M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before I get started I will state that I've not fired this rifle since putting it in a. Tight gi stock. I've noticed that the oprod guide has a bit of side to side wiggle to it, but not front to back. As in it pivots on the barrel. Is this something I should go ahead and correct before begin accuracy testing? Rifle is norinco m14s w/ original barrel/oprod/guide/gas system. If so how should I correct this? Thanks for any and all suggestions! Oh and merry christmas!

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is a known problem with Chicom bbls. I have one of my own with this problem. The solution is straightforward, remove the op rod guide and knurl the bbl with a knurling tool. Just be careful to let the tool do the cutting, as you can actually crimp the bore if you overtighten it. (Or so I've read!GI8)

And definitely fix it first. Mine was a little loose like yours, but after a weekend Appleseed (read 400+ rounds), it was so loose that the op rod barely lined up with the gas piston. No worries, though, the rifle kept running the whole time, I only noticed it when I tore it down to clean.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I am reading "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" it says knurl it and put loctite on it, but the loctite type was not mentioned. It makes sense to me to use the red loctite

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Ok before I get started I will state that I've not fired this rifle since putting it in a. Tight gi stock. I've noticed that the oprod guide has a bit of side to side wiggle to it, but not front to back. As in it pivots on the barrel. Is this something I should go ahead and correct before begin accuracy testing? Rifle is norinco m14s w/ original barrel/oprod/guide/gas system. If so how should I correct this? Thanks for any and all suggestions! Oh and merry christmas!
And Happy New Year. Yeah, fix it. Think of it this way: A loose op rod guide on a 14 is as bad or worse for accuracy than a loose gas cylinder on a Garand. You can knurl the barrel boss (that's the Cadillac way) or use JB Weld or red Loctite, put the op rod guide back on, put the op rod back in and align w/ piston tail, allow epoxy a couple hour to set up, drive the pin back in taking care not to disturb alignment. Let it set up completely before you shoot again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am reading "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" it says knurl it and put loctite on it, but the loctite type was not mentioned. It makes sense to me to use the red loctite
I just did mine yesterday, and used 640 "sleeve retainer" loctite over knurling. I've had good luck with it in the past on other parts like this, apparently it was made more for the bigger tolerances found on assembly's like this, rather than screws. I like that it is thick, and dosen't run, and takes about 24 hours to set up, so you can take your time getting things lined up right. Parts can still be taken apart later, but it's a little tougher than other loctites.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
used 640 "sleeve retainer" loctite over knurling. apparently it was made more for the bigger tolerances like that it is thick, and dosen't run, and takes about 24 hours to set up, so you can take your time getting things lined up right. Parts can still be taken apart later, but it's a little tougher than other loctites.
thank you Good To Know

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Well, it might teach us more if you did testing before and after. I would be willing to bet that it will have little or no effect on accuracy. Why ? You say....well because I already did it. Now I am not saying that all rifles will be unaffected by a loose guide, but mine wasn't. It was wobbling all over the place and held 1'' groups. The round count is now 131 and still shoots MOA with my handloads..... milsurp about 2 1/2"

I am thinking about scoping it next and tightening the guide to see how much if any improvement is made, of course I will shoot irons first after tightening to see if there is a change, but it is hard to improve on MOA with irons, on a rifle that is reportedly not able to do so. If you don't belive that, just go to ar15.com and ask some of those experts over there....they will all tell you it is not an accurate weapon......geez..news to me...heh heh...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Rip,

How bad was yours? Mine was bad enough I was getting less than 1/3 contact between the piston and oprod. I can hardly imagine that such a thing wouldn't adversely effect accuracy, but I've seen crazier things.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I think Rip's playing April Fool's on us for New Year's. Those things need to be fixed before they lead to more expensive issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts