 or our in house design. I will also be setting up our aluminum chassis for the standard M14.

The 8mm and 7mm I can do now, just have to get the blanks in to turn them. I will say that the 8mm will be a bit of a challenge as their is such a wide variety of ammo out there that varies crazily in specs and size. I think it will be more than easily addressed, just will be interesting to see how she runs say Turk vs German vs Yugo vs Romanian vs Paki etc. I dont see feeding or function issues, just a lot of variance in accuracy.

Tony, I look forward to working with you and 82nd in the future, and if its something truly custom you want, give me a call I am sure I can work something out for you, since custom takes time, so can the purchase.

#5 ·
Your rifles are certainly catching my attention. I am sorry to say i have not read all the threads on them. From reading your reply it looks like you will be using garand components which are tried and tested no doubt. Do you ever plan on making any using M14 components? If in fact you have the Krieger blanks is there a possibility to have one made in a longer length than 22 inches? Basically running a little more blank between the gas system and Flash hider. To be honest I wish I lived in the neighborhood, I would enjoy stopping by and pestering you during the development.
My idea of a custom set up would be along the lines of a Mcmillan M3A adj style stock, scoped rifle, with a barrel made from a krieger blank a couple of inches longer say 24 or 26 inches, mag fed. Possibly a rear lugged version. Something along the lines of one of my M25's like this one.

I have my hands in a few rifle projects already for the year and putting one of these on the list might not work out until possibly the fall or winter of next year. Half my problem is I start another project before I finish one so they are all always in different stages and I want to finish them before I commit to a custom rifle. However, you sound pretty determined to get these underway and I am not nor do i se you going anywhere anytime soon. I am PMing you, I would like to get your number so we can talk.

#7 ·
82nd. Yes we will be building with the M14 gas system, and in fact most of the rifles will have that system I think. Yes we can extend the barrel between the gas cylinder and the flash hider, that is no problem at all. Since most of the trigger group components interchange between the M1/M14 the housing is modification of the M14 housing design to use the larger mags, the bolt will have a roller like the M14 but be longer, and will work with the M14 rod.

The rife in the pics in the 30-06/8mm thread and magazine articles is in a McMillan M3A stock modified and inletted to the receiver of the new rifle. We can pretty much custom make the rifle to what you want it to be.

Art, Thanks for the interest, if you are going to be out at SHOT look me up at booth 1910, if I am not there just have them give me text or leave a card so I can get back to you.

#8 ·
I'm not trying to bash the 30-06 or 8mm or anything, but are there plans to chambering it in a more modern caliber? Something like the .260 remington or 6.5 creedmoor? I guess being a long action, 6.5-284 would be more feasible.

#9 ·
I will be honest, we can do it in virtually any caliber. We can do the short action rounds as well, just use an M14 mag with magazine well spacer and it runs good. I think if you look though you will find that if you load cases like the 6.5X55 with modern powders and to modern pressures, you will get near 6.5X284 ballistics without the overbore barrel life issues that the 6.5X284 has.

#10 · (Edited)
I made the references to the original posts into hot links...

I am starting this thread to kind of consolidate info from a few threads in other areas, like the M14 in 30-06 and 8mm in the M14 forum, and the WTF is this thread here, as well as the recent activity in the 7.62mm area. I will post here to keep updates on what is going on, and be happy to respond to any interest in the rifle here as well...

Mark Lammers
Losok Custom Arms LLC

It was great meeting Mark at SHOT 2012. The LAW483 V14-06H13 stock we provided fit well considering I did not have a LOSOK Valkyr on hand with wich to build a pattern or to fit the stock to it; plus it was a last minute installation on Marks part. We have some minor tweaking to do on the pattern, but we are very happy with the balance and feel of the rifle.

When Mark gets a chance he will be bedding the action into the stock and fitting the slotted Walnut handguard that we provided.

#11 ·
That rifle is gorgeous mark!

I made the references to the original posts into hot links...

It was great meeting Mark at SHOT 2012. The LAW483 V14-06H13 stock we provided fit well considering I did not have a LOSOK Valkyr on hand with wich to build a pattern or to fit the stock to it; plus it was a last minute installation on Marks part. We have some minor tweaking to do on the pattern, but we are very happy with the balance and feel of the rifle.

When Mark gets a chance he will be bedding the action into the stock and fitting the slotted Walnut handguard that we provided.

#15 ·
How about the old reliable 270 Winchester? Mark, I must say that is one beautiful rifle. As for that Nitride Coating you offer, well that's the cat's meow! I will be posting shortly the work you did to my TRP. You have my endorsement on your work. You did an excellent a job for me & turned out far better than I exspcted. Your work is Great & I'm sure your baby Valkre looks just as good. Pictures do not do it justice till you hold it & see it for yourself, fabulous!

#14 ·
I will be updating soon with some more pics. That one at the show, is a rare beast, its the worlds only M14 style rifle with a two groove barrel. I had a brand new two groove 03A3 barrel to M14 specs and it works good. I need to get out and shoot her a bit. Post Show I have been crazy busy on Nitride work and follow ups, as well as fielding calls on the rifle.

#19 · (Edited)
I just HAVE to ask.

Valkyr = Virgin Battle Maiden, Chooser of the Dead, Odin's and daughters of Royalty who served the honored Warrior Dead in Odin's Great Hall at Valhalla?

I know a little of Norse Mythology but am no expert. Oh, I will close with a poem I read in the 60's.

The Thunder God went out to ride
upon his favorite filly.

"I'm THOR !!!, " He cried, the horse replied,
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly......."

If Ragnarok can be brought on by bad puns, this one MAY do it. Grin.

Edited to add: My silly poem was in no way meant to demean Losok's rifle and I hope everyone understands that. I just have a vivid imagination and my mind can wander into other areas when I think of something.

#20 · (Edited)
I promise some more pics tomorrow, I will put some up of the aluminum chassis rifle. I wanted to get it done today, but had to go buy a new axle for my truck, have to have wheels. I was talking with LAW483 and we hope through some collaborative efforts to come up with some really wild extreme rifles for ourselves that could be duplicated if folks like them. I for one would like to do one in 375 Ruger as just for kicks bear gun.

PS

For Gus, I chose the name for the Norse meaning Valkyr= Chooser of the Slain, the battle maidens who rode the field of battle choosing who was go on to ValHalla? Other versions also see them as protectors of the Norse warriors in battle.

#21 ·
Aluminum chassis

Here are some pics of the prototype chassis, along with the heavy barrel configuration rifle. The rifle has a muzzle diameter of .840 and is threaded 5/8X24. This configuration is a true heavy barrel precision platform, not the heavy behind the gas cylinder configurations of the past. There are some other versions of this to come, that will have slightly shorter gas systems, still of the garand type to facilitate large diameter barrels.

#23 ·
Love the heavy barrel on that - it ought to be a tac driver.

what did the final weight come out to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.