M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Eye Master
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I had someone buy one of my adjustable M14 triggers, and then request a return with an apology because he did not see that it said USGI, and he had a Polytec, so it didn't fit.

Truth is, the only reason I say USGI is that I have never tested a Polytec, never even seen one. I know some parts are not interchangeable, but don't know which, don't know if the trigger is one of them.

Can someone out there school me on trigger groups for a Polytec? Are they USGI compatible? If not, can you describe the difference? Is this something (given that I am making my own triggers from scratch) that I could do a minor design modification so that I do fit a polytec?

Is the problem just inside the housing, such that I could buy or borrow a PT housing for testing, or would I need to buy an entire rifle, because the difference is more than just TG fit?

Thanks,

Art

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Art
I have fitted dozens of Chinese trigger groups with US GI M14 and GARAND hammers and triggers. No problems. The only issue is with fitting the SMITH OVERSIZE TRIGGER PINS, as some Chinese trigger housings are slightly undersize at the trigger pin hole.

I have also seen a few where the holese are drilled ar a slight angle causing drag and a few where the front pads of the housing are offset , causing the entire trigger group to tighten up crooked/ angled.

Just because I am retentive, my personal Chinese M14 is running a TRW USGI Trigger group, but I have also done dozens of decent trigger jobs using all Chinese parts. A large percentage of Chinese M14 triggers are VERY POOR for having a proper angle on the disconnector, and the hammer hooks are often uneven in length as well.

I woukd suspect that your precision parts are NOT at issue here ... rather they went to some one who does not know how to fit them properly. I would never consider any M14 trigger work, as simple as it can be, to those who know how to do it, as proper tasks for BUBBA. Of the last four CANUCK/ CHINESE M14 rifles I took in on trade, THREE OF THEM HAD UNSAFE TRIGGERS DUE TO "DO IT YURSELF GUNSMITER" INTERVENTION.

A Canadian gun magazine ran an article on "how to upgrade yur M14". Their definition of a "trigger job" was to slather on some lapping compound ....
Nuff said.

·
Eye Master
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you - that explains a lot. There are two sources of Chinese trigger groups that I am aware of: Polytec, and the ones that were (or are) being sold out of Taiwan. I have a Taiwanese one, and did have to do some smithing to get the trigger to work. The actual smithing was using a belt sander, the more difficult part was figuring out where to sand. I recall the gap between the ears on the spring housing were too big, so the trigger was binding, and I had to remove some width on the trigger. Then the pad in the housing that determines left-right position was too short, so the side of the trigger bow was rubbing in the slot, so I took some off the side of the trigger bow.

I have also run into undersize holes that I had to polish up ...

I just assumed all of these were the Taiwanese problems I saw on my housing. I had no idea they were exactly the same problem as the Polytecs. Makes you wonder if Polytec and the current Taiwanese manufacturer are one and the same.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Art
I do not think the issues you had with the Taiwanese TG are in the Norinco/Poly TGs. Like I said, I have done dozens of trigger up grades on the Chinese/ Norc/Poly rifles with US GI M14 and Garand hammers and triggers. They should be DROP IN!!! I never needed no major surgery with a belt sander??? The only real issue was with slightly undersize trigger pin holes when using the MAX DIAMETER SEI trigger pins.

Maybe you should send me a trigger to try in a few different Chinese Trigger Housings??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts