·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
GI9

I remember when Amherst Arms had NIW TRW bolts for $35.00 in Shotgun News...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yikes! Back to The Future

Oh well.............those were the days.GI4

If only we can turn back time and buy those M14 parts at those prices again...........Fat chance I say.DI5

GI3

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
I wish I would have thought about it when I was a kid. I wanted one of these since I was 14 and that was in 78, I would have spent all my paper route money on parts.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GI9

I remember when Amherst Arms had NIW TRW bolts for $35.00 in Shotgun News...
Yea! I know, these New Guys to the 14 probably think that us Old Timers are full of it or exaggerating about the Cost of Parts back then, but We are not, below is an Amherst Flyer from about 1996 or 7 and I am willing to bet that they paid about $2 or $5 at most for a stripped Bolt!ICONWINK

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
What was I thinking back then? I thougt these adds were from the 70's. A day late and a dollar short. I can only imagine the profit those guys are making when they bought the stuff by the pound. Better investment than any stock market

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Trung Si......

You forgot the link for the rust inhibitor........I have visions of keyboards freezing up, keys popping off and a big bolt of lightening coming down and frying computers and blinding whoever sees those adsdance2dance2dance2dance2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
CMP's parts list was late '90's, not that long ago. You could even specify by manufacturer and you got it if CMP had it.

·
Administrator
18,142 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Trung Si,

The paper from the CMP is dated just 13 years ago. How time fly's and the cost more than triples...DI5

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I remember NIW USGI M14 mags for $7 each and more off if you bought 10 or 100.............sigh. I was kicking myself during the AWB.......................

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember NIW USGI M14 mags for $7 each and more off if you bought 10 or 100.............sigh. I was kicking myself during the AWB.......................
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, in the very early 90s I had upwards of 150 USGI magazines, I sold about 50 or so to a few Guys at Our Club that got Norinco and Poly M14s for $2 a piece,after all these Years It still upsets me to even think about it!ICONCRY

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, in the very early 90s I had upwards of 150 USGI magazines, I sold about 50 or so to a few Guys at Our Club that got Norinco and Poly M14s for $2 a piece,after all these Years It still upsets me to even think about it!ICONCRY
About the cheapest I can remember magazines was $5.00 ea. but I believe they were NIW IIRC.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
That was Well Before My Addiction Whoops I meant Time
As always it is what it is "Expensive"
As of Late I have Cried to Much so no more Tears

·
Registered
308 Posts
The sad part for me was I did not even know about CMP back then...I was at Ft Rucker from 94 to 98. To think I could have just walked into the CMP store and got what I needed... But then it was pre addiction for me...GI4

·
Registered
623 Posts
quick question

So according to these flyers,I could have built a rifle,assuming I could find a barrel,stock and flash suppressor for around $300,$250 worth of parts from CMP,$200 or so to an armorer ,plus reciever(about how much?) we'll say $200 for reciever until someone corrects me.

$950.00 in 93? Prob .$150 less in 88(when I was 18)
Please correct me if Im off a little

·
Registered
406 Posts
So according to these flyers,I could have built a rifle,assuming I could find a barrel,stock and flash suppressor for around $300,$250 worth of parts from CMP,$200 or so to an armorer ,plus reciever(about how much?) we'll say $200 for reciever until someone corrects me.

$950.00 in 93? Prob .$150 less in 88(when I was 18)
Please correct me if Im off a little
I think the first one I built was about 200.00 for the reciever back in the early 80's. You could call SA, Inc. and speak with the Reese boys direct. Later they went to 210.00 when I went back to get another one. And the first barrel I had installed by a gunsmith before I got into doing it myself cost $25.00. I remember putting her together one piece at a time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can't even imagine building an M14 for a few hundred bucks. Granted I was in eighth grade then. But compared to what I paid for my SAI standard during election frenzy '08 it makes my stomach turn and my heart flutter to think of one that cheap.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gave just short of $700 for the Rifle on the Right in 1990, but that was before Match Conditioning,the one on the Left in 1996 Please Don't Ask! ICONCRY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts