M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know of anybody who has a M21 stock that they want to sell? Trying to avoid directly purchasing from SA. I don't even know if it's possible. I've seen a couple posts on here that suggest that you can buy directly from SA. Looking to spend 300-400. Stock will be used for a custom M1A project. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. This is my first post and this site rules.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Id just get a Mcmillan

·
Registered
67 Posts
The M21 stock is made for Springfield by McMillan, isn't it? Do they sell that stock separately?

Just sent my whole M21 back…

what kind of groupings do you get with the m21 compared to the m14?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I looked on both McMillan and Boyd's web-site's, but neither of them have the M21 stocks listed any more.....

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
Mcmillan never made an M21 stock. They are only made by Boyd's, and only available thru SAI, since the M21 is a commercial SAI rifle. It has nothing in common with the Army M21 sniper rifle.

Mcmillan's M3 (?) stock was used on the Army's short lived M25 project and is also used on the SAI Whitefeather, when produced.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Gunrider,

I know we're splitting hairs here, and the difference between 3/4" and 1 moa is insignificant, probably more about the shooter than the gun, but do you have any theory of why the wooden M21 stock gives you better groups than the JAE?

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,825 Posts
The JAE stock is an interesting and well engineered synthetic stock. It has an effective bedding system, but doesn't lend itself completely to the many variations found in commercial receivers. The SAI M21 stock being glass bedded, provides a perfect fit to the action bedded in it. That is the contributing factor in why it's accuracy is usually somewhat better than JAE and other aluminum stocks.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
That makes sense. You're saying that the full support of the bedding stabilizes the receiver better than the two lugs of the JAE pulling the receiver down onto the top of the aluminum chassis. My receiver is a very tight fit in my JAE but I guess it could be a more secure fit in a fully bedded stock. Is there any noticable benefit of a fully bedded fiberglass, such as a McMillian, over a bedded M21?

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,825 Posts
Boyds' does make the SAI M21 stock. They have sold a few direct in special sales, over runs, etc., but it's not a catalog item. SAI sells them, of and on, depending on their inventory.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
Do you have a source for Boyds' as the maker of the SA, Inc. M21 stock? Wenig used to make it as that company had a web site photo of one in production in its shop. TIA
I was under the impression that the older ones, with the knurled adjustment knob, were made by Wenig and the new ones, with just a set screw, are being made by Boyds. I have no idea what I am basing this on, and I could easliy be full of poo-poo. RNGR1

The newer ones (Boyds) also have a raised cheekpiece on the left side and the front of the comb is shaped differently. The bolt lock cutout is more square on these as well. Older ones (Wenig) are oval.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I wish there was a standard or medium contour M21 adjustable type stock. Yea, I can have anything custom made, but that gets expensive fast. If I was any good at carving, I would buy one from SAI and lighten it up a bit. Adding the adjustable hardware to a usgi big red walnut would be PURE HEAVEN. I may have to look into that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mcmillan never made an M21 stock. They are only made by Boyd's, and only available thru SAI, since the M21 is a commercial SAI rifle. It has nothing in common with the Army M21 sniper rifle.

Mcmillan's M3 (?) stock was used on the Army's short lived M25 project and is also used on the SAI Whitefeather, when produced.
McMillan makes the M1A, M3A & the adjustable cheek rest ADJ M3A
M25 McMillan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.