M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I've always admired the M1A/M14 but only just recently was able to start setting $$$ aside to purchase one. Pretty crappy timing on my part as most stuff is sold out all over the state. Looking for some advise from some folks more familiar than I am with the subject. I have the opportunity to purchase an older SA M1A that is on consignment at a local shop. it is serial # 19XXX putting it in the early eighties or late seventies as far as production date (I think). It is pretty pricey as most "assault" rifles are currently, but I don't know anything about the production values of the rifle at that time. is it liable to be a forged/cast receiver? other things I might want to consider? Should I just get on the waiting list for a current production Scout Squad and take my chances? any thoughts and advise would be much appreciated. I am hoping to really learn quite a bit about these rifles in the next few years, but probably need to obtain one first. Again thanks!

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
The older SAI rifles are held in high regard because they usually have so many USGI parts as opposed to commercial parts. That rifle will bring a higher price in the market anytime. It will have a cast receiver. Cast vs forged is a long standing argument here. Look in the M14 section and you'll find a sticky on it there. We don't even discuss it on the forum any longer. My Springfield has a cast receiver and I'd buy it again. Some of these receivers have outlasted three barrels.

Here are some videos to help you learn about the rifle:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos

And

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZIK9ft_3U[/ame]

Wish you luck!

Reactions: majorgrizz

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
Great decision in registering here and most definite you came to the right place to learn more about the M14 battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her, welcome on board and enjoy the site and post often majorgrizz.

DI5

Reactions: majorgrizz

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome. Plenty of good info here. Try to get as much history on the rifle before you decide it's value to you.
Where in Az are you? I wouldn't be surprised if you there are members close to you that would be willing to take a look at the rifle with you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a good starting point

I think I am going to try and get a new SA Scout through the local shop and wait it out. seems like a good place to start for learning my way around a M1A. just not sure I feel comfortable making an adequate judgement on the quality of an older weapon until I am more familiar with the M1A overall. not to mention that it would be a big $$$ gamble that the older rifle wasn't going to cost me more to make repairs I couldn't recognize were needed. Thanks all for the encouragement and advice. I look forward to continuing my M14 adventure and borrowing Ya'lls wisdom often.GI2

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome. Plenty of good info here. Try to get as much history on the rifle before you decide it's value to you.
Where in Az are you? I wouldn't be surprised if you there are members close to you that would be willing to take a look at the rifle with you.
I am in Southern AZ just SE of Tucson. Don't know if there are other folks from this neck of the woods (Desert) on the forums or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. plenty of shooters about. The consignment rifle I mentioned before is at Diamondback Police supply in Tucson and the asking price is $2500. Cursing my own timing as I probably could have got into a M1A for about $1000 less 3 months ago. ugh!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much do they want for it?
$2500 for the Early eighties SA M1A. still waiting to hear with what they plan to charge for a new SA on order. Have gun shops in your area increased their prices on new from factory weapons? Tucson is usually an area where you can buy new for under msrp. not sure what to expect in the current climate though.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If the preban is well taken care of, and has USGI parts, then $2500 is a fair price. Not good, but fair. SAI has a lifetime warranty, so you would really only have to worry about wear. If it has a wood stock, lots of dings to the stock would signify lots of use. You want the ME and TE measurements. Shop should be able to provide. Check for rust or pitting on the receiver, op rod, trigger group, bolt, and barrel. Any rust or pitting needs a more thorough look over from someone more familiar with the function of an M1a.
The reason I mentioned the above is because if you buy a new Scout today, and are active with it, you will find yourself upgrading some of the moving parts to USGI parts. Buying those parts can eat up the $500 difference fast.
Many of us have preban(older) M1As from the timeframe you mention. Many were purchased second-hand, and most function better than a new SAI. If I were in your neck of the woods I would be happy to help, because if the preban is clean it is a better buy than the new one. Don't forget to negotiate. If clean, I would offer $2k to start and go up to $2300, and only pay full price if they threw in 200-300 of decent ammo. What's decent? Go to post #4:
http://m14forum.com/ammunition/99522-ammo-questions.html

Good Luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the preban is well taken care of, and has USGI parts, then $2500 is a fair price. Not good, but fair. SAI has a lifetime warranty, so you would really only have to worry about wear. If it has a wood stock, lots of dings to the stock would signify lots of use. You want the ME and TE measurements. Shop should be able to provide. Check for rust or pitting on the receiver, op rod, trigger group, bolt, and barrel. Any rust or pitting needs a more thorough look over from someone more familiar with the function of an M1a.
The reason I mentioned the above is because if you buy a new Scout today, and are active with it, you will find yourself upgrading some of the moving parts to USGI parts. Buying those parts can eat up the $500 difference fast.
Many of us have preban(older) M1As from the timeframe you mention. Many were purchased second-hand, and most function better than a new SAI. If I were in your neck of the woods I would be happy to help, because if the preban is clean it is a better buy than the new one. Don't forget to negotiate. If clean, I would offer $2k to start and go up to $2300, and only pay full price if they threw in 200-300 of decent ammo. What's decent? Go to post #4:
http://m14forum.com/ammunition/99522-ammo-questions.html

Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice. I'll risk sounding dumb and ask what the ME and TE measurements are? Didn't see any rust on first look over, and barrel looked clean, but how do I tell what parts are GI verses not? It had a walnut stock with some sort of relatively shiny synthetic (plastic? fiberglass?) upper forend.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll risk sounding dumb and ask what the ME and TE measurements are? Didn't see any rust on first look over, and barrel looked clean, but how do I tell what parts are GI verses not? It had a walnut stock with some sort of relatively shiny synthetic (plastic? fiberglass?) upper forend.
Muzzle Erosion and Throat Erosion.
Identifying USGI parts:
http://m14forum.com/m14/60667-how-tell-usgi-parts.html

"upper forend" is a hand guard.
These two books are a must, order them now:
1. The M14 Owners Guide, by Scott A. Duff and John M. Miller
2. The M14 Complete Assembly Guide Volume II, by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
what measurements would be within Acceptable tolerances for the Muzzle and Throat erosion?
I have never shot out a barrel, so anything I say would not be from personal experience. Maybe one of the Armorers here, or even some of the competition shooters can chime in. ME and TE will tell you the condition of the barrel, and in most cases the rest of the rifle will be in the same shape. Do a search here, and you'll find info.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.