M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to pick up a can for use on my M25, but I have heard some stories about nasty backpressures and resultant blowback. If anyone running a can would like to post their setup and any experiences, I would really appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
There are a number of threads already out there on this. Some youtube vids as well.

I have a few cans.

The more 'tech' and 'tactical' I get with my m14, the more trouble I have with them…from optic mounts, to fancy brass, you name it-it gives me just one more variable to jack something that works up.

If I need quiet…I will use my can on my 20" .308.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
copy that. I know how to use the search and google. Occasional refresher threads give folks the opportunity to post about recent experiences with newer gear.

I am building a 6.5 creedmoor ona dpms AR receiver and figure that to be my suppressed rifle as any backpressure would blow out to the side, but I'd love to be able to run my m1a/m14 platforms on the quiet side. THanks for the input.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'd like to pick up a can for use on my M25, but I have heard some stories about nasty backpressures and resultant blowback. If anyone running a can would like to post their setup and any experiences, I would really appreciate the feedback.
I ran a Specwar 7.62 w/ SEI threaded adapt on a 22" standard barrel m1a. Very quiet but REALLY annoying gas blowback. I had a schuster adjustable plug and scope to try and knock some of it down but it still became waaaay too much of a distraction for precision work. I pulled everything back off ASAP when I was developing bad shooting habits from all the anticipation. An m1a is more uncomfortable to shoot suppressed than an ar, at least for me. Didn't really leave it on long enough to comment on accuracy....

·
Registered
864 Posts
How do you quiet the supersonic crack ? Doesn't a can work best on a subsonic round ?
I think that was why the 300 Blackout was developed.
The 'crack' never completely goes away so you're correct sir. Sound is very subjective depending on where you're shooting from, how close someone else is, and the direction they are standing. You can manually cycle sub sonics but really, you just need a bolt gun for that not to mention keeping track of all the different zeroing for each can be another hassle.

Best way to compare it to is if you've ever heard guns in the distance going off like opening day of deer season.... You know exactly where, what direction, and if they connected 100's of yards away. If the wind and background noise is just right, 1000's of yds away.
In TX where it's legal to hunt deer with suppressors, well, you can't tell who's hunting anymore unless you're close enough to hear a 22lr.GI3

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
A can is best run with either a blank adapter or a scope mount. I'll eventually get a can and when I do, I'm going to run it with a Bassett and some foam rubber gasket material to seal up the daylight around the mount. This should reduce or eliminate the uncomfortable blowback.

Hamstrosity let me shoot his rifle with a can and it was very uncomfortable with no modifications. It was still fun though!

Tony.

·
Registered
864 Posts
A can is best run with either a blank adapter or a scope mount. I'll eventually get a can and when I do, I'm going to run it with a Bassett and some foam rubber gasket material to seal up the daylight around the mount. This should reduce or eliminate the uncomfortable blowback.

Hamstrosity let me shoot his rifle with a can and it was very uncomfortable with no modifications. It was still fun though!

Tony.
Now the foam is a very interesting idea indeed. Is that what Ham had in place? I thought of 100mph tape and similar but the foam pieces might work better.

You're right, shooting with cans is extremely fun!

-Josh

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
"it was very uncomfortable with no modifications" That is my experience too. Shot a few rounds, and put the can back on the bolt gun.

Not to mention, a can on a full tilt match gun is extremely heavy! Bench shooting only, for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ham had nothing in place. We shot with safety glasses. Very unpleasant. Skydiving glasses would have been more effective.

Tony.
Yeah, I was told full goggles are the way to go...

and maybe a balaclava at that

I'll need the 7.62 to run on my 6.5. I will have to give this a run and see what I can come up with for a solution. Thanks for the feedback from everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts