M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an M1 Carbine to go with my Garand and M1A. I'm leery of buying one from some guy at a gun show who may not be telling me the truth about his clunker, and I don't know enough about them to know what to look for. So I'm leaning to buying one from a manufacturer. Three under consideration now:
1. Auto Ordinance for $670
2. James River Rockola for $1195
3. Fulton Armory Service Carbine for $1350.

I can afford any one of them no problem. More important is reasonable accuracy and rock solid reliability.

I understand the Auto Ordinance uses some non-USGI standard parts and reliability is probably questionable.

James River boasts forged receivers, and all USGI parts. I would expect accuracy and reliability at least to Mil-spec.

Fulton Armory claims USGI spec receiver, "National Match Quality" barrel, all USGI parts throughout, for about $150 more than the James River. Fulton offers extra cost upgrade to a chrome-lined barrel ($50), and a National Match Trigger mod ($65). They also guarantee 3 MOA accuracy - I believe with the standard barrel and trigger.

So, I guess either the James River or the Fulton is what I will end up with, but I am asking you guys with more knowledge for your suggestions and your reasons for one over the other.

I appreciate any and all input you may have.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Fulton Armory claims USGI spec receiver, "National Match Quality" barrel, all USGI parts throughout, for about $150 more than the James River. Fulton offers extra cost upgrade to a chrome-lined barrel ($50), and a National Match Trigger mod ($65). They also guarantee 3 MOA accuracy - I believe with the standard barrel and trigger.

I have no experience with James River, I shoot with someone that went with a Fulton and it is nice and shoots well. Fulton is awful proud of his rifles and pricing shows it. Also, I have talked with the Fulton people at the Camp Perry Nationals. If it were me I might look hard at the James River.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Why not buy a GI M1 Carbine???? For $1200 you could find a superb example.

To me, aftermarket carbines are not the same and will not hold value. I have a dozen or so GI carbines I've collected over the past decade. Buy a go and field gauge, muzzle gauge and a bore mirror and hit the gun shows. Best carbines are those on attendees backs looking for a sale. Look on local trader boards, bought several this way. Half of mine were CMP purchases, so you could try the CMP Forum. Get something there from a knowledgeable collector and get a piece of history in the process.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Buy some reference books like war baby and read up on originals
A usgi carbine is the way to go.
The Internet is handy but going to a shop or gun show with book in hand to cross reference and examine parts is the best way

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have

two carbines (M-1 .30 cal.) that I shoot regularly. One is a treasured "bring back" from the beaches of Guam and the other is a gun-show Paratrooper model (m1-a1 ?) that I bought for $650.00 . Both are the "real deal" USGI, American made in WWII (1943-1944). I am eternally grateful to the fellow that sold me the Carbine at the gunshow. I have shot it a lot and it is a hit with my fellow shooters when I take it out for a spin.
My advice is this;
1. Not all people are crooks and "out to screw you"
2. Nobody (imho) made them better than Uncle Sam's guys
3. You have the reason now to learn all you can about this weapon.
4. Caveat Emptor !

·
Registered
713 Posts
the best ones are US GI. one for sale on the forum now. find someone who knows about them & buy a real one. for the bucks ,1200 will get a really nice one that will hold it's value. hth.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have experience with Fulton Armory's Carbine. They are excellent. If I were looking for one I would look at JRA, but you cannot go wrong with Fulton.

·
Registered
518 Posts
GilaSlim---If you buy a Carbine other then a original USGI it cannot be used in a
CMP Match, Camp Perry for example (rule 5.2.1). For most people that would
be a non-issue because only 400-500 people use a M1 carbine at Camp Perry. I
know at least one Mfg. of "reproduction" M1 Carbines is trying to get that changed.
So, if you shoot in Competition you might want to look for a Inland, IBM, Irwin-
Peterson, National Postal Meter. Quality Hardware, Rock-Ola, Saginaw, Standard Prod., Underwood or Winchester.

Siefly

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just received a Springfield Armory with a Winchester bbl. It's been reliable so far, commercial but seems solid
I'd love to see photos of that. My understanding is they are quite rare and made with USGI parts.

OP, go USGI. Whatever you end up getting it will quickly become a favorite. They are a blast to shoot and reek of history.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If you want to network about carbines, hang out on the CMP Forum.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have an excellent Winchester carbine that was reparked and looks brand new. Shoots excellently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts