M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy one of these rifles. The green laminate stock rifle is a "armscorp of america baltimore maryland" 0074xx serial number. Bolt is unknown make.

The brown rifle is "armscorp of america baltimore maryland" A0064nn serial number. Bolt is HRT.

I think they both have NM sights.

Both are going to be about the same price and both have about the same round count. Any reason for choosing one over the other?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Interesting that the handgaurds look as if they been swapped or maybe the stocks were swapped and the orig handgaurd stayed with the barrel. Just cosmetic but, to me, the brown HG would go well with the walnut and the black HG would match with the green laminate.

Either way, the receiver fit to the stock would be what I would go by. Tight is good. Ferrul pressure on the front band is good. I've learned the trigger gaurd cam force should be strong too. Those are just a few to look for if the seller will let you play a little. If they will let you dig a bit, check out gas cylinder and op rod clearances and do all the tilt tests. One of the rifles may have a magic feel.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
You want opinions, here goes. I like the looks of the 2nd one, it's more to the standard military look. I don't like any bolt that l cannot identify, so I would go with the HRT. There really isn't much information to go on here, so that's my take. +1 on everything that SmokyBaer posted regarding a good 'once over' if possible. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
+1 on the above except I would take it further, I would insist on swapping the handguards and a complete breakdown of both rifles and parts inspection with the owner. If he wants to sell he will have no problem with this. If he is shy about it, he is trying to hide something. If he says he don't want to break em down because they are bedded....run away !! ...Pick the one with best G.I. parts and barrel rifling. And big plus one on checking receiver, not only for stock fitment, because that can be easily fixed with another stock ( which are cheap) but a receiver can't.....Rawnerves is right, so far with info we have, the HR bolt rifle wins, because the chances all parts are G.I. is pretty good. I went through several Armscorps the other day and all had TRW parts throughout except one had HRT bolt and HRN trigger group with TRW barrel and TRW op rod.....I hate Doc, he is so lucky DI5

·
Registered
406 Posts
+1 on the above except I would take it further, I would insist on swapping the handguards and a complete breakdown of both rifles and parts inspection with the owner. If he wants to sell he will have no problem with this. If he is shy about it, he is trying to hide something. If he says he don't want to break em down because they are bedded....run away !! ...Pick the one with best G.I. parts and barrel rifling. And big plus one on checking receiver, not only for stock fitment, because that can be easily fixed with another stock ( which are cheap) but a receiver can't.....Rawnerves is right, so far with info we have, the HR bolt rifle wins, because the chances all parts are G.I. is pretty good. I went through several Armscorps the other day and all had TRW parts throughout except one had HRT bolt and HRN trigger group with TRW barrel and TRW op rod.....I hate Doc, he is so lucky DI5
1+ for what ripsaw said. And that's all I got to say about that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looked them over and they both have hrt bolts and the oprods are hra. Brown has hra trigger group and green has a trw group. I was not able to identify the maker of the barrels.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
They both look & sound good. I guess it comes down to the toss of a coin.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well, with your new information I would now go with the Brown. Why you say: HR bolt, HR op rod, HR trigger group. You have very close to a pure bred HR rifle. Small detail but pure breds have a certain aura about them, good for resale and such. With a few finishing touches the Brown would be right there. Also I think if you took a poll the Brown is more conventional and would score higher in the looks department. That's just what goes on in my sick brain. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Looks like both Rifles have Boyd Stocks on them!

·
Registered
824 Posts
From your question it seems you are asking which receiver is the better one. I would look at Different's latest book to see if their is any information on when each was made and if there was any problems with receivers in each serial number range. I have heard that the company went through several different times when problems arose, the serial numbers of these times would be the critical issue. The receiver is the rifle, from it everything else takes it's place. Seems that both have USGI parts to them. Looks and stocks are meaningless as both can be changed out for a few dollars.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
From your question it seems you are asking which receiver is the better one. I would look at Different's latest book to see if their is any information on when each was made and if there was any problems with receivers in each serial number range. I have heard that the company went through several different times when problems arose, the serial numbers of these times would be the critical issue. The receiver is the rifle, from it everything else takes it's place. Seems that both have USGI parts to them. Looks and stocks are meaningless as both can be changed out for a few dollars.
Greta advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts