M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Supply and Demand in action. Remington Arms went bankrupt a couple of years ago and was liquidated - there will never be any more of those M40 commeratives made, so supply will stay at zero forever, but demand apparently still exists....

I understand only 1200 of these M40 commeratives were made back then as a limited edition. I also recall one for sale locally in 2007 for $1200. No scope or mount, but it seemed interesting, esp with the special box with artwork. Came back to that store a few days later and it was gone. So there has been ZERO supply for 15 years (aside from the 130 Chuck Mawhinney M40 replicas that came about maybe 7 or 8 or so years ago). Someone put a proper repo scope and mount on it, and made a large profit - as DEMAND for that old USMC sniper rifle still exists, but again, supply for that particular rifle is zero. This pattern has played out a lot in this hobby (including the price of many M14 parts).

As for the auction M40 replica, of course one could easily build a far more accurate and far more capable rifle for $5k these days, but it would lack the 'history' or 'nostalgia' of the old wood-stocked M40s w/ primitive 3-9x scopes from the 1960s-70s era. I'll never be able to afford a real, documented M40, but I don't think I could sell my replica either. Indeed, it took 4 or 5 years and quite a lot of time and effort (and some polite begging to get that middle M40A1 'return stock') to complete my little trilogy of replica USMC sniper rifles. So, as Ren noted, value is the eye of the beholder.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

...supply and demand is a funny thing...and timing really does matter in this hobby. Some items I bought years ago at relatively decent prices are simply no longer affordable for my budget. (My M40 replica was purchased for $2400 complete with the scope and mount in the spring of 2016, but today it would require 2x more coin).

Lastly, I will note that the other part of my equation is that I live about an hr away from the USMC base at Quantico, and the Quantico Shooting Club typically holds a 'vintage precision rifle match' twice per year where these M40 type replicas are utilized in friendly competition. That is sort-of why I bought my M40 replica years ago. I am lucky as its the only place to shoot locally out to 300, 600, 800 & 1000 yds with these old platforms. It has made a dent in the wallet over the years, but it's fun.
Plant Automotive tire Sky Motor vehicle Tree

Premium Member
Nice thing is that we all have opinions. Having shot a number of M40s, I have formed my own. I love the Rem 700 for what it is and they can be very accurate if properly done. These were not particularly well done as anyone that has held one can attest. They do make great safe queens for the type of person that enjoys that route. Photo is of me shooting Hawk's M40 tribute which is much closer to the real deal than the ones Remington put out in 2006. Whatta Hobby!

Plant Air gun Tree Shotgun Gun barrel

Registered
But........it's a repro!
Yes, the real ones are very scarce. CMP has auctioned a couple that were likely an Air Force M40s from the 1968-1969 era (not a USMC M40 from the 1966 order) - but a real one sells for way above my paygrade. (I suspect less than one dozen documented/real M40s are in private collections)
...this one was a relative 'bargain' (I suppose) for a real late-model M40 at only $13k:

Registered
Some people thought I was nuts when I bought one of the reissue M24s that were for sale a couple years back. I wanted one, and I'm glad I got one that I can shoot and enjoy without having to worry too much about it's collector value. It's not like there are going to be any more made now, unless you have one built aftermarket. So at least I can say I have real-deal Remington M24. All others are just clones.

Office equipment Gas Trigger Gun accessory Cylinder

Premium Member
Stuff is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it.
Actual worth or established value and what some foolish one time buyer might be willing to pay for an item are not necessarily equal. Just look at what some of the items on CMP auctions go for as one good example of foolish buyers competing against each other because they can't stand the thought of someone else taking ownership. Price stuff sells for at some auctions can be far from it's actual value.

Registered
The value of anything is set by the customer who sees value or lack of in the object being sold. There are many factors which influence a potential buyers perspective.

1. Affluence
2. Knowledge or lack of
3. Emotional investment or attachment
4. Status
5. Collector
6. etc.

Buyer types

Many here are older and have been shooting and collecting firearms for quite a while, remembering back when things were much less expensive, they are the ones who tend to believe things are overpriced. 鈥淚 can remember buying trigger groups for $50 dollars,鈥 not really relevant to todays market!

I could sit here and write a dissertation on this subject, why does one see value where others do not.

Anyway, I think most here will get it.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN馃嚭馃嚫
REN, you have nailed this. The guys that I call old farts that have been doing this before the CMP tell stories about getting a complete M1A kit less receiver for $200 dollars... NOT NOW !!! Heck I remember buying my first 1970 Camaro SS for 3600.00 off the show room floor, now they sell at auction for Ninety yes 90,000.00 for one like I had.. Go figure,,, Time stands still for no man.. LOL.. Not trying to start a kicking contest, just saying.

Carry On !!

Registered
Actual worth or established value and what some foolish one time buyer might be willing to pay for an item are not necessarily equal. Just look at what some of the items on CMP auctions go for as one good example of foolish buyers competing against each other because they can't stand the thought of someone else taking ownership. Price stuff sells for at some auctions can be far from it's actual value.
Art, you are quite right. Being of limited income these days, and trying to build a complete platform, and finding the one part that you need to complete it at auction is hard. I've been on that end here lately trying to complete my build.. Set a limit and stuck to it . Have lost a few to the fever you speak of. People with more money than brains.... But I finally got what I needed, now just waiting for the builder to do his job.. Did I pay more than I wanted to hell yes,, but I'll have my build the way I want it..

Carry On !!

Registered
I'd understand if it was an original M40 from that era unfired, but a made up commemorative model, no way. That's like buying an overpriced John Wayne commemorative lever action from Winchester years ago. People said it would be a great investment, only to find out they're only worth what a new standard rifle would cost. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Registered
Just look at what some of the items on CMP auctions go for as one good example of foolish buyers competing against each other because they can't stand the thought of someone else taking ownership. Price stuff sells for at some auctions can be far from it's actual value.
I agree, and I have never purchased anything from their auction site, as the final prices are just silly (and I'm just not that wealthy). That said, it's about the only place that a real M40 (or real XM-3) might pop-up for sale, outside of an obscure estate sale of a former USMC officer of some repute who might have been gifted one back in the 1970s upon their retirement. (ie, Culver's M40 comes to mind). My repo M40 is just fine with me...and of course I can shoot it without any guilt.

Registered
I agree, and I have never purchased anything from their auction site, as the final prices are just silly (and I'm just not that wealthy). That said, it's about the only place that a real M40 (or real XM-3) might pop-up for sale, outside of an obscure estate sale of a former USMC officer of some repute who might have been gifted one back in the 1970s upon their retirement. (ie, Culver's M40 comes to mind). My repo M40 is just fine with me...and of course I can shoot it without any guilt.
Come on RG,,, Now I feel bad LOL.. I drank the cool aid one time... and survived, but no more!!!

Carry On !!

Registered
Their money their business, if they're happy then I'm happy for them. Who's to say we're not nuts for the money some of us spend to trying to replicate this or that version of an M14. Some would gladly spend $70,000+ for a new diesel pickup, I think it insane to spend over half of what my house cost on a truck. Carry on gentlemen.

Registered
Gentlemen, some of you deny that the value of an item is what someone is willing to pay for that item. The only relevant fact is what the buyer was willing to pay at that point in time. Those who are willing to vote with their money are the only ones who influence value. Value does change with time. Once a buyer鈥檚 desire to purchase has been satisfied, the next transition is a new ballgame.

Registered
Their money their business, if they're happy then I'm happy for them. Who's to say we're not nuts for the money some of us spend to trying to replicate this or that version of an M14. Some would gladly spend $70,000+ for a new diesel pickup, I think it insane to spend over half of what my house cost on a truck. Carry on gentlemen.
And that is exactly my point which fell on one deaf ear, the guy just can鈥檛 see further than his nose, saying it was stupid to buy that reproduced M40, but the fact is he is trying to tell folks how to spend their money!

If a guy wants to spend his money on a WHATEVER, its his business!
Just because a person can鈥檛 see the value doesn鈥檛 mean its not there. We may not choose to spend our money that way, but that doesn鈥檛 make it wrong!

I have a very close friend who recently spent $3000 on golf clubs, ya I know stupid right? Wrong! Stupid for me, I hate golf. But this guy makes $25,000 every month! Now lets consider someone who is lucky if they make a thousand a month and they choose to spend $3000 on golf clubs. Yea it sounds dumb until we find out a bit more about that person, who as it turns out is playing golf on the collegiate level and wants to take their game to the next level.

Oh and that guy who just spent $90,000 on a truck and lives in a trailer, boy that guy sounds like a real looser, until we find out he bought the truck to pull his trailer around the country so he can live the dream he鈥檚 had for years, to see the good old U.S. of A!

About 40 years ago I made the mistake of saying $84,000 dollars was a lot of money to make in a years time in front of my godfather, his retort, 鈥渢hat would be one hell of a pay cut for me!鈥

If buying that rifle made the buyer happy, pleased, satisfied, who am I to judge him, it wasn鈥檛 my money being spent.

Only those who have a dog in the hunt get to vote鈥eriod!

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Absolutely! More than I would pay, but the buyer felt it was worth it, so to him its worth 5K.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts