M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this M1A, and when I tore it down I noticed that the op rod didn't line up exactly with the gas piston. I tried to move the op rod guide, but it's firmly in place, and that's when I noticed that there's about 1/8" clearance between the OD of the op rod and the ID of the guide. Neither part appears to have much wear on them, but I'm starting to think this rifle was refinished since it looks nearly brand new, and the gas cylinder plug has alot of corrosion on the bottom. Anyways, is there any way to tell which part is the problem before I go spending a couple hundred on a new op rod? 8O

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha BKennedy:

Are these USGI or commericial parts? Do you have an extra op rod guide? Maybe you can see how a known to fit op rod guide will stack up against what you have...

The alignment is not so much a problem especially since it seems the op rod guide holds on to the barrel really well...

This experiment might show you if a $10 op rod guide will fix the problem or if you need a $90 op rod...

I hope its the guide! Good Luck...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loose op rod

The parts are all GI, I believe. Everything on the rifle was supposed to be HR, but the op rod is Winchester. I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if this was one that was made in Taiwan that were stamped with Winchester's code. Anyways, I ordered an op rod guide so maybe that will solve the problem. If it doesn't fit any better then I'm back to square one. It seems that this rifle has been refinished, so that may be masking some of the wear, but I've never seen this much space in the guide.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
loose op rod

Actually I'm looking at it now and it doesn't appear to have as much clearance from this angle. It seems like the play is in the other part of the rod. Someone suggested that it's possible that the barrel wasn't indexed correctly. I think that may be the problem. Dan, are ya out there? I need some help! :lol: If the barrel isn't indexed properly and someone goes and straightens it out, isn't this going to change the headspace?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
It may be that the op rod guide is not centered. Kuhnhausen indicates that a light tap on the guide should make the op rod line up. And, if the op rod guide is tight on the barrel to begin with, the better.

If the barrel already appears correctly indexed, then I would try tapping the guide just a bit to make the op rod line up with the piston.

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.