M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
No way is that thing worth that. Oh well. Congrats to the seller.

I had a Remington model 30. Nice rifle. 1917 actions are hard to beat.

Reactions: nf1e

· Registered
12,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. Remington submitted the cheaper to make 700 when the USMC was looking to replace the properly built pre-64 Model 70. Winchester had also turned to cranking out cheap crap by then, but they only produced long actions, which the USMC wasn't interested in.
All of which has nothing to do with the current value of an M40 which was only made with Model 700 actions. It would be one thing if they were made with various actions, but they weren't.(y)

· Registered
1,836 Posts
The seller is a store in Ashland VA called Green Top. We have an office there that I used to visit every other month very close to the store. They always had a ton of great stuff. Once they had a collection of about 20 Japanese pistols and on another visit they had 3 consecutive serial number H&R Garands that were pristine. Great store.

· Registered
240 Posts
Reactions: WaM14gunner

· Registered
9,875 Posts
The value of anything is set by the customer who sees value or lack of in the object being sold. There are many factors which influence a potential buyers perspective.

1. Affluence
2. Knowledge or lack of
3. Emotional investment or attachment
4. Status
5. Collector
6. etc.

Buyer types

Many here are older and have been shooting and collecting firearms for quite a while, remembering back when things were much less expensive, they are the ones who tend to believe things are overpriced. “I can remember buying trigger groups for $50 dollars,“ not really relevant to todays market!

I could sit here and write a dissertation on this subject, why does one see value where others do not.

Anyway, I think most here will get it.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN🇺🇸

1 - 20 of 48 Posts