M14 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bha aon leth de theaghlach na mnatha a ’bruidhinn Gàidhlig na h-Alba cha mhòr a-mhàin. Tha mi ga thuigsinn nas fheàrr na bhith ga bruidhinn. Tha croit aig an teaghlach fhathast air an Eilean Sgitheanach.
Well, before we confuse everyone further, I admit I had to cheat and use a translator. I recognized your post immediately as either Irish Gaeilge or Scots Gaelic. And I could not translate either myself, I am just familiar with the look and a bit of the sound. If it would not appear like a thread hijack, I'd have kept going, lol. I have to dig back a few generations, but have either or both in my family. Never could confirm which side of the Irish sea they came from, given a surname that would fit on both. First generation born here is pre Civil War.

Anyway.... hopefully our new Oregon member, Cameron_UrSaogh, will give us a bit of his family history.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I use it as well as I need. A goodly part of my family came from both sides of the Irish Sea.

Just a quick translation for the last bit, I mentioned that half of my wife's family spoke Scots Gaelic on the main, and that the family still had a croft/small farm on the Isle of Skye.

As a side note the Croft was offered to us when we got married all those decades ago. I was for it, but my wife wanted to come to the US, and here we are after going back and forth over the years.

And welcome again, to Cameron.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, before we confuse everyone further, I admit I had to cheat and use a translator. I recognized your post immediately as either Irish Gaeilge or Scots Gaelic. And I could not translate either myself, I am just familiar with the look and a bit of the sound. If it would not appear like a thread hijack, I'd have kept going, lol. I have to dig back a few generations, but have either or both in my family. Never could confirm which side of the Irish sea they came from, given a surname that would fit on both. First generation born here is pre Civil War.

Anyway.... hopefully our new Oregon member, Cameron_UrSaogh, will give us a bit of his family history.
How much would you like? So as far as we can nail down, the oldest (notable) relative we can trace would be Sir Ewen Cameron (would be my 9th Great-Grandfather). From there Allen Cameron of Clunes and then ending with Robert Cameron. Who then left the highlands for the Campletown/Peninver area. I actually just visited my great-great grandfather Cameron Brekenridge Cameron's original home in Peninver last July! Wonderful and eye opening trip. Very sobering and yet infuriating during my visit to Culladen. Let's just say the bonny prince was not the greatest large unit leader. Interesting fact, the Cameron family situated on the Jacobites for right flank were the only troops to reach British lines during the battle.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Well you have a lot more to go on than I. I barely have my great great grandfather's name, but have been unable to determine which country he emigrated from. Name was Kennedy, and different census records for his daughter- my great grandmother- give conflicting answers for which countries her parents came from. I just know for certain that she was born in New York in 1860. Her father could have been a famine-era immigrant from Ireland, but we don't know the when any more than we know the where from. He could just as easily be from Scotland. The answers on census records vary from Scotland in 1900, to England in 1910/1920 to Ireland in 1930. Her mother is listed as Wales twice, England once and Isle of Man once. Of course, in that time frame "England" might be considered a generic answer for an American census taker. Anyway, the Celtic part of me remains very confused.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts