M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a socom 2 and a m1a and cannot seem to keep the scope mount tight on either gun for any length of time. they are both springfield mounts . does anybody have one to reccomend that will stay tight? thanx , mike

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Sadlak and Bassett are my favorites. I have a Sadlak and it is my recommendation if you don't plan on removing the mount in the future.

Oh, I almost forgot, for my SOCOM I installed a Ultimak M8 rail so that I could use a scout type scope setup. It has been as solid as a rock from day one.

·
"Death From Above"
11,920 Posts
Clean the grease off the screws and the holes in the receiver and clip guide mount. Then reinstall them with a small amount of loc tite, a little dab. Tighten the screws by hand then give them another turn with a screw driver only turn them about 1/4-1/3 turn.

I have a SAI gen III and it did the same thing until I did the above. It won't come loose again. These mounts always get the short end of the stick but if you do what I suggest you won't have a problem again.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,124 Posts
Clean the grease off the screws and the holes in the receiver and clip guide mount. Then reinstall them with a small amount of loc tite, a little dab. Tighten the screws by hand then give them another turn with a screw driver only turn them about 1/4-1/3 turn.

I have a SAI gen III and it did the same thing until I did the above. It won't come loose again. These mounts always get the short end of the stick but if you do what I suggest you won't have a problem again.
+1 also xlr8ter,
What 82nd ABN just posted above is correct. My SAI Gen. III is great once I learn to tighten it down (been shooting it now for eight years), plus it holds the zero when I take it apart to do major cleaning.DI5

·
Registered
570 Posts
I found a SAI Gen 4 mount on sale (somewhere on-line) during the holiday
season and put that on at the time. I wanted to try a scope and this mount
was deeply discounted so I couldn't resist. :)

I've shot nearly 500 rounds since then and it has remained as tight as nun's
knees... It's really tight. (I'm a Catholic so I can say that)

I am very pleased with this mount and I have not experienced any
deficiencies yet. It fit like a glove on my Socom 16 receiver and has held
good and tight. For what it's worth...

I'm thinking of milling those stupid looking over-sized screws into
hex screws, for better grip and looks too.

Good Luck

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
In no particular order:
Sadlak
Smith Enterprise
ARMS
will all hold zero. There may be a few others as well.
These -- but I will agree with the post above this one that the new Springfield Gen 4, with an addition contact point, is the MOST secure SA mount yet. And the rail is longer than most of these.

Springfield supplied one with my M21, and it was a very secure, very well made mount. It's no Sadlak, but I don't think it costs as much, either.
'

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a gen 4 Springfield Alum. mount for my new Scout Squad. I tossed around the gen 4 steel mount but before I decided to spend $125 more I found the alum, new in box, at a gun show. I am not liking the instructions of whacking it with a plastic hammer to get it to fit! This just sounds....half assed! I'm wondering not only how much it deforms the alum. mount where it fits in the receiver slots, but also how much the receiver slots get dinged in the process? I wrote email to Springfield and they said "We recommend not removing it after install". Is this so I don't see the damage? :>)
Actually, it seems that the design was for removal, otherwise the big knobs aren't needed?
I'm now thinking about selling it while new and going with the gen 4 steel, although NOW my 90 day after purchase date is up for my "loaded" coupon.

What is the difference between the ALUMINUM gen 3 and gen 4?

If I decide to keep it and install I'm thinking about drilling/tapping a forward hole as the gen 4 steel mount has for another touching point. Anyone done this?

D.

·
Registered
781 Posts
These -- but I will agree with the post above this one that the new Springfield Gen 4, with an addition contact point, is the MOST secure SA mount yet. And the rail is longer than most of these.

Springfield supplied one with my M21, and it was a very secure, very well made mount. It's no Sadlak, but I don't think it costs as much, either.
'
That is an awesome photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the SA gen 4 aluminum mount on my M1a NM. Removed it after 400+ rounds to do some open sight shooting. After reattaching I have shot an additional 300+ rounds and it still retaines its zero. Have not used any loc-tite, just degreased the threads on the attachment screws and tightened them down. It has always been solid as a rock, so needless to say I am very pleased with both the SA M1a, which I purchased new last April, and the aluminum mount. I went for the aluminum mount over the steel to save a few ounces, as if the rifle isn't heavy enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good thread guys. I believe that as state above peoples problems with the Springfield Mounts is that they dont tighten them down enough....

The 3rd Gen mount had a one piece rail that extended the whole lenght of the mount and was not realy centered over the bore. It was slightly to the left. The Rail wasnt picatinny but a cross between Picatinny and weaver.

The 4th Gen Aluminum Mount is the 3rd Gen with some upgrades.... It is basically centered on the bore and has the center section cut out to allow more ejection space. The rail is very close to picatinny spec so it will accept more rings without issue.

Whacking the side of the mount as described in the instructions will cause the aluminum to custom fit to the side of your reciever and will not harm the steel of the reciever. IF you dont form the mount to the reciever there is a good chance that as you shoot the rifle the vibrations will cause it to loosen up and in turn ding up the edges that are supposed to mate together during installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eagle5 and Slimj,
Thanks, you guys answered some questions for me. I really appreciate it. So often on talk groups when you ask a specific question you get answers like "Buy a Sadlak" which neither answers a question or gives any info. Thanks again.

Has anyone thought about adding the third contact point to the front of mount like steel mount and/or Sadlak, etc.?

D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I seem to have found one of the problems to get around with the 4th gen alum. mount. While scope shoping at a gun show today I took the mount with me and ALL of the scopes I tried I couldn't get both rings on the two pieces of picitinny rail, and the scopes that had single snap on/off mounts would mostly cover the empty area in the middle. To get two rings on the two pieces of rail I had to go with longer scopes than I want on the Scout Squad.

D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.