M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking I am wanting to get another 1911 and I believe I want the commander size. I have a full-size early model Kimber I have had close to twenty years, and I also have a compact Dan Wesson in 9mm. I am seriously looking at the Desert Eagle 1911C. Is anyone familiar with them and if so, what is your opinion? I know the slide to frame has very close tolerances and it is bushing less as is my Dan Wesson ECO. I would appreciate your informed thoughts especially if you have owned and shot one. Thanks in advance.

Registered
Commander length is my favorite length. It鈥檚 also my main carry pistol.

Real question you have to ask yourself is: How much do you want to spend? Or should I throw in鈥hat options are you looking for in the pistol?

I鈥檝e had and do have several 1911s. Colt WW2 fullsize GI issue, 1951 Colt LW commander, Sig Sauer (several different models but all commander length but my favorite that I use as a carry pistol鈥. Nighthawk Custom.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Real question you have to ask yourself is: How much do you want to spend?
That is a good point and one of the reasons I am considering the DE1911C. I can get it locally for around $899 before taxes. I am thinking that for what the firearm is that is a good price. Just hoping someone who is familiar with the firearm could provide some feedback before I make my final decision.

Any opinions on bushing or bushing less barrels?

Super Moderator
That is a good point and one of the reasons I am considering the DE1911C. I can get it locally for around $899 before taxes. I am thinking that for what the firearm is that is a good price. Just hoping someone who is familiar with the firearm could provide some feedback before I make my final decision.

Hmmm the silence should tell you something, don鈥檛 do it鈥︹.Stick with the well known big 1911 makers.

Registered

John browning designed it to have a barrel bushing so it better have one. And stay from that series 80 junk and full length guide rods.

Premium Member
Whats the story on full length guide rods?

Registered
I vote Pony. Although Dan Wesson and some of the high end guns are nice. However, a standard Colt with a little work (ambi safety -I am a lefty) will be just fine. I have seen to many reviews on Wilson's and other high end guns that are so tight that it took 500-1000 rounds to get them to cycle, I watched an Ed Brown video where the were hammering the slides on the frame (wood mallet) during the fitting process. You need a little room to make sure the thing functions on a combat gun.

Registered
That Desert Eagle is rock solid but just to let everyone know that Dan Wesson/CZ recently started selling the A2 again of which they supposedly made only 200 as a "limited edition" of which I got one. They also have "blems" up there now $1,149. but because I stared at it for a year wound up paying $1,400. two summers ago and had to scour around to get it then. More yes, but this A2 has a great stock trigger and is wicked accurate with nothing more heroic than S&B and WWB 230 gr. FMJ fat boys. This one goes to my boys and they can figure out who keeps it. Now I can sell me NIB Kimber Warrior and put it towards a Garand which I also should have bought when they were rea$onably priced. https://danwessonfirearmstore.com/dan-wesson-a2-5-45acp-parkerized-pistol-blem/. There haven't been any on Gunbroker for months but now there's 3 up there now. 2 Commanders one of which had 7 bids, Penny start > $1,700 buy now for the 5".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Desert Eagle is a series 70 not 80. My Dan Wesson ECO has a full length guide rod and is a terrific shooter.

Since making this post I did find and watched a couple of videos of folks shooting the Magnum Resarch Desert Eagle 1911C and listened to their reviews. I thought Hickock 45's video was pretty good.
Desert Eagle 1911C - YouTube

Registered
The Desert Eagle is a series 70 not 80. My Dan Wesson ECO has a full length guide rod and is a terrific shooter.

Since making this post I did find and watched a couple of videos of folks shooting the Magnum Resarch Desert Eagle 1911C and listened to their reviews. I thought Hickock 45's video was pretty good.
Desert Eagle 1911C - YouTube
Looking at the utoobe now. That C is nice. Wish I hadn't seen this plus get jealous every time I see that range he set up on his property. I think he only missed only twice just fooling around the rest all hits. The furthest I got to shot my A2 is 50 ft. so far.

Registered
I've owned Colts, (70's and 80s') Rugers , Rock island, and SAI. The most reliable for me that feeds hollow points, wadcutters, flat nose, and ball with zero jams has been the rock island armory. You can't beat it with a stick. I hate the pistol I don't clean it, oil it or anything I just shoot it, and it works 100%. The rugers have been the worst for me total duds. They choke up on everything.

Registered
1911's are like sex. Some are better than others , but they are wonderful. I have been watching this post and not replied because I have not handled the Desert Eagle. I have made some pretty junky 1911's run, but for me that is fun. Some people don't like to work on em.

Registered
My understanding is that the Desert Eagle pistols are simply rebranded Bul Armory pistols, from Israel. They seem to be similar to Kimbers in that some folks love them, and some hate them (Bul pistols). I honestly have heard very little about the Magnum Research versions (Desert Eagle).

Registered
OP said Desert Eagle has close tolerance fit. I have read that a little slop in the slide fit was beneficial to a combat pistol. Is that an urban myth or only justification of worn parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've owned Colts, (70's and 80s') Rugers , Rock island, and SAI. The most reliable for me that feeds hollow points, wadcutters, flat nose, and ball with zero jams has been the rock island armory. You can't beat it with a stick. I hate the pistol I don't clean it, oil it or anything I just shoot it, and it works 100%. The rugers have been the worst for me total duds. They choke up on everything.
I used to have a STI Spartan 3.5" in 9mm that was made by RIA under STI specs. It was a nice gun but had feed isues when using the lighter grain bullets. It ran fine with the heavier grain bullets. I no longer have it and moved on to a dfferent firearm.

I have read good reviews on the RIA's and may one day have another, but for now I am looking for something a bit more refined but would prefer to stay under $1000.

I think the videos I have watched of folks shooting the firearm have helped confirm my decision. Thank you for your responses to this thread.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts