M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are over 1500 islands in the Florida Keys that are not connected with bridges, commercial power, etc. But about 500 of them are now occupied.

The islands are coral so digging into them is not impossible but extremely expensive just to even get holes for footers.

So how are they setting the homes up? Solar panels for electric & a small generator for backup. Rain catch systems & 12VDC pumps to move the water. Including elevated holding tanks for showers. Some even go excessive using LP hot water tanks like in RVs.

99% of the island homes use composting toilets. If you want a flushing toilet it requires a holding tank & a barge to come out & empty when its full.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If the soil is that hard to dig in, what about farming? How is tree coverage for firewood?

And you have those pesky hurricanes to worry about...never did understand why people would rebuild a house in the same spot it was destroyed before, especially when it's something that happens yearly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Risky, but definitely a way to achieve near total isolation.

Also, unless strictly managed, food and wood (fuel) supply would be very finite depending on the size of the island.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The only reason you'd need wood would be for cooking purposes since the Keys are so far South that all you might need is a little suplemental heat. Which could be achieved by putting back a supply of propane gas. But like others have said, the negatives far out weigh any benefits that locating your retreat in such an area might provide.

7th

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
As far south as the Keys I'm willing to be a solar oven would take care of most of your cooking needs.
You would also have a never ending supply of salt for preservation.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would also have a never ending supply of salt for preservation.
Really is NO. Though sea water has salt it is so contaminated its not useable for human consumption. Its the contaminated salt that will kill you from drinking sea water.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
About 10 miles from me is the Honey Island Swamp (most untouched River swamp system in the U.S.) and 100 miles west is the Atchafalaya Swamp (Largest River Swamp system in the U.S.). There is still land available for private purchase with no road access in both systems (Islands).

If you're a hearty self-sufficient type, not squeamish in your diet and can stand the mosquitoes. I promise you will never go hungry in the swamp, and ain't too many people coming to visit you.... if they do just use the Triple-S method (Shoot Shovel Shut-up) in dealing with the un-invited.

I have my eye on a 20 acre tract in the Honey Island area... but would rather be in the Atchafalaya system. The wife wants something on higher ground... so far I've been out voted.

Reactions: XXXMarine

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
makes a good point.

how often are these islands totally underwater?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Really is NO. Though sea water has salt it is so contaminated its not useable for human consumption. Its the contaminated salt that will kill you from drinking sea water.
what is it contaminated by?

would solar power provide enough energy for distilation and purification of the water and its salts?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Of course a river swamp has all the fresh water you can stand. However any housing would have to be built about 15 foot up to avoid spring flooding. Many people build floating houses then tow and anchor them in place.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My understanding is that drinking only sea water leads to death by dehydration since the high salt-content of water leads to reverse osmosis in one's kidneys, causing a net transference of water from from the body to urine.

Contamination plays no role, in fact there are many places in the world that manufacture salt from sea water and sea-salt is considered by some foodies to be preferable.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sea salt is actually from salt blocks on the ocean floor.

For places that have reverse osmosis plants to get fresh water they sometimes have some type of UV purification system for the salt.

As far as homes secured from fooding, some are 15-20 up on stilts. Some use house boats. And there is also the type house boat like in the Netherlands that it is secured to posts & moves up & down on the posts with the water level.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's my thought about a swamp house boat. If going large,take the materials to the site & build it there. In other words, build it on site. Plastic & aluminum are your friends in humid climates.

Whatever size you are going to build the house build a screened in deck the same size. Have them two separate units bolted together. So if you need to move it you can move half at a time.

Composting toilet just to eliminate problems. Rain collection & purification system. Solar panels & more solar panels.

I would take one room & well insulate it like a bedroom & small AC. Dehumidifier would make a difference in the rest of the house.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
more info

watch out for the swamp monster/ bigfoot back in honey island !

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-GOleG1es[/ame]

·
Registered
847 Posts
IMO, you'd have to get real creative. Any wood you find, you'd want for shelter. A Fresnel lens ( out of a projection TV) would cook anything( or melt it). Anyone felt how hot water is coming out of a hose that's been laying out in the sun could see solar heating with garden hoses real easy. A large cheap solar still would be beneficial.

I'd say fresh water would be the weakest link. Not to mention how long one could stand salt bombardment.

Another thing overlooked is wind generation, as there's a constant wind there, too.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Pardon the pun but a "swamp cooler" might be the ticket instead of an AC unit. While evaporative coolers are not very efficient in 100% humidity it would easy to cobble one together or a variation on Geo-Thermal (coils of tubing submerged in cool river water) I think powering something like this is possible with only solar.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, rig up a true swamp cooler. Garden hose with 12VDC pump drawing water from as deep as possible as that is the coolest. Then some copper tubing rigged for a 12VDC fan to blow over it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts