M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bare with me, I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been new to the M14/M1a platform wanting to know a few things that seem pretty obvious to people who have been messing around with them for awhile. I figured I would ask so others starting out with the M1a won't be in the same boat if they see this thread.

Now, to my question haha. I recently bought an op rod spring guide and tin gas piston from Sadlak for my new M1a Scout. The spring guide was an easy install done in seconds, but I am having the hardest time trying to loosen the gas plug to replace the gas piston. I also bought the combination tool and gas cylinder wrench from Sadlak, but it's not really helping. The wrench seems wobbly and the combination tool doesn't give me the length I need to really put some leverage on it. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a common method anyone uses? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah I figured since it was a new gun it would be tighter than usual. Yeah, I used the wrench just for counter force, not to torque the barrel. I apologize if I sounded like I was doing the opposite.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice. Yeah, no bench vice right now. That will be a future purchase for sure! Thanks for the tip on using the tape too. I was afraid I was going to mess with the finish. Haha yes that guy at SAI needs to chill out with that wrench! I will definitely be putting lube on the threads too, thanks for the recommendation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.