M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized recently it has been a while since I shot my M1A's. Over a year in fact. I am not sure why because I do get to the range to do handgun but not rifle for a long time. I find rifle just takes longer to set up and prep then handgun. I can open the safe, grab a handgun, grab some ammo and go to the range and blast. Back home drop the handgun in the ultrasonic and by the time I have logged in the shooting it is done and we are ready to go. Rifle just takes time to grab the gear, setup at the bench, get home to clean and pack away.

Back in Midland (TX) I used to belong to a private range and there I shot my M1A's a lot. I used to buy bullets in 2000 round boxes since I was shooting them so much. The private range was easy to get to, easy to shoot at and easy to pick up my brass. I would practice all the positions and just let the brass fly since I could pick it up at the end. Here in Houston, the public range is very regimented. Off the bench. They frown when you go prone or sitting and kneeling/standing is forbidden. I guess on retrospect that is what has discouraged me from shooting more. Off the bench with the M1A is just not as satisfying as shooting positions with one.

I have no intention of getting rid of my several M1A's. I only have 3 more years till I can retire and at most 8 till I must retire so the end is in sight. Once I retire, I figure out of Houston, get a place I can shoot on my own land and then I will shoot the rifles more since I don't have to go anywhere to do it.

But, in the meantime, do you all find that you go long blocks of time without shooting your M1A's or is it more routine?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I find that I go a few months at most. Mostly during the winter. I will only shoot on weekdays at or local range. It is a non stuctured range and the people who are there at the time must do all the saftey duty.

It has concrete benches and measured distances as well as a head. ( bathroom facility).

It is a lot of work to get the targets out and ready to go, but I have encountered worse ranges.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I try for every weekend but more like once or twice every 2 months

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have not fired my M1A ( or anything for that matter ) since before Thanksgiving.

The guys that I shoot with have all been unable to get together since then, and I prefer not to shoot alone.

But that is going to be remedied in about a week! ( as he flexes his right trigger finger ... GI2 )

·
Registered
325 Posts
I generally don't go much at all during the winter, then I get out of the habit and don't go much during the summer. All of a sudden it's been a year and I freak out and go no matter what. For a couple weeks. Then I start over. :)

We do have a good range. Shoot any way you want so long as you are safe, no range master generally on premises so the people out shooting are responsible for safety and cleanup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I generally shoot once a week, sometimes twice. It just depends on what I am doing as to what I shoot? The Garand if I am getting ready to shoot a match, bolt guns for fine tuning equipment, or M1A for load development and preparing for a Highpower match. I love 'em all! Now I just need this knee to heal and I'll be out there banging away!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I shoot every week, sometimes two to three days a week, but lately have been firing one of my M1's more than anything else. May have been a month since I have shot one of my LRB's.

I really don't care how cold it gets, last week with the wind chill down to about 10F, I fired for almost three hours at 300 yards for three different days....I take the weather as a challenge, and I don't stay in the house very much.

I have my own range, that's why I shoot so much.GI6

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
It's been over a Year for me due to my Job, Health and Family restraints,It's a shame since I only live 36 Miles from my Home Range, where I am on the Board of Directors and can use it 7/365, I have also not shot in a Match for over two Years!ICONCRY

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Ya'll have at it ...

I'm saving my ammo for when it will be needed the most ...

I've never had a problem hitting what I 'point' at (and no ... I am not claiming to be a hole in a hole shooter) so don't tell me I need to practice ...

With the way this world is going it won't be long before what you see on tv will be right here in your own front yard ...

Besides ... I can't afford to replace what I would burn up on paper, dirt mounds or cans ...

Six

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I have a NIB circa 1994 SAI M-1A that I have never fired. It has hung on the wall of my gun room since the day I bought it. I have a couple of M-14/S rifles that I shoot frequently. I sold a Maunz M14 N/M with an unlined barrel just before the ban and used the proceeds to buy the chrome lined barrel M-1A. This was because I wanted a rifle with a chrome lined barrel that would last longer than the N/M barrel. I'd bought up a great deal of milsurp Portugese 7.62 NATO and I decided that I needed a rifle with a chrome lined bore for increased longevity. But for some reason I never got around to shooting the M-1A. I guess it was because I'd bought two H&R M-14's and a TRW M-14 for my PD under the Feds 1033 program and I had them to play with on the range up until I retired in 04.

I have my own 100 yard range so having a place to shoot is not an issue for me. I built the range for my police department to qualify and train on, back in the mid 80s when I returned from FBI police firearms instructor school.

We have a 100 yard riffle and 50 yard pistol range available on my property. The tractor work on the range was donated by a shooting buddy, who was at the time in the heavy equipment business. He even paid to have a 10x10 concrete pad poured at the 100 yard line for our SWAT team to sight in their Styer SSG sniper rifles.

7th

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I shoot at least one of my 3 every 2 weeks. I try for every weekend but am currently working loads for several other rifles. In the Summer I shoot every weekend and during the week if possible. Today was M-39 and 1903a4 day.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

·
Administrator
18,163 Posts
Three or four weeks in the past ten years.DI5

·
Registered
346 Posts
Gone for four years recently. Went back to trap and skeet as when I was younger I shot this stuff competitvely. Got bored with that as I got too good too soon after many years of not shooting this disiplin and then went to bolt rifles for 1000 yard target. Broke out the M1A out last year for about 100 rounds then put it back away because it cant come even close to what my bolt riifles can do at 100 yards. I got addicted to holes in holes @ 100 without trying too much. See below.

View attachment 9246

.300 Win. Mag. 100 yard zero here. I can do this all day long with this 1000 yard target rifle and I don't even use it much anymore for this endevour. Gone to 6.5 Creedmore, which is even tighter groups.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its been about two months and snow or no snow I'm ready to go out to the range ,winter is too long in wny. To each his own I had a weatherby sub moa 308 bolt and I loved it but this is good enough for me at 100 yds,I love my LRB more.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I shoot on average every two weeks in the winter. Usually every week in the summer for rifle. Handgun 2 nights a week in a league. Here in WNY its snowed every day.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I usually shoot 2 or 3 times a month.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I'm fortunate, I can go out back whenever I want. The only constraint I have is the cost of ammo. I probably average once every two weeks. That doesn't count the time I spend looking for coyotes and they haven't been cooperating with me. GI4

1 - 20 of 39 Posts