M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im here doing research on a precision rifle that i can get for 2400 max not including the scope.

im a big guy so the recoil wont be a factor. i live in cal. so i could not buy the 50cal.

im looking on shooting up to a minimum of 1000 yards.

im open for suggestions on what to get.

i would like scope suggestions to.

hank you thomas

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Savage makes a nice FCP in 223, 308, 300 win and 338 that would be worth looking into. They have some great barrels, but thats if you can get over the action which im not that big of a fan of. Also look into the FN SPR bolt rifles, but for 2400 you can get some sweet set ups for that price. Just be sure its pillar bedded and has a good barrel and trigger and everything else will work out.

Reactions: fisherking

·
Registered
585 Posts
Start Here:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&feature=share[/ame]

Rich

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yes as stated before most 30 cal guns will make it out to 1000 and beyond but a lot of it takes practice and lots of range time not to mention psychological help which I like to call trigger therapy...... to me a good trigger is worth it's weight in gold and if you have good trigger control your well on your way to that 1000 yard goal and beyond.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't discount a 7mm or something like a 260 or 6.5 creedmoore. The last rifle shoot I went to had us shooting out to 1200 yards and the guy who won was running a 260. Also the 300 win mag is an excellent choice especially with all the new bullets coming out.There was a guy on the snipers hide running one throated for 240 gr bergers with a 30" barrel that looked like a laser at long range. Scope wise get some thing with matching turrets and reticle also if you can swing it I'd definitely try to get zero stops. That match I went to I ran a 3x9 ss and more magnification would have been nice but I really wish I had a zero stop cause you can get lost in your scope pretty easily.Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
For shooting up to 1000yds, and occasionally over, a .308 or .260 will be fine.

For regular shooting at 1000yds, out to over 1500yds, a .300WinMag or WSM will work.

For regular shooting at around 2k yards and over, a .338 Lapua will do it at $5 a pop, and that's reloads.

A buddy of mine runs his .300WinMag with handloads past 2,000yds with great success.

Is $2400 your budget for just the rifle, or the rifle, optics and the whole shebang?

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
out to 1k a 308win or an 06 would be a good choice and cheaper than a belted mag. just so you know, once you hit that 1000 yard mark consistantly you'll get tire of it and want to go further. if you know thats as far as you will ever shoot go with the 2 above otherwise go bigger. right now im building a rifle in 300winmag for 1500yds because im tired of wearing out the 1k yd line. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,030 Posts
Look into 7mm 08, good barrel life over the long haul with very high BC bullets without the recoil of the .30 cal.

Reactions: Bad Mojo

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
The 7mm rem mag is a better performer Long range than the 300 win mag. It stays supersonic well after the 300wm. Its just better all around and cheaper too. Which is why I'm building one now.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Savage 110BA in 300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua if you like the idea of driving a monster truck to get groceries. Each are about $1900 if you shop around.

I highly suggest things in the 7mm crowd. My two faves are the 7SAUM and the 7mm08. The SAUM is pretty efficient and uses a bit less powder to do the same thing as the 7WSM. It's perfectly capable of remarkable accuracy at 1000'. Berger VLD's or the Hybrids are a great choice.

Then again, speaking of Savage, I doubt you could go wrong at all getting the LRPV in 6BR with the fast twist barrel. $1200 and 6BR goes 1000'. Wear it out and then spin a new barrel on in a different caliber - 6.5x47, 7-08, .308, .260...

I have a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 and it's good for me but if you like the long game all the time I'd suggest the Nightforce BR or something in a Vortex in 6-24x or 8-32.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was in the same boat as you and ended up getting a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. After doing some homework, I thought this was the best and cheapest long range round.
Good luck and happy shooting!

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
In my neck of the woods the most common long range calibers are the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmore. I've tried to go against them both with my .308 and it's pretty much a waste of effort. I love my .308 but my next long range rifle will be a GA Precision in either 260 or 6.5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts